Most reasonable expectations - wild card?

2 hours ago, artsy said:

Yup, I'm concerned too!

Benching Dan and Gay coming back will help a little, but the main problem with the defense resides with the front 4.  No pass rush and no push/block shedding in the run game. 

It's perplexing because Nnadi and Saunders weren't this bad last year. I saw Jarren Reed play in seattle last year before the injury and he was waaaaay better there. It's like these guys have just decided to stop playing hard. 

Without those guys playing with some damn passion and determination, it won't matter who the LBs are. How in the hell can Bolton/Gay or sorry ass Hitchens do anything when all they see once the ball is snapped is Reed and Nnadi's ASS in their face!

I think it has alot to do with Jones not being inside. Jones at DT cause the interior of teams to focus on him and makes them double him thus freeing up other people.  I have always been under the impression that you build a defense line middle and work your way out.  Hitchens is slow to react and does not get off blocks very well at all. Can this defense be turned around?  Man I do not know but I do know this ----the status quo is not working..... I also believe Clark is a huge distraction and disappointment overall. Something needs to be done about his contract fast. We need a true #2 wr cause Hardman is barely a 3 or 4.  Mahomes is still the best QB walking despite the TO's and record.  Just needs some help in the running game and another wr. Cause its sad when teams can double Hill and Kelce and the #2 WR can't get open.  Okay I am done but my prediction for this season as of how this team has looked is---- Who can we get with the 14th pick in next years draft.    I SAID WHAT I SAID.........

22 minutes ago, arthur75 said:

I think it has alot to do with Jones not being inside. Jones at DT cause the interior of teams to focus on him and makes them double him thus freeing up other people.  I have always been under the impression that you build a defense line middle and work your way out.  Hitchens is slow to react and does not get off blocks very well at all. Can this defense be turned around?  Man I do not know but I do know this ----the status quo is not working..... I also believe Clark is a huge distraction and disappointment overall. Something needs to be done about his contract fast. We need a true #2 wr cause Hardman is barely a 3 or 4.  Mahomes is still the best QB walking despite the TO's and record.  Just needs some help in the running game and another wr. Cause its sad when teams can double Hill and Kelce and the #2 WR can't get open.  Okay I am done but my prediction for this season as of how this team has looked is---- Who can we get with the 14th pick in next years draft.    I SAID WHAT I SAID.........

Hardman so far is equaling Watkins Production and adding to rushing. He has also been open short and Mahomes has thrown somewhere else.

Receiving  5 games  22 199

Rush 3- 27

Watkins all of 2020

Receiving   10 games   37 421

Yea AFC Hardman is starting to look more and more like a #2..pleasantly surprised.

altho I agree with much of what Arthur has to say much of it at this time is unrealistic ie Clarks contract.. there aint a muthrfukn thing the Chiefs can do this season.

Hopefully  a running game can become more of a threat with the O-Line jelling more and more and a different cast of characters  not initialed CEH

lastly I think  predicting a 14th pick is  over the top..low/mid 20's? not soo far fetched

Nnadi: In his first three years in the NFL, Pro Football Focus gave him the following ratings in run defense:

2018: 76.8

2019: 71.9

2020: 81.7

So far, in 2021, Nnadi's run defense rating is down 30 points from last year to 51.1. What's worse is that Nnadi's numbers are not an outlier on the Chiefs' defense.

According to PFF, Nnadi is toward the top of Kansas City's run defense rankings in 2021.

To highlight how bad the Chiefs run defense has been this year, I'll put it this way— there is not a single defensive lineman or linebacker on the Chiefs who has played more than 10 snaps this year that has a run defense rating over 60.

The closest is Willie Gay Jr. at 58.2, and he has only played 25 snaps so far this year.

Unsurprisingly, the three worst run defenders on the Chiefs are:

• Ben Niemann: 37.9

Daniel Sorensen: 33.5

Anthony Hitchens: 30.5

Now, PFF's ratings are not the end-all, be-all to football analysis. But they are a good overall indicator of performance on the field, and when an entire defense scores as poorly as the Chiefs have, it's a problem

13 hours ago, Calichief said:

I was thinking about this; and I agree. This may be a good thing. You would have thought the super bowl would have done it, but it clearly didn’t. As much as the defense is an issue, the offense needs to diversify and Tampa showed teams how to somewhat slow things down and test mahomes and Reid’s patience.

Speaking of Tampa look how patiently they take what's given on offense. Dink and Dunk if you will. Just a mature team with ballers all over + experience. They were no fluke last year...they get the ball to their playmakers. Chiefs need to implement more of that like 2019 when Pat came back from injury.

4 minutes ago, DefensiveMan said:

Speaking of Tampa look how patiently they take what's given on offense. Dink and Dunk if you will. Just a mature team with ballers all over + experience. They were no fluke last year...they get the ball to their playmakers. Chiefs need to implement more of that like 2019 when Pat came back from injury.

Yup. I was listening to EB/Reid/Mahomes presser's this week and they said that they need to be more patient and take what's given. We'll see...That's all I can say. 

10 minutes ago, DefensiveMan said:

Tampa Bay at one time was 7-5 last year. I am sure their fans all freaked out too?

3 minutes ago, artsy said:

Yup. I was listening to EB/Reid/Mahomes presser's this week and they said that they need to be more patient and take what's given. We'll see...That's all I can say. 

Yeah but they have been saying that for a while. Not just this week. Teams are gonna continue to limit big plays and force the offense to grind out more drives. Drives with more plays allows for more turnover opportunities. 

On 10/11/2021 at 2:23 PM, oldtimer said:

I said 12-5 and a 3rd seed because of a tie breaker loss.. that might need to be revised. No way we win the AFCW...6th seed ...mayyyyyybe?

unless they show marked improvement as the season progresses I'd rather just see good draft picks and reload..screw the playoffs.

I still think 12-5 is doable.  The Bills game was ugly but again we gave that game away like the other 2.   I do think you have a point about the division because the Chargers schedule is a cake walk, however we can easily make a game up during the rematch and they still have Baltimore.    I think a Wildcard is the most likely scenario.  

As bad as the D is we still haven't seen what the whole unit looks like together.  Ward is an upgrade, Gay is a definite upgrade, getting Jones back and Clark healthy will only help.   I'm not suggesting we become good but I think we get ourselves out of the historically bad category.

The O will get this figured out and I think ultimately Mahomes wants to win more than make splash plays.  They will get this figured out and reduce the turnovers and we will start smashing teams again.  I mean we still have an historically good O with a new oline and having just finished up a brutal 5 game stretch.  The O will start humming, teams won't be able to bank on our mistakes, and the D will make some strides and this team will be a nightmare down the stretch.    I mean in December Josh Gordon will have had 6 weeks under his belt as well.   Gonna be interesting to see how this team responds....but I'm still holding onto hope!

19 hours ago, Mr Ev said:

Show me how I’m wrong?  Even Mahomes is playing not like himself.  Doesn’t he have 6 ints so far?  I mean, stats speak for themselves.

Hope you are man enough to come back here after we obliterate your team this weekend.   We've lost because we've shot ourselves in the foot.  Our O which is on an historic pace this year (even with all those ints,fumbles, miscues) will eventually clean it up.  Your own hope is we commit 4 turnovers against you and even then your team will have to play lights out.   If we don't commit those turnovers we will be up 21 before Andy calls off the dogs.   An no stats don't speak for themselves.   3 of those int's are because the ball went right through our wr's hands.  One he was tackled mid through.  Only two have been bad decisions.   Any Given Sunday is still possible but I don't think it'll happen. 

6 minutes ago, Lamardirts said:

I still think 12-5 is doable.  The Bills game was ugly but again we gave that game away like the other 2.   I do think you have a point about the division because the Chargers schedule is a cake walk, however we can easily make a game up during the rematch and they still have Baltimore.    I think a Wildcard is the most likely scenario.  

As bad as the D is we still haven't seen what the whole unit looks like together.  Ward is an upgrade, Gay is a definite upgrade, getting Jones back and Clark healthy will only help.   I'm not suggesting we become good but I think we get ourselves out of the historically bad category.

The O will get this figured out and I think ultimately Mahomes wants to win more than make splash plays.  They will get this figured out and reduce the turnovers and we will start smashing teams again.  I mean we still have an historically good O with a new oline and having just finished up a brutal 5 game stretch.  The O will start humming, teams won't be able to bank on our mistakes, and the D will make some strides and this team will be a nightmare down the stretch.    I mean in December Josh Gordon will have had 6 weeks under his belt as well.   Gonna be interesting to see how this team responds....but I'm still holding onto hope!

The Defense CAN get better, but we don't know if they will. Right now it appears that a lot of the problems are stemming from a pure lack of effort (the front four, specifically the DTs and Frank Clark) The offense WILL get better because they are good, with a chance to be great...again.

I predicted 11-6 in preseason, and I'm sticking with that. That record should get them in the playoffs. However, guess which teams they will likely see in the playoffs?

Haha..The same one's that drilled them in the regular season. They gotta get if figured out on defense, plain and simple.

20 hours ago, Mr Ev said:

Show me how I’m wrong?  Even Mahomes is playing not like himself.  Doesn’t he have 6 ints so far?  I mean, stats speak for themselves.

There was a stretch in the 2019 season where they went 2-4.  They won the Superbowl.

It’s a long season.  If they are still under .500 after week 15 then I’ll worry.

On 10/15/2021 at 3:46 PM, kkuenn said:

Lol but still leads in TDs. Conveniently forgot that huh?

Fine, you got me.  He does keep throwing very bad interceptions, and I’m not counting the passes that are dropped/tipped. I’m sorry I just don’t see the chiefs are being relevant in the post season with their current play.  

We need a healthy defense. With Jones back, it'll be interesting to see if we can start pressuring the QB and getting sacks. I mean, it's been a fucking dry spell, and zero sacks won't work against a playoff-caliber team. 

Came close today, but clark couldn't get him on the ground... yeah it was a fluke, but dammit that's how the season has gone for the defensive line this year.

6 hours ago, mex said:

We need a healthy defense. With Jones back, it'll be interesting to see if we can start pressuring the QB and getting sacks. I mean, it's been a fucking dry spell, and zero sacks won't work against a playoff-caliber team. 

Came close today, but clark couldn't get him on the ground... yeah it was a fluke, but dammit that's how the season has gone for the defensive line this year.

With Clark and Danna owning the sides, need to put Jones back in the middle FFS. 

8 hours ago, Chiefmanzada said:

With Clark and Danna owning the sides, need to put Jones back in the middle FFS. 

One thing that is not said enough and fuckin coaches need to be aware. 
jones in the middle not only allows him to be against guards and centres vs all pro tackles, it’s the fastest way to QB and it’s pressure up Center. Plus he is the one who bats balls. Where the fuck are all those batted balls. 
On DE all we need is someone who can contain and cross our fingers get pressure. 
I really like danna and Wharton. They are playing well and deserve as many snaps as possible. 

• 1 month later...

54 minutes ago, jetlord said:

Chiefs lose four games out of six and the whining begins.  Chiefs win five in a row and the whining continues.  Chiefs' fans are sure consistent.  

I’m a terrible fan, I can’t watch games anymore.  I know I need to re-evaluate my priorities in life when football gives me such ups and downs.  I’ve started to read during games.  Finished 12 books so far.