Texans released OLB Whitney Mercilus. Mercilus. Interested?

Does Mercilus still have anything left in the tank?

Mercilus’ best season came in 2015, when he was lined up next to all-pro defensive end JJ Watt. Mercilus finished the season with 12.0 sacks that year.

Since then, he has only topped 7.5 sacks in twice. That being said, Mercilus is more athletic than his numbers might suggest. Prior to this season, Mercilus played outside linebacker for the Texans and was frequently utilized in pass coverage.

Coming off a bad year in 2020 when Pro Football Focus gave him an overall defensive grade of 39.5, Mercilus has rebounded in 2021. As of Tuesday, his current PFF grade is 61.1, with a pass-rush grade of 60.8.

This is by no means a world-beating grade, but to put things in perspective, it would be good enough to rank second on the Chiefs’ defensive line, trailing only Tershawn Wharton’s grade of 61.2, and Mercilus would be tied for the lead in sacks on the team with three.

A couple of weeks back, Houston Texans lead film analyst John Harris broke down one of Mercilus’ sacks as part of Houston’s “Telestrator” series on YouTube.

Just based on this single rep, it would appear that even at age 31, Mercilus still possesses the athletic ability to beat a top-tier tackle off the snap, and he has the bend to get around the corner and get to the quarterback.

In the video, Mercilus does an excellent job of utilizing his inside hand to rip down on the tackle's outside arm, preventing the lineman from getting into his body, allowing himself to stay clean and outside of the tackle’s frame. That provides him the leverage needed to turn the corner with very little contact and get after the quarterback.

This is only one play. But it’s enough for me to say that I might take a swing on Mercilus on an affordable one-year deal.

Is there an actual chance that the Chiefs land the veteran pass rusher?

In short, yes. Where there’s smoke, there’s fire, and there seems to be a lot of smoke surrounding this story. Despite the fact that the Chargers may also be bidding for Mercilus’ services, I think that it makes sense for him to choose Kansas City.

For starters, his former college roommate and Texans teammate Jeff Allen reside in the Kansas City area, and the two remain close to this day. Mercilus and Kansas City’s defensive leader, safety Tyrann Mathieu, played together in Houston in 2018.

When everything is said and done, it wouldn’t shock me if Mercilus is wearing red and gold by the end of the week.

1 minute ago, AFCWEST said:

Chargers are said to be interested as well. Another reason to jump on this? 

He said he wants to go to a contender.....I guess it will come down to which team he thinks is a "real" contender this year: KC or LA.

Hmm..

We are one game out of first.  So while LA had a better record, NFL players know we are better than our record and he will get a better opportunity to shine here which could possibly net him a decent deal in the off-season if he can show something.   LA’s front is loaded and it wouldn’t surprise me if they are doing this mainly to keep him from us.

What is it this year that the Chiefs can't seem to attract new talent - or maybe it's they don't make enough effort?  Maybe both...

Ju-Ju signs back with Steelers for less money.  This I get to some extent.

Houston signs with Ravens.  Maybe some bad-blood.

Ingram comes in for visit, Chiefs were interested, and signs with Steelers.

Mercilous signs - for less money - with GB.

All of these players would have improved the Chiefs and all chose elsewhere.  Maybe they see something that is becoming clearer to at least me.  This team (at least on defense) might be too broken to carry them to the SB this year.  

Oh well, as AZChief said, at least we have Neiman.  

1 hour ago, TomahawkChop said:

What is it this year that the Chiefs can't seem to attract new talent - or maybe it's they don't make enough effort?  Maybe both...

Ju-Ju signs back with Steelers for less money.  This I get to some extent.

Houston signs with Ravens.  Maybe some bad-blood.

Ingram comes in for visit, Chiefs were interested, and signs with Steelers.

Mercilous signs - for less money - with GB.

All of these players would have improved the Chiefs and all chose elsewhere.  Maybe they see something that is becoming clearer to at least me.  This team (at least on defense) might be too broken to carry them to the SB this year.  

Oh well, as AZChief said, at least we have Neiman.  

Those guys aren’t doing very well. Worse than what we got. Probably a good decision to let them sign elsewhere.