Mahomes Looks Tired

3 hours ago, Mr Ev said:

Watching his interview.  He looks beat.  It’s gotta be hard to welcome a new new baby and be the face of the franchise with all the pressure that comes with it at the same time. 

Real tuff. Millions in the bank, no debt, pampered your entire life, hired help to take care of everything including the kid and your the toast of your town. 

8 minutes ago, AFCWEST said:

Real tuff. Millions in the bank, no debt, pampered your entire life, hired help to take care of everything including the kid and your the toast of your town. 

you'd take his spot in a NY second. BUt I agree with EV. Face it this team  ( him) have played more games in the last 3 years than anyone else + as was said having a baby in the house now  and commercials ,PR requirements of not only being the face of the franchise but of KC as well.  He deserves a good rest.  We have ac hance for a good solid draft coming up to reload.. look forward to that. 

1 minute ago, oldtimer said:

you'd take his spot in a NY second. BUt I agree with EV. Face it this team  ( him) have played more games in the last 3 years than anyone else + as was said having a baby in the house now  and commercials ,PR requirements of not only being the face of the franchise but of KC as well.  He deserves a good rest.  We have ac hance for a good solid draft coming up to reload.. look forward to that. 

Good point but its about choices. He is not forced to do any of that. He is payed extremely well to be that MVP Caliber QB for KC.

2 minutes ago, AFCWEST said:

Good point but its about choices. He is not forced to do any of that. He is payed extremely well to be that MVP Caliber QB for KC.

everybody wears down, if becomes a trend  through next season then you may have a point but regardless of what a body gets paid it can only endure so much and in a way he is forced to do that . It's all  part of the package deal

3 hours ago, Mr Ev said:

Watching his interview.  He looks beat.  It’s gotta be hard to welcome a new new baby and be the face of the franchise with all the pressure that comes with it at the same time. 

We were saying this the entire game as we watched the Chiefs barely beat the Giants.  He does not look as though he is having fun.  He lacks any intensity.

3 minutes ago, AFCWEST said:

except for Brady.

thats why he's the goat. I have never been to NE  while he was the QB so I cant speak for his PR load, That being said he had a defensive genius  as coach where Patrick clearly does not..  Even Brady had mediocre years and missed one to.

3 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

thats why he's the goat. I have never been to NE  while he was the QB so I cant speak for his PR load, That being said he had a defensive genius  as coach where Patrick clearly does not..  Even Brady had mediocre years and missed one to.

Good point. Bill is a far superior coach. Yet he still going at 44. Im just saying that Mahomes has choices. He does not have to do anything but QB. Maybe he does need to cut all the other stuff out for awhile. He is what 26?  Should have plenty of energy.

I dont think he is tired. I think he is in a slump.

3 minutes ago, Holmes4six! said:

All his life he has been able to play QB with running around and making throws. Well it ain’t happening no more. The nfl have professionals that get paid to stop u. 
Pat needs to understand that the 5 yd gain to a RB in the flat is money and keep taking it until the defense has to change. 

He is averaging below 6 yards per pass. He is hitting short routes. The turnovers are the biggest issue. He may be pressing.

example: 

Darrel Williams rushed 13 times for 49 yards in the Chiefs' Week 8 win over the Giants.

He added six catches for 61 yards on seven targets in the passing game to total 110 yards in place of Clyde Edwards-Helaire (knee, I.R.) once again. However, Williams wasn't the unquestioned No. 1 back tonight, as Derrick Gore worked in for 11 carries for 48 yards and one touchdown behind Williams. Edwards-Helaire is eligible to return next week against the Packers. If he doesn't, Gore did enough to earn 1B work again behind Williams.

8 minutes ago, AFCWEST said:

Good point. Bill is a far superior coach. Yet he still going at 44. Im just saying that Mahomes has choices. He does not have to do anything but QB. Maybe he does need to cut all the other stuff out for awhile. He is what 26?  Should have plenty of energy.

I dont think he is tired. I think he is in a slump.

26 after being ran over buy 300+#s is totally another thing but you do  make a valid point about maybe chilling out on all the other extracurricular activities . Airborne school and other training I did in the Military had worn me  slick at 23 it almost felt good to be in a hospital bed after my parachuting accident. I can image a game would every bit as punishing and much more and then multiply that but his # of games. Man o man 

6 hours ago, Mr Ev said:

I was thinking about the other day.   He’s a new father and that does have to take some focus off of football.  I do wonder if he grinded like he has in the past in the off-season.   Maybe they believed the media about we only needed a better Oline and we would be gifted a sB spot.  Whatever it is he doesn’t look the same and if could be he is mentally tired.   SB slumps are a thing for a reason and I’m willing to bet the biggest thing is the mental side 

That is one thing that I have been thinking , is that perhaps he is not grinding the film as much as he did in the past.   One thing also that may be tangibly different is that teams are playing the Chiefs differently than they play any other team,  so when he is looking at the film,  he is not seeing to same type of coverages he is seeing on gameday.  

13 minutes ago, Docbarnabee said:

That is one thing that I have been thinking , is that perhaps he is not grinding the film as much as he did in the past.   One thing also that may be tangibly different is that teams are playing the Chiefs differently than they play any other team,  so when he is looking at the film,  he is not seeing to same type of coverages he is seeing on gameday.  

I think it may be the opposite. Watching to much film , thinking too much vs just playing and not getting his head out of football enough. 

I think there’s a lot of grasping here looking for explanations.  I see a guy who is clearly frustrated that he’s not playing to the level that he holds himself to.  Of course there’s a lack of “fun” when you struggle and start the season 4-4, but that doesn’t mean he’s spending the day watching film, practicing, then going home and staying up all night with an infant.  He’s just a competitor trying to work out the kinks.  He’s grinding.  

Just now, moons314 said:

I think there’s a lot of grasping here looking for explanations.  I see a guy who is clearly frustrated that he’s not playing to the level that he holds himself to.  Of course there’s a lack of “fun” when you struggle and start the season 4-4, but that doesn’t mean he’s spending the day watching film, practicing, then going home and staying up all night with an infant.  He’s just a competitor trying to work out the kinks.  He’s grinding.  

Agree. May be watching too much film. Mahomes is a winner and everybody goes through slumps. I do doubt the infant is an issue but maybe.

1 hour ago, moons314 said:

I've watched a lot of Chiefs football this season and to me, all those warning signs NFL scouts had regarding Mahomes are playing out this season, probably because teams now understand how to defend his play-style more effectively.

He's obviously incredibly talented, but he is playing with a nervous energy.  The Chiefs playcall this season is also not doing him any favors either.

I watched last night and there are a couple of points that came to mind:

1. We lead the NFL in Turnovers and we are pretty close to the top in penalties.  This is SUPER Frustrating and this is about accountability by the players and the coaches.

2. Defenses are continually playing 2 Safeties deep and it take Hill 40 yds to "get a step"...On Deep passes- Mahomes needs to roll right- not left.  Throwing across your body 75 yds is hard for even Pat.  (Play design....)   Note: Hill had a step and a half on the deep ball that was underthrown.

3. Kelce must own the middle of the field routes and he is being taken away....

w

43 minutes ago, BroncoStud said:

I've watched a lot of Chiefs football this season and to me, all those warning signs NFL scouts had regarding Mahomes are playing out this season, probably because teams now understand how to defend his play-style more effectively.

He's obviously incredibly talented, but he is playing with a nervous energy.  The Chiefs playcall this season is also not doing him any favors either.

Yep.  Sucks.  Last night I was laughing bc we would get three good runs, one bad one, and we would stop trying to run.

IMO,  Mahomes is essentially learning how to play QB..again. He has to step up in the pocket, be decisive, set his feet and launch. These are things I've never really seen him do consistently at Texas Tech or KC. On top of that, teams are taking away the things he likes to do and finally he doesn't trust the oline enough to stand Tall in said pocket. That's why he looks so damn uncomfortable back there...

3 minutes ago, artsy said:

IMO,  Mahomes is essentially learning how to play QB..again. He has to step up in the pocket, be decisive, set his feet and launch. These are things I've never really seen him do consistently at Texas Tech or KC. On top of that, teams are taking away the things he likes to do and finally he doesn't trust the oline enough to stand Tall in said pocket. That's why he looks so damn uncomfortable back there...

yup  I think that is it in a nutshell

2 hours ago, BroncoStud said:

Exactly. He’s not staying put even with a perfect pocket. The scheme seems to have no Rhythm lately. It’s all over the place.