Kind of a hot take on Mahomes

While it comes off as a hot take Dan is normally very even keel and he prefaces it with some caveats.   I agree with some of his assessments.  Not that it can’t be fixed and that he’s the worst mechanical qb in the league but he’s way down the lost.   What do y’all think?

He doesn't look good and I think Andy has not helped his qb out minus the first drive last night.  Our playcalling is brutal.  Veach tried in the offseason to get a #2 and failed.  Watching last night Kelce gets mugged and Hill doubled and no one else can create for themselves without a special play designed for them.  

35 minutes ago, DieHard said:

He has always been mechanically bad.  But he is a unicorn in that respect. He is a great QB and is going through a rough patch, but will wear a gold jacket one day. 

This^^^^

His bad mechanics are being exacerbated because he is being forced by the defense and DESIGN to stay in the pocket.

He'll figure it out..I have faith in the young-buck.

15 minutes ago, artsy said:

This^^^^

His bad mechanics are being exacerbated because he is being forced by the defense and DESIGN to stay in the pocket.

He'll figure it out..I have faith in the young-buck.

Yeah we may be overreacting a bit. It never hurts to have a little adversity, and as Reid said they're working through it...SB year in 2019 was shaky also everybody ruled the Chiefs out.

Just now, Biggjliv4 said:

Kid has been a phenom since say one and he's having his first bad year. Way too much overreacting from the pundits and people acting like he should be benched, insanity. No idea of its football or real life that's the issue, but he'll grow though it. 

Yep. He has been there and seen the top. All greats will have a bad year from time to time. Thing is, that is usually a great hear for an average qb.

I take some of this with a grain of salt. There wasn't a lot of criticism of his mechanics when the Chiefs were winning. I agree Mahomes needs to work on some things, but what's funny is, I noticed some QB's trying to do some of the same stuff he does. 

1 hour ago, AFCWEST said:

Chiefs should not be screwing with him. This stay in the pocket stuff is nuts. Let Mahomes be Mahomes. The Chiefs are screwing up an elite talent. He does look like an awful QB. I was thinking his arm is sore or a rib injury or? 

Every QB at every level of football is taught to use the pocket. No coach in the history of football has ever told a QB "forget what these offensive lineman are trying to do. You don't need them. You walk to the beat of your own drummer. Now get out there and play street football."

I dont know what you don't understand about this. Being able to make incredible plays when plays break down is great. Expecting that to just be the way your QB plays all the time is ridiculous. 

Teaching a QB to climb the pocket somehow translates to "screwing up an elite talent" in your mind.

2 hours ago, Iluvhouse24 said:

Every QB at every level of football is taught to use the pocket. No coach in the history of football has ever told a QB "forget what these offensive lineman are trying to do. You don't need them. You walk to the beat of your own drummer. Now get out there and play street football."

I dont know what you don't understand about this. Being able to make incredible plays when plays break down is great. Expecting that to just be the way your QB plays all the time is ridiculous. 

Teaching a QB to climb the pocket somehow translates to "screwing up an elite talent" in your mind.

Thanks for your usual toxic response. I dont know why you worry about my opinion so much. See my avatar.

Nothing is working. Mahomes being Mahomes isn't working. There is nothing available when he scrambles. Teams are basically daring him to run it. We basically need to go oldschool and run the ball...then play action. Dan is right about the RPO...we have to ditch it. Our lineman are maulers...let them crush the defense. But.....Reid won't do it, we're a soft team.

2 hours ago, ChiefThunder said:

Nothing is working. Mahomes being Mahomes isn't working. There is nothing available when he scrambles. Teams are basically daring him to run it. We basically need to go oldschool and run the ball...then play action. Dan is right about the RPO...we have to ditch it. Our lineman are maulers...let them crush the defense. But.....Reid won't do it, we're a soft team.

Has Andy ever fielded a tough hard nosed team?   Always seem cutesy and finesse to me.    

10 hours ago, AFCWEST said:

Thanks for your usual toxic response. I dont know why you worry about my opinion so much. See my avatar.

Serious question. What would you have Andy Heck teach his offensive lineman to do? Since our QB "is not a pocket QB". These guys have spent their whole careers being taught to create a pocket on passing plays. 

So YOU don't want Mahomes in that pocket. You want him playing street ball. What does your offensive line coach teach his line to do in practice during the week? No sarcasm on my end. Legit question.

26 minutes ago, Iluvhouse24 said:

Serious question. What would you have Andy Heck teach his offensive lineman to do? Since our QB "is not a pocket QB". These guys have spent their whole careers being taught to create a pocket on passing plays. 

So YOU don't want Mahomes in that pocket. You want him playing street ball. What does your offensive line coach teach his line to do in practice during the week? No sarcasm on my end. Legit question.

Im no expert. Just a fan. 

30 minutes ago, AFCWEST said:

Im not taking your bait. I dont think my opinions are important. accurate, worth saving or debating. Just a fan with typical fan BS.

Of course they are worth debating. That's what we are here for. Just because I disagree with almost everything you say doesn't mean I am any more right than you. So let's debate.

You keep saying something that doesn't make sense to me, and I haven't seen anyone else echo your sentiment. You are advocating for the Chiefs to let Mahomes just be himself. So I'm asking you about it. 

To me, watching him go back to his natural tendencies with poor footwork, throwing with poor base, bailing on the pocket to try and make off script plays has worked well in the past but is killing us this year. That's what former players are saying on various media outlets when they break him down as well. And not just Orlovsky. I'm asking why you disagree.