Physical defense.

7 hours ago, robgar said:

That DLine when healthy is flat out nasty..

Clark, Reed, Jones, Ingram..

There all problems.. Now there stunting, picking up people and running them into quarterbacks.. and its hard.. Cuz you cant double team all four of em.  Not knowing.. we  got some blitzing linebackers and safeties as well. 

The Defense wasnt healthy.. it is now. and well over the past 5 games, its put together a streak of performances that That are hard to argue with, even in KC where we have the defense of the 90s, and the early 70s defenses to brag about.. .

Also.. The interior offensive line is .. well... I dont know what to say.. but  man I havent seen this, since the Shields Weigman, Water days.. on any team. 

In short.. I think this team compares favorably with any team KC has ever fielded. 

I know it's probably already been said but in addition to the DLine to me the speed of Gay and the physical play of Bolton has also been huge.  

1 hour ago, soonerborn77 said:

I know it's probably already been said but in addition to the DLine to me the speed of Gay and the physical play of Bolton has also been huge.  

We'll need all of it to limit Justin Herbert, especially on a very short prep week on the road...and with everything at stake.  A victory would be gigantic.  A close game to call.  I'm very concerned about this one.

3 minutes ago, Fmbl2187 said:

We'll need all of it to limit Justin Herbert, especially on a very short prep week on the road...and with everything at stake.  A victory would be gigantic.  A close game to call.  I'm very concerned about this one.

Chargers will score often. This will come down to Mahomes and the offense. Charger defense is not special. Chiefs need 33. I think they get it.

4 minutes ago, AFCWEST said:

Chargers will score often. This will come down to Mahomes and the offense. Charger defense is not special. Chiefs need 33. I think they get it.

I agree. Chargers are going to score. That’s why I need to see the chiefs beat the chargers this week to see if they are truly back.

4 minutes ago, Calichief said:

I agree. Chargers are going to score. That’s why I need to see the chiefs beat the chargers this week to see if they are truly back.

Winner likely wins the AFC West. Loser is a likely wild card. Not a must win game for either team in my view. Im not sure what Back is. 14-2 last year. They wont get back to that. TB was 7-5 last year and won it all. A loss in a well played game is ok. A win is better. Back? 

5 minutes ago, AFCWEST said:

Winner likely wins the AFC West. Loser is a likely wild card. Not a must win game for either team in my view. Im not sure what Back is. 14-2 last year. They wont get back to that. TB was 7-5 last year and won it all. A loss in a well played game is ok. A win is better. Back? 

Back is clicking on offense. For my eye test. I believe in this defense even if they give up points this week. I NEED to see the offense do it against someone besides LV.

1 minute ago, Calichief said:

Back is clicking on offense. For my eye test. I believe in this defense even if they give up points this week. I NEED to see the offense do it against someone besides LV.

Got it. Yes.  Maybe KC is changing the offense to hit the underneath plays and compliment the defense. Longer drives give the defense more rest. The running backs seem more involved in the passing game too. May be a more balanced attack in the play offs? 

46 minutes ago, AFCWEST said:

Got it. Yes.  Maybe KC is changing the offense to hit the underneath plays and compliment the defense. Longer drives give the defense more rest. The running backs seem more involved in the passing game too. May be a more balanced attack in the play offs? 

Herbert is much more mobile than Carr and throws with great accuracy from any position, like Mahomes.  He is much bigger and less likely to get nervous and inaccurate than Carr.  We have a huge handful to deal with.

Just now, Fmbl2187 said:

Herbert is much more mobile than Carr and throws with great accuracy from any position, like Mahomes.  He is much bigger and less likely to get nervous and inaccurate than Carr.  We have a huge handful to deal with.

Yep. KC has a nice advantage in experience in big games. 

51 minutes ago, AFCWEST said:

Let me be clear, I’m not asking for 40’points. Just efficiency 

53 minutes ago, AFCWEST said:

And the more I see gore, the more he looks like the guy with the tools to change the offense. It’s gonna be hard for kc to swallow that, so they’ll continue with the shot gun handoffs to CEH. CEH has little to no burst. And he’s running behind a beast of an oline. 

1 hour ago, Calichief said:

And the more I see gore, the more he looks like the guy with the tools to change the offense. It’s gonna be hard for kc to swallow that, so they’ll continue with the shot gun handoffs to CEH. CEH has little to no burst. And he’s running behind a beast of an oline. 

I like Gore too. His vision is not as great as Clyde's, but he does have a 2nd/3rd gear.  I think the kid needs more touches. He is really our best shot at a HOMERUN hitter! 

5 minutes ago, Calichief said:

Gore looked great on that TD for one reason:  Henne played from directly under center.  Mahomes is always at least two full steps back.  Henne handed off to Gore instantly, before their D could close that little gap.  I have wished all season that Mahomes would learn to take the ball from directly under center on certain types of plays.  I believe CEH would have done just as well on that play. I also believe that the league and our own fans would be raving about CEH on running plays if he were playing  in that type of alignment more often. Others here have mentioned the same thing. Our runners  have to hit the line too late to get through tiny gaps.  CEH would have huge stats behind Henne or somebody like Alex Smith who was a wiz at fast, tricky, disquised handoffs. I could never see what he was doing on the TV screen.

12 minutes ago, Fmbl2187 said:

Gore looked great on that TD for one reason:  Henne played from directly under center.  Mahomes is always at least two full steps back.  Henne handed off to Gore instantly, before their D could close that little gap.  I have wished all season that Mahomes would learn to take the ball from directly under center on certain types of plays.  I believe CEH would have done just as well on that play. I also believe that the league and our own fans would be raving about CEH on running plays if he were playing  in that type of alignment more often. Others here have mentioned the same thing. Our runners  have to hit the line too late to get through tiny gaps.  CEH would have huge stats behind Henne or somebody like Alex Smith who was a wiz at fast, tricky, disquised handoffs. I could never see what he was doing on the TV screen.

It’s not mahomes. It’s Reid’s offense right? 

54 minutes ago, Calichief said:

It’s not mahomes. It’s Reid’s offense right? 

Yes. But it is designed for Mahomes' passing prowess.  Which comes first the chicken or the egg?

Mahomes has a lot of leeway out there, BTW.  I just think that under-center plays should be added to the repertoire. Mahomes doesn't like to pass while dropping back.  If he used it, it would pretty much give away the fact that it is a running play. So, maybe not worth it.  Nice for when Henne comes in, like we saw on Sunday.

My point is that Gore shouldn't be crowned king.  All of our runners would look better with QB under center (especilly a center like Humphrey). I like CEH, because he is so low and has strong legs that he can almost ALWAYS get that yard or two on a 3rd and 1, no matter what kind of box-stacking is done.

1 hour ago, Fmbl2187 said:

Yes. But it is designed for Mahomes' passing prowess.  Which comes first the chicken or the egg?

Mahomes has a lot of leeway out there, BTW.  I just think that under-center plays should be added to the repertoire. Mahomes doesn't like to pass while dropping back.  If he used it, it would pretty much give away the fact that it is a running play. So, maybe not worth it.  Nice for when Henne comes in, like we saw on Sunday.

My point is that Gore shouldn't be crowned king.  All of our runners would look better with QB under center (especilly a center like Humphrey). I like CEH, because he is so low and has strong legs that he can almost ALWAYS get that yard or two on a 3rd and 1, no matter what kind of box-stacking is done.

That’s fair. Good points 

6 hours ago, Fmbl2187 said:

It's crazy how the Chargers can go from Rivers, and still lose enough to be in position to land Herbert. The Chiefs meanwhile are hardy ever in that position, have to move up giving up draft picks to get Mahomes.

10 minutes ago, qnet said:

It's crazy how the Chargers can go from Rivers, and still lose enough to be in position to land Herbert. The Chiefs meanwhile are hardy ever in that position, have to move up giving up draft picks to get Mahomes.

Do you think that maybe that is because they gave up two first rounders to get Mahomes and a first rounder to get Brown?  The Chiefs are constantly trading away high choices for established great young players and to move up in various rounds and down in others.  I can't fault Veach.  The Chiefs have done a hell of a job in the draft.  They are especially adept in the later rounds as well as getting great players in the late rounds. like Sneed, Trey Smith, Ward, and others and undrafted players like Fenton. They give up people to get young stars who are already proven like Orlando Brown. The draft is a total crapshoot.  I have no complaints with their draft and aquisition strategies.  The results are 5 straight AFC West titles and two straight superbowls.

13 minutes ago, Fmbl2187 said:

Do you think that maybe that is because they gave up two first rounders to get Mahomes and a first rounder to get Brown?  The Chiefs are constantly trading away high choices for established great young players and to move up in various rounds and down in others.  I can't fault Veach.  The Chiefs have done a hell of a job in the draft.  They are especially adept in the later rounds as well as getting great players in the late rounds. like Sneed, Trey Smith, Ward, and others and undrafted players like Fenton. They give up people to get young stars who are already proven like Orlando Brown. The draft is a total crapshoot.  I have no complaints with their draft and aquisition strategies.  The results are 5 straight AFC West titles and two straight superbowls.

I think Veach likes to solve his biggest needs issue prior to the draft so they can  focus on talent vs urgent need. Solid tactic.

46 minutes ago, Fmbl2187 said:

The problem with that is giving up first round picks on cheap contracts for established players with expensive ones.  Sooner or later, the team gets cap cramps. Veach has juggled it well so far, but unless the cap goes up dramatically, it's going to be tough down the road.  

1 hour ago, Fmbl2187 said:

Been over this many times.  we did NOT give up two first rounders to get Mahommes, we traded spots in the first round that we drafted him, hence we still got a first round pick, and gave up the next years first, so "technically" we only gave up 1 first rounder, and I would do that deal again every day of the week and TWICE on Sundays!

The Kansas City Chiefs selected Mahomes in the first round (10th overall) in the 2017 NFL Draft. The Buffalo Bills traded the 10th overall pick to the Chiefs for their first round pick, third round pick, and the Chiefs' first round pick in the 2018 NFL Draft.

2 hours ago, Fmbl2187 said:

1 hour ago, jetlord said:

The problem with that is giving up first round picks on cheap contracts for established players with expensive ones.  Sooner or later, the team gets cap cramps. Veach has juggled it well so far, but unless the cap goes up dramatically, it's going to be tough down the road.  

55 minutes ago, Spfdchiefsfan said:

Been over this many times.  we did NOT give up two first rounders to get Mahommes, we traded spots in the first round that we drafted him, hence we still got a first round pick, and gave up the next years first, so "technically" we only gave up 1 first rounder, and I would do that deal again every day of the week and TWICE on Sundays!

The Kansas City Chiefs selected Mahomes in the first round (10th overall) in the 2017 NFL Draft. The Buffalo Bills traded the 10th overall pick to the Chiefs for their first round pick, third round pick, and the Chiefs' first round pick in the 2018 NFL Draft.

Ha ha, you've all made good points, but I wasn't really going were you went.

My only point was that the Chargers are lucky to have had Rivers and now Herbert. It took the Chiefs almost my lifetime to draft a elite QB, and they had to move up to even get him. (because of their success) 

Because the Chargers have not been as successful of a franchise in the regular season as the Chiefs, they have had more chances at high draft picks, thus having more chances at landing an elite QB.

I'm happy with what Veach has done. 

1 hour ago, Spfdchiefsfan said:

Absolutely right.  They gave up two first round picks to grab Mahomes. Good thing he didn't turn out to be Todd Blackledge II.

8 minutes ago, Fmbl2187 said:

Absolutely right.  They gave up two first round picks to grab Mahomes. Good thing he didn't turn out to be Todd Blackledge II.

HMMMM... SO they made a pick in the first round at 10 instead of what 20 something?  So they MADE a pick in that first round, or did they not make a pick in that round? I am confused!  If they had not traded up, they would've still made the pick at 20 something right?  They did NOT make a pick in the first round the next year, which would be giving up ONE pick.....right?