KC Chiefs: The Super Bowl shine is starting to come off Brett Veach

Don't shoot me for posting this, but I think the Chiefs might be better off signing Clark to a much cheaper contract like they did Sammy last year.  If Clark gets healthy and plays solid, not lights out, he won't be getting great offers from other teams.  Could be had cheap.  That would mean finding just one other DE with a little time to develop.  Clark showed improvement last week and if it's a trend, then he's not a liability, just not worth his inflated contract.  

1 minute ago, jetlord said:

Don't shoot me for posting this, but I think the Chiefs might be better off signing Clark to a much cheaper contract like they did Sammy last year.  If Clark gets healthy and plays solid, not lights out, he won't be getting great offers from other teams.  Could be had cheap.  That would mean finding just one other DE with a little time to develop.  Clark showed improvement last week and if it's a trend, then he's not a liability, just not worth his inflated contract.  

I wouldn’t mind him on the cheap. He is pretty injury prone but can contribute. 

3 minutes ago, azchief21 said:

You don't get this bad without everybody pitching in a little bit

Disagree.  HB loses a lot because he has to cover deep with Sorenson on the field.  The lack of athleticism from Sorenson and Neiman makes the whole defense look bad.  One or two players out of position kills the whole scheme.  The defense was better last game for three reasons.  1. Thornhill played all the snaps.  2. Fenton played all the snaps.  3. the Redskins' offense isn't any good. 

6 minutes ago, jetlord said:

Disagree.  HB loses a lot because he has to cover deep with Sorenson on the field.  The lack of athleticism from Sorenson and Neiman makes the whole defense look bad.  One or two players out of position kills the whole scheme.  The defense was better last game for three reasons.  1. Thornhill played all the snaps.  2. Fenton played all the snaps.  3. the Redskins' offense isn't any good. 

Good points but it seems like Sneed, Jones, the entire DL, Hitchens have taken a step back. Though Sneed looked better. Hughs and Baker aren't good. I agree Fenton was impressive. I like his attitude. And it was Heiniken and the WTF team so we'll see. 

13 minutes ago, Iluvhouse24 said:

Wait...you are saying we should release him, eat 13 mill in dead money, then turn around and pay him to come back next yr on a cheaper deal?

Releasing him next year saves 12 mill unless we extend him. I may be way off on that. Would extending at a little over vet min increase that savings? I have to admit I am talking out of my ass on the cap. 

Ive decided to reserve judgement on this d until Jones AND Clark are playing together.  Yes Nieman and Sorenson suck, but it appears that maybe Spags has learned a LITTLE and using other players.  Lets hope getting Jones back will make this dline much better as they won't be able to double everyone with him in there. And although Clark is what he is, he still commands a line to account for him.

Were it not for a some untimely turnovers, this team would be 5-1 coming off 2 Super Bowls, 3 AFCCGs, and 5 straight division titles.  We have locked down the best quarterback in the league, and possibly history of the league, for 10 years. I'm probably ready to keep shining for a couple more games.    

I've been avoiding this thread, and have finally read thought it.  There are some good point made, but I'm very surprised not one mentioned the one thing Veach is mainly responsible for. Scouting and aggressively pushing for Mahomes.

i think we can all agree, even AFCWEST; that without Mahomes there may have not been any SB appearances or wins. 

Watching interviews after the fact, it was clear that he had to convince Reid to even look at Mahomes seriously. 

Dorsey was  good, but what about this scenario. What if he remained the GM, they didn't take Veach serious enough to draft Mahomes, and Dorsey just kept drafting the Chiefs players. 

Would Dorsey's drafting have been so much better that the Chiefs would have won a SB with Alex Smith at QB?  I like Alex Smith, but given the competition in the AFC at the time, I'm not so sure. 

I guess the best scenario would have been keeping Dorsey, while still drafting Mahomes. 

My fear is that, since winning the SB;  Clark Hunt is not as hardcore as he appeared to be when he fired Peterson. That maybe Reid is pulling the strings and Veach is not in total control. His own man as someone mentioned.

Said this in game thread. The drafts are not total losses. Veach does go out and get a FA needed, not his fault what we get is not what we expected.  How many here loved the idea of a Thuney, Brown, Clark or Hitchens at the time and are now complaining. 

https://chiefswire.usatoday.com/gallery/kansas-city-chiefs-2021-nfl-draft-gm-brett-veach-draft-picks-history/

• 1 month later...

1 hour ago, reesebobby said:

Are you guys still ready to make a bunch of changes?  

Yes.  I'd like to trade EB for a third and draft a WR, DE, and CB while nailing down OBJ and HB.  Release Robinson, Sorenson, Neiman, and Wylie and get a transitional S/LB in FA.  Is that a bunch?

32 minutes ago, jetlord said:

Yes.  I'd like to trade EB for a third and draft a WR, DE, and CB while nailing down OBJ and HB.  Release Robinson, Sorenson, Neiman, and Wylie and get a transitional S/LB in FA.  Is that a bunch?

I agree with this fully. 

Just now, Calichief said:

Random thought after reading that, Wylie was bitch slapped yesterday. Under the radar.

Man I hope Niang can come back. Rather him get the experience knowing he can learn and improve than Wylie giving his best and being beaten all the time.

On 10/17/2021 at 11:06 AM, moons314 said:

This is all getting a little crazy.  We are a few turnovers away from being 4-1.  Yes, it's frustrating, but the early season has been kind of a perfect storm of a tough schedule, some ill timed injuries, and getting everyone's best shot.  Aside from a few tipped drops that resulted in INTs, Mahomes numbers this year are actually in line with, and slightly better than last year's numbers through the same period.   The lack of a pass rush is the biggest problem that's dragging this team down, by quite a long distance, with turnovers being 2nd.  This team is still very good, but will be held back until Reed, Jones and Clark start contributing something, anything.   We have the worst defensive front in football right now, and a metric ton of money tied up in that very same group.  

Isn't it funny that the addition of Ingram, CJ and FC getting healthy led to the Chiefs getting really good up front, and suddenly the back end isn't a problem? I think we've definitely upgraded at our linebacker positions, but the secondary concerns were always overblown because we couldn't get pressure.  It's amazing what controlling the LOS can do for a defense.