Physical defense.

Chiefs don't need to be physical, this defense needs speed, speed and more speed.  Speed compliments what we do on offense better.  We really need to get a lot faster, and find some ends that can create pressure while moving Jones back inside.  Front 4 pressure with ranging speed on the back end, similar to what the Tampa defense did to us in the Super Bowl. 

6 hours ago, moons314 said:

Chiefs don't need to be physical, this defense needs speed, speed and more speed.  Speed compliments what we do on offense better.  We really need to get a lot faster, and find some ends that can create pressure while moving Jones back inside.  Front 4 pressure with ranging speed on the back end, similar to what the Tampa defense did to us in the Super Bowl. 

I agree with speed but you cannot ignore physicality on defense. We are soft and teams know it. There is a physical aspect and mindset you need to play defense with. 
hope this is the game where it shows because no chief wants to be embarrassed by Henry. 

Henry gets he breakout runs long runs. If you take those away he is not as scary as the talking heads make him out to be. He may get a big run against KC but thats not the game decider. Keep him pinned up on the majority of attempts and he is not unstoppable. To me its still more likely the Titans passing game hurts KC.

KC defense needs a couple of stops and a turnover on defense. Offense can take care of the rest.

Chiefs LB Nick Bolton leads all rookies in tackles through Week 6

https://chiefswire.usatoday.com/2021/10/20/kansas-city-chiefs-nick-bolton-nfl-rookie-tackle-leader-through-week-6/

Kansas City’s primary deficiency last season was their inability to stop the ground game though, and Bolton has certainly become an intimidating presence in the defensive backfield, sitting alone at the top for the Chiefs with five tackles for loss. His nose for the football when attacking downhill is undeniable and should excite fans who have clamored for better defensive output. Bolton isn’t done developing yet, still improving every week in his effort to help steer Kansas City back on track for another championship as a young budding star.

15 hours ago, moons314 said:

Fast LBs that can hit well are the key IMO. That's what kept Seattle defense so nasty over the years and seems to be working wherever utilized. 

16 hours ago, moons314 said:

I dont necessarily agree here. Physical is an attitude a defense needs. Especially on the defensive line. But in general we want physicality. LBs that shed blockers and thump, instead of being blocked 1 on 1 by a fucking WR or TE like Hitchens. CBs that willingly and happily support the run. Safeties who lay the wood when a receiver comes across the middle or anytime they are helping out in coverage over the top. "You may make the catch, but you are gonna feel it."

I want a defense that the opposing team knows they are in for a long day going against us, and is gonna walk out with a limp.

18 minutes ago, Iluvhouse24 said:

I dont necessarily agree here. Physical is an attitude a defense needs. Especially on the defensive line. But in general we want physicality. LBs that shed blockers and thump, instead of being blocked 1 on 1 by a fucking WR or TE like Hitchens. CBs that willingly and happily support the run. Safeties who lay the wood when a receiver comes across the middle or anytime they are helping out in coverage over the top. "You may make the catch, but you are gonna feel it."

I want a defense that the opposing team knows they are in for a long day going against us, and is gonna walk out with a limp.

I'm with Moons here.  Speed is a greater complement to what we do on offense which should be the primary driver of our defensive strategy.

With today's defenders you can have one or the other without using Super high draft picks and an outsize effect on your cap.  Sure it would be nice but not realistic from a standpoint of keeping the offense stacked at the same time.

We have shown at this point that when the offense is operating how we know they can, heavy rushing attack is not an effective strategy against us.

We need to plan around pass defense; so pass rush and backend with fast linebackers.  

This is not to say they should have attitude but you can learn techniques to get off blocks or just be too quick to block in space.

4 hours ago, AFCWEST said:

Chiefs LB Nick Bolton leads all rookies in tackles through Week 6

https://chiefswire.usatoday.com/2021/10/20/kansas-city-chiefs-nick-bolton-nfl-rookie-tackle-leader-through-week-6/

Kansas City’s primary deficiency last season was their inability to stop the ground game though, and Bolton has certainly become an intimidating presence in the defensive backfield, sitting alone at the top for the Chiefs with five tackles for loss. His nose for the football when attacking downhill is undeniable and should excite fans who have clamored for better defensive output. Bolton isn’t done developing yet, still improving every week in his effort to help steer Kansas City back on track for another championship as a young budding star.

This is awesome. Bolton is a strong force we have in the run game. Very exciting to see this young man continue to develop. 

1 hour ago, xen said:

I'm with Moons here.  Speed is a greater complement to what we do on offense which should be the primary driver of our defensive strategy.

With today's defenders you can have one or the other without using Super high draft picks and an outsize effect on your cap.  Sure it would be nice but not realistic from a standpoint of keeping the offense stacked at the same time.

We have shown at this point that when the offense is operating how we know they can, heavy rushing attack is not an effective strategy against us.

We need to plan around pass defense; so pass rush and backend with fast linebackers.  

This is not to say they should have attitude but you can learn techniques to get off blocks or just be too quick to block in space.

So do you think a 3rd or 4th round safety could come in and start here next yr? Because the way things look, Badger is an expense we can't justify and the dude is slow anyway.

Obviously our early picks need to be on our dline. That group has to be addressed and I mean interior and edge both. With Jones cap hit at almost 30 mill next yr, and Clarks dead money at 13ish, we MUST have impact players on rookie deals in that group. 

33 minutes ago, Iluvhouse24 said:

So do you think a 3rd or 4th round safety could come in and start here next yr? Because the way things look, Badger is an expense we can't justify and the dude is slow anyway.

Obviously our early picks need to be on our dline. That group has to be addressed and I mean interior and edge both. With Jones cap hit at almost 30 mill next yr, and Clarks dead money at 13ish, we MUST have impact players on rookie deals in that group. 

Yes, I do. I think you can find a "solid" safety in the 3rd. Dump Clark, Hichens, Reed and HB.

Spend the first 2 picks on DE and DT. Sign a FA SLB so we can dump Nieman and Hitchens, and roll with that.

2 hours ago, Iluvhouse24 said:

Well I think they may have to start a 3rd or 4th round strong safety, as they may not be able to afford HB, so it may be a moot point. 

I'm not convinced you need super speed at every position in this defense but you need speed at free safety and linebacker, plus at least some of your good corners to back up a good pass rush.

With the pattern matching we do at corner, good feet, COD, intelligence in zone, and ability to press is more important.  Speed helps (see Sneed, L'Jarius) but we've also seen slower corners do well by having the 4 things I mentioned, which is why I'm happen Fenton is getting snaps now cause he's slow but has all 4 of those traits and seems to always show well because of it.

Chiefs discuss potential of moving Chris Jones back to defensive tackle

https://www.arrowheadpride.com/2021/10/21/22738792/chiefs-discuss-potential-of-moving-chris-jones-back-to-defensive-tackle

Considering the Chiefs have made several defensive changes lately, could moving Jones be among them — if he returns to the lineup against the Tennessee Titans this Sunday?

“I’m not sure where we’ll be with that, yet,” said Chiefs defensive coordinator Steve Spagnuolo on Thursday. “But he has been inside — most of it’s been third down and maybe some second-and-longs, so he hasn’t lost all the reps in there. What’s been hard is because of the injury, he hasn’t been out there doing either-or, so we’ll see where he’s at by the end of the week — but we like moving Chris around.

“Sometimes, that’s dictated by the down and distance and how the play’s going — the whole thing.”

At the very least, moving Jones seems to be in consideration — and a point to watch this week.

37 minutes ago, xen said:

The Jones to end experiment has not worked out like the wanted for sure.  Not sure if it will but this time off isn't helping.  He needed reps there to have any shot at getting good.

I think they're gonna continue to move him around based on the down and distances.. As long he's in the best position to rush the passer on passing downs, then I'm sure that's what they will try to do. Except, the offenses will not that too...They'll pass when he's at DE..and run at him when he's inside.

3 hours ago, xen said:

Well I think they may have to start a 3rd or 4th round strong safety, as they may not be able to afford HB, so it may be a moot point. 

I'm not convinced you need super speed at every position in this defense but you need speed at free safety and linebacker, plus at least some of your good corners to back up a good pass rush.

With the pattern matching we do at corner, good feet, COD, intelligence in zone, and ability to press is more important.  Speed helps (see Sneed, L'Jarius) but we've also seen slower corners do well by having the 4 things I mentioned, which is why I'm happen Fenton is getting snaps now cause he's slow but has all 4 of those traits and seems to always show well because of it.

Agreed across the board. And I honestly think the CB play has been outstanding relative to the investment the last 3 yrs. It's 1 position I wouldn't mind they spent on. A guy like Carlton Davis to replace Ward could give us a great trio (Sneed, Davis, Fenton) to start with. Fill in depth from there. 

Thornhill and a mid rd guy at SS would be a solid start as well. You can fill in secondary depth with players on 1 year deals, and it almost goes without saying that a SS drafted in rd 3 or 4 would be a better athlete with better range than Dopey Dan. Half this board is rangier than that bum. 

We've already got an outstanding young tandem at LB. We need depth but those 2 are gonna be damn good. 

It's all about that d line. They need to attack that position in the draft. 

44 minutes ago, Iluvhouse24 said:

Agreed across the board. And I honestly think the CB play has been outstanding relative to the investment the last 3 yrs. It's 1 position I wouldn't mind they spent on. A guy like Carlton Davis to replace Ward could give us a great trio (Sneed, Davis, Fenton) to start with. Fill in depth from there. 

Thornhill and a mid rd guy at SS would be a solid start as well. You can fill in secondary depth with players on 1 year deals, and it almost goes without saying that a SS drafted in rd 3 or 4 would be a better athlete with better range than Dopey Dan. Half this board is rangier than that bum. 

We've already got an outstanding young tandem at LB. We need depth but those 2 are gonna be damn good. 

Tandem at LB? Gay has yet to stay healthy which is concerning to me. Would like to see a full healthy season out of him and sees how he does. LB I would not mind to see another investment there and like you said, depth too.

1 hour ago, Iluvhouse24 said:

Honestly if we don't resign HB I think they'll be forced to go safety earlier if no FAs fit for a reasonable price (unlikely).  That position is so important in this defense.  Hard to find a SS that has coverage chops and can play the run + smart.  You're definitely not gonna find one as versatile as HB.

I think they just need to find a couple good solid pass rushers wherever.  The way we're going we may pick high enough to get one that fits this D in the first.  Veach can find another somewhere.

Still think we need another receiver.  I like Gordon but have a hard time putting all my eggs in that basket.

I am not as down on the roster as some here.  We have a lot of pieces just need to be smart in acquiring some key players.

You are absolutely right that pass rush will be the key.

52 minutes ago, kkuenn said:

Tandem at LB? Gay has yet to stay healthy which is concerning to me. Would like to see a full healthy season out of him and sees how he does. LB I would not mind to see another investment there and like you said, depth too.

Jury is still out on if Gay can stay healthy but he was already a difference maker last week in first game back.  Kid has the goods.

Bolton needs to learn zone coverage better but he sure is a heat seeking missile.

Solid start.  

13 hours ago, Iluvhouse24 said:

Rules have neutered physicality.  I’d love to have a thumping safety, but if you lay the wood to a receiver coming across the middle, you’re getting flagged for 15 yards.  The days of making a receiver or qb hesitate because a huge hit is coming are long gone.  That’s why I believe speed is more important than ever.