KC Chiefs: The Super Bowl shine is starting to come off Brett Veach

I Have made this point. Agree about 85% with this article.  

Per Addict Article.

The Kansas City Chiefs were likely viewed as one of the best situations in the NFL ever since Patrick Mahomes had his coming-out party in 2018. With a future hall of fame quarterback on his rookie deal, a good, young nucleus that featured Tyreek Hill and Travis Kelce, and a lot of money to spend, any general manager would love to take over that situation.

General manager Brett Veach had exactly that to work with when he took over the role from former GM John Dorsey.

Veach was able to take what John Dorsey built through mainly the draft and put the finishing touches on the roster for them to complete a Super Bowl run.

However, if we’re being completely honest, John Dorsey mixed the batter, he baked the cake, he put the icing on, and designed the top. Veach just put the candles on it. That’s the Chiefs Super Bowl team in a nutshell.

Yes, Brett Veach “rebuilt” the defense leading into the team’s 2019 Super Bowl-winning season, which we’ll get back to in a little bit, but the main parts were already in place.

We need to have a conversation about Brett Veach

We can give credit to Brett Veach for rebuilding the offensive line, but it almost seems like he focused too much on the offensive line and ignored other positions in the process.

The second biggest reason the Chiefs lost the Super Bowl last season was because of the defense. The defensive line couldn’t get any pressure and the secondary didn’t have many answers for Mike Evans and the Buccaneers either. What did they do to improve either of those spots?

WR2? The team tried to sell us on Mecole Hardman taking the next step but we’ve seen enough.

Essentially, the team patched up one hole, but they didn’t notice the other 5 holes in the boat that opened up while they were busy working on the first one.

So, at what point do we start to have a serious conversation about Brett Veach and his roster-building tactics?

https://arrowheadaddict.com/2021/10/16/kc-chiefs-super-bowl-shine-starting-come-off-brett-veach/

Let’s go over some of Veach’s most notable moves and draft picks since he’s been here.

• Drafting Breeland Speaks with the first pick in 2018
  • Trading for Frank Clark and paying him $100 million
  • Drafting Mecole Hardman with the first pick in 2019
  • Drafting Clyde Edwards-Helaire with the first pick in 2020
  • Signing Anthony Hitchens for 4 years, $45 million

How many of those moves would you legitimately say you’re happy with and wouldn’t change? To me, they’re all misses. Maybe some will argue in favor of Clyde Edwards-Helaire or Mecole Hardman, but this team signed Josh Gordon for a reason and Edwards-Helaire is an average running back. Point blank. His best games are against bottom five rushing defenses. Those are the facts.

Again, your hit rate has to be higher. I understand Veach has had some success with later-round picks but you’re going to need more than the occasional hit on a 4th or 5th rounder. At some point, bad moves catch up to a team and that’s exactly what’s happened to the Chiefs.

I’ve seen a lot of people say “How dare you question Veach after he took this team to back-to-back Super Bowls and three straight AFC Championship games!?”. The goal is to create longevity and maximize your Super Bowl window. So far, Veach has failed at that. Yes, the Super Bowl was great but it took three straight historical comebacks to even make that happen and I think we can all agree that if the Chiefs only have the 2019 Super Bowl to show for in this next five-year stretch, it’s a failure.

One of the biggest reasons the fanbase is upset with the front office is because of that 32nd ranked defense. There’s no excuse for it. Whether it’s talent or coaching or even a combination of the two, Brett Veach is going to end up taking heat either way.

He failed to bring in the proper pieces. Letting Melvin Ingram go to the Steelers for dirt cheap and then turning around and signing Alex Okafor the next day was a complete whiff. Bringing back Dan Sorenson and then neglecting the free-agent safety market when the team knew Juan Thronhill wasn’t ready is malpractice. Moving the team’s best defensive lineman to a different position that ultimately made him worse was also a travesty.

Everyone anticipates the defense needing to be completely overhauled this offseason regardless of what happens from now on, but are people forgetting this defense was just rebuilt two years ago? Something tells me the general manager didn’t do his job the first time if we’re having this same conversation two years later.

The Chiefs have a chance to rebound and get on the right track this weekend at Washington, but if the score is even remotely close or god forbid the Chiefs lose, heads may have to roll.

Obviously going back to back superbowls and winning 1 is fantastic. However, when mamhomes is the best qb in the league on a rookie deal more than 1 superbowl should have happened. Not letting mahomes play as a rookie was wiff 1. Not firing bob sutton earlier was wiff 2. These moves in the draft and free agency are wiff 3. I would also argue dave toub having roster say and being a terrible special teams unit is also a wiff.

that being said we were close to 3 straight superbowls and to not win back to back our entire o line had to be injured, refs calling every tom brady incompletion a penalty , and our coach and team distracted by off the field issues

10 hours ago, Iluvhouse24 said:

"The goal is to create longevity and maximize your Super Bowl window. So far, Veach has failed at that. Yes, the Super Bowl was great but it took three straight historical comebacks to even make that happen and I think we can all agree that if the Chiefs only have the 2019 Super Bowl to show for in this next five-year stretch, it’s a failure."

This is probably the most asinine thing I have seen you post here and that's saying something.

There hasn't been a Super Bowl played without the Chiefs in it since 2018 and we came an off sides penalty away from playing in that one. Yet somehow you think that a team that is one penalty away from playing in the last 3 Superbowls is failing to maximize its Superbowl window? 🤣🤣 Consider the sheer stupidity of that statement.

Obviously you did not read the article because that statement was lifted directly from it, AFC West did not come up with it on his own so why attack him for posting it

1 hour ago, KC Warpaint said:

Obviously you did not read the article because that statement was lifted directly from it, AFC West did not come up with it on his own so why attack him for posting it

Anybody posting an article from the addict blog deserves whatever flak they get.  That site is trash and the bloggers don't know shit about football.  It's the NFL equivalent to a celebrity gossip site.   There are much better sources out there with actual nuanced takes and football knowledge.  Not surprising that some posters here get their takes from that site.

1 hour ago, KC Warpaint said:

we damn well better win, i am going to the game today!!!!!😀

We will win. And we will win next week too. And the following. I do not know exactly why it takes being embarrassed to open people's eyes sometimes, but it does.

Thornhill getting  a start is a good sign. Having Gay is gonna help. Getting Ward back eventually and getting Fenton more playing time is gonna help. And eventually kicking Jones back inside will help. It's gonna be on Veach to go find a FA or trade for a vet on an expiring contract at DE that can play solid football for the second half of the year. Rest assured he will do this.

But the point is there is ways we can improve at every level of this defense and they will. Some is addition by subtraction with Sorenson, Niemann, and Hughes. Regardless this team isn't gonna just fade into the abyss. 

This is all getting a little crazy.  We are a few turnovers away from being 4-1.  Yes, it's frustrating, but the early season has been kind of a perfect storm of a tough schedule, some ill timed injuries, and getting everyone's best shot.  Aside from a few tipped drops that resulted in INTs, Mahomes numbers this year are actually in line with, and slightly better than last year's numbers through the same period.   The lack of a pass rush is the biggest problem that's dragging this team down, by quite a long distance, with turnovers being 2nd.  This team is still very good, but will be held back until Reed, Jones and Clark start contributing something, anything.   We have the worst defensive front in football right now, and a metric ton of money tied up in that very same group.  

I don’t know. As far as this years draft goes, he got 2 very good starters. I think Bolton, Kaindoh or Grey need to become quality starters to say it was a really good draft. I think it will be. 
Reed was a good signing just didn’t know he was taking a year off. I wanted Houston or Ingram, neither has more than 10 tackles and 1 sack so probably good non-signings. Let Breeland walk who has stunk it up. 5 new starters on the online. Pretty good year for him if you ask me. 

3 minutes ago, DieHard said:

I don’t know. As far as this years draft goes, he got 2 very good starters. I think Bolton, Kaindoh or Grey need to become quality starters to say it was a really good draft. I think it will be. 
Reed was a good signing just didn’t know he was taking a year off. I wanted Houston or Ingram, neither has more than 10 tackles and 1 sack so probably good non-signings. Let Breeland walk who has stunk it up. 5 new starters on the online. Pretty good year for him if you ask me. 

Don't you know u have to hold veach to a 100% hit rate on all signings and draft picks?  I mean no gm in history has ever even sniffed that but RAWR anyway.

23 hours ago, xen said:

Don't you know u have to hold veach to a 100% hit rate on all signings and draft picks?  I mean no gm in history has ever even sniffed that but RAWR anyway.

Yep, if you are going to point to the bad picks,  you have to account for the good ones too. Also the trades and FA pick ups etc. Clark sucks but we get a SB ring with him and to me that is worth every pain we are dealing with now.

Veach is not a star but he's not garbage either. I think he's an average GM that wouldn't have won a SB without Mahomes in such a short tenure but his long term capabilities are to be seen. He seems to focus too much on future potential than initial talent in most drafts but that could be something he inherited from Dorsey. I don't think he has the positional priorities all figured out but that's generally a thing about the whole front office as they need to come together to define specific needs. I'm not sure if he's his own man as much as a guy doing Reid's bidding but that's up to Hunt to figure out. 

Overall I think this year's draft showed some awareness about positional needs and next year will probably a good time to see what he's actually capable of. It's not really fair to judge a GM based on his early drafts considering that he had some nice additions later on. 

2 minutes ago, sith13 said:

Veach is not a star but he's not garbage either. I think he's an average GM that wouldn't have won a SB without Mahomes in such a short tenure but his long term capabilities are to be seen. He seems to focus too much on future potential than initial talent in most drafts but that could be something he inherited from Dorsey. I don't think he has the positional priorities all figured out but that's generally a thing about the whole front office as they need to come together to define specific needs. I'm not sure if he's his own man as much as a guy doing Reid's bidding but that's up to Hunt to figure out. 

Overall I think this year's draft showed some awareness about positional needs and next year will probably a good time to see what he's actually capable of. It's not really fair to judge a GM based on his early drafts considering that he had some nice additions later on. 

yup