KC Chiefs: The Super Bowl shine is starting to come off Brett Veach

Give Veach a little credit for fixing the O-line.  That's what everyone was screaming for and he used a first round pick trade, an expensive FA, and three draft picks to completely overhaul the line in six months.  Is it his fault that Gay hurt his toe or Thornhill blew a knee in 2019?  Clark probably made the difference in the SB winning run so would you give that up to get rid of his cap hit?  Veach is working with limited cap room and end of round draft picks.  He's juggling contracts to keep the best QB and a few key players here long term.  My main criticism is that he gets a little too cute trading picks for potential that often doesn't pan out.  Speaks, Kpass, and even BoPete Keyes are examples.  But overall, Veach has kept the team at or near the top and entertaining.  No team can afford to have above average players at every position.  Lets see what Veach can do after shedding the contracts of LDT, Hichens, Clark, etc. after this season.   

Hey, we can go back to gm’s like Peterson and Pioli who did nothing?

used recycled qbs slow wr’s?

gm’s who hire offensive co. Who smash the ball into the centers ass every play. Think we hired 3 in a row.

Veach is good because he gives no fucks. He’s going to TRY to win. I’ll take that every time. He’s also not blind. He clearly watches the game and sees what’s going on.

I don’t think our formers gms even watched the games.

43 minutes ago, Calichief said:

Hey, we can go back to gm’s like Peterson and Pioli who did nothing?

used recycled qbs slow wr’s?

gm’s who hire offensive co. Who smash the ball into the centers ass every play. Think we hired 3 in a row.

Veach is good because he gives no fucks. He’s going to TRY to win. I’ll take that every time. He’s also not blind. He clearly watches the game and sees what’s going on.

I don’t think our formers gms even watched the games.

TBH, I really like the way Dorsey got players. I know him and Reid didn't get along, but I thought Dorsey could draft well.

48 minutes ago, Lamardirts said:

Guys like that can’t take the hit to their ego or he would still be here

The straw that broke the camels back was when he cut Jeremy Maclin without talking to Reid about it first. Reid had just attended Maclins wedding the weekend before. They were close. Dorsey was an egotistical prick and he sealed his own fate.

It does suck because as a talent evaluator and scout he is as good as they come. 

On 10/18/2021 at 10:00 AM, Calichief said:

He’s also not blind. He clearly watches the game and sees what’s going on.

Good. Because we are 32 in scoring defense. The D has gotten worse every year. GMs will look great with Mahomes on offense. There is no Mahomes on D. Time to get to work on at least an average defense. 

I think you give him this offseason to rectify things.    Frank Clark was averaging 10 sacks a year and brought a mentality.  Its a horrible contract but who could have know.   Anthony Hitchens was a JAG from the get go in Dallas and we sign him for 5/45m.  Yikes.   The problem he is going to have is how does he sign Brown, Hill and find a 10 plus sack guy to pair with Jones this offseason.   The defense has some guys to build around.  Jones, Gay, Bolton, Snead, Thornhill and then some guys that help fill in the gap like Wharton, Danna, Fenton, and Saunders.    I think it will come down to HB or a DE and to me as much as I love the Badger it has to be a DE.  He has worked magic before and he will again.  Also COVID wasn't his fault and really screwed his plan.   Mahomes contract and an ever increasing cap would have helped him address the defensive inefficiencies that we are seeing.   

29 minutes ago, Lamardirts said:

I think you give him this offseason to rectify things.    Frank Clark was averaging 10 sacks a year and brought a mentality.  Its a horrible contract but who could have know.   Anthony Hitchens was a JAG from the get go in Dallas and we sign him for 5/45m.  Yikes.   The problem he is going to have is how does he sign Brown, Hill and find a 10 plus sack guy to pair with Jones this offseason.   The defense has some guys to build around.  Jones, Gay, Bolton, Snead, Thornhill and then some guys that help fill in the gap like Wharton, Danna, Fenton, and Saunders.    I think it will come down to HB or a DE and to me as much as I love the Badger it has to be a DE.  He has worked magic before and he will again.  Also COVID wasn't his fault and really screwed his plan.   Mahomes contract and an ever increasing cap would have helped him address the defensive inefficiencies that we are seeing.   

Yea, Veach has work cut out for him. But I think he has to be better in the Draft this year. Like..really good!

I would think he could use the draft to cover the DE and SS positions and cut both Clark and HB. There goes the leadership, but other guys will have to step up and provide that. Franchise tag Brown and resign Hill. 

1 hour ago, Lamardirts said:

We have the worst defense in the NFL so I read your post and highlighted many reasons why. 

1 hour ago, Biggjliv4 said:

So let's hear some names you'd like instead of Veach? AFC Championship game and two SB later...forgot how many teams have been churning as well as we have the last few years that don't include Brady?

None of this grass is greener stuff without real names of better solutions. 

I dont think KC should replace Veach and they wont. I do think some of the challenges this team is facing is Gm and Hc and Coaches and players. Yes great team no doubt. Competitive yes. Room for improvement in all areas yes. Veach is learning on the job and Im sure he is getting more effective and confident every day. 

2 hours ago, Biggjliv4 said:

So let's hear some names you'd like instead of Veach? AFC Championship game and two SB later...forgot how many teams have been churning as well as we have the last few years that don't include Brady?

None of this grass is greener stuff without real names of better solutions. 

He can stay for a couple years and live off the SB win he just has to fix the dumpster fire known as our defense. 

1 minute ago, azchief21 said:

He can stay for a couple years and live off the SB win he just has to fix the dumpster fire known as our defense. 

He now has job security. Thats a good thing. It allows him to take chances and not be in fear of losing his job. Im confident KC will get on top of this. Just hope they stop shelling out big free agent money and build with the draft.

The defense has been and still is terrible this year, but the fixes may not be that far away.  Shed the Clark contract, find one solid DE.  Dump Neiman/Hitchens and get a healthy Gay and more experienced Bolton.  Add another LB with coverage skills.  Let Sorenson go, use HB, Thornhill, and Watt and draft another safety of the future.  Draft one CB #2 to complement Sneed and Fenton.  Let Ward walk.  So resign HB and find a decent DE and CB and the defense could be acceptable.  With the only big need on offense another WR, the emphasis should be on D this off season.  If Gordon can contribute, maybe signing him to a short term contract could even take away the need to draft a WR.  It's not all as bleak and the Chiefs' record makes it seem.  

6 hours ago, artsy said:

Yea, Veach has work cut out for him. But I think he has to be better in the Draft this year. Like..really good!

I would think he could use the draft to cover the DE and SS positions and cut both Clark and HB. There goes the leadership, but other guys will have to step up and provide that. Franchise tag Brown and resign Hill. 

This last draft seem to change in philosophy.   He drafted well imo.   We got at least 3 starters and 2 of the 3 could be pro bowlers before their rookie deal is up...shoot Creed might be this year.   Bolton leads all rookies in tackles.   Gray is a contributor.  Kaindoh is the big project.   The only whiff was Powell who could eventually be a rotation 6-7th wr.   He seemed to draft higherfloor players earlier and took his big swings later compared to other drafts were he swung and missed early on.   

Tagging Brown won't be cheap imo, it'll cost 20 million just to tag him.   Hill can be extended and his money moved around.   Cutting Frank, Hitchens and letting HB walk will save enough money to get those two things done.    He has to get creative and find a 10 sack guy to pair with Jones as well as draft a 1st round DE.    Time will tell if he can accomplish this.

4 hours ago, azchief21 said:

We have the worst defense in the NFL so I read your post and highlighted many reasons why. 

We aren't the worse because of Thornhill, HB, Jones, Gay, and Sneed.    We are the worst because of Sorensen, Nieman, Hitchens, Frank, and Spags.  There is a difference.

1 minute ago, Lamardirts said:

This last draft seem to change in philosophy.   He drafted well imo.   We got at least 3 starters and 2 of the 3 could be pro bowlers before their rookie deal is up...shoot Creed might be this year.   Bolton leads all rookies in tackles.   Gray is a contributor.  Kaindoh is the big project.   The only whiff was Powell who could eventually be a rotation 6-7th wr.   He seemed to draft higherfloor players earlier and took his big swings later compared to other drafts were he swung and missed early on.   

Tagging Brown won't be cheap imo, it'll cost 20 million just to tag him.   Hill can be extended and his money moved around.   Cutting Frank, Hitchens and letting HB walk will save enough money to get those two things done.    He has to get creative and find a 10 sack guy to pair with Jones as well as draft a 1st round DE.    Time will tell if he can accomplish this.

You are probably right. I hate to see HB walk, but I get it. Too many holes to break the bank on a 30 yo safety, but damn I love that guy.