Chiefs wire article

https://currently.att.yahoo.com/sports/updated-chiefs-2022-nfl-draft-215157813.html

Updated Chiefs 2022 NFL draft picks following Melvin Ingram trade

he Kansas City Chiefs made pair of trades on Tuesday, but only one involved a trade of draft capital.

The team sent a conditional 2022 sixth-round draft pick to the Pittsburgh Steelers in return for veteran pass-rusher Melvin Ingram. That means the two teams set certain parameters that make the draft pick non-transferrable in lieu of either another draft pick or no compensation. These are typically attached to playtime, meaning if Ingram plays X number of snaps before the season concludes, the pick will transfer to Pittsburgh. This also is a way that the Chiefs can protect themselves in the event that Ingram suffers an injury.

Let’s assume the 2022 sixth-round draft pick transfers to the Steelers, they won’t be getting Kansas City’s sixth-round pick. The Chiefs had traded their sixth-round draft pick to the Minnesota Vikings in the Mike Hughes trade, acquiring a seventh-round draft pick in the process. The sixth-round pick that Kansas City would send to Pittsburgh was acquired from the Baltimore Ravens in the Orlando Brown Jr. trade.

With that in mind here is a look at the draft picks that the Chiefs currently hold in the 2022 NFL draft, assuming the conditional pick transfers to the Steelers:

As of today, Kansas City has 25 players set to hit free agency following the 2021 NFL season and now they have one fewer draft pick with which to replace those players. This seems to be the sweet spot for Chiefs GM Brett Veach, as he’s selected just six players each year dating back to his first NFL draft running the front office in 2018.

27 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

https://currently.att.yahoo.com/sports/updated-chiefs-2022-nfl-draft-215157813.html

Updated Chiefs 2022 NFL draft picks following Melvin Ingram trade

he Kansas City Chiefs made pair of trades on Tuesday, but only one involved a trade of draft capital.

The team sent a conditional 2022 sixth-round draft pick to the Pittsburgh Steelers in return for veteran pass-rusher Melvin Ingram. That means the two teams set certain parameters that make the draft pick non-transferrable in lieu of either another draft pick or no compensation. These are typically attached to playtime, meaning if Ingram plays X number of snaps before the season concludes, the pick will transfer to Pittsburgh. This also is a way that the Chiefs can protect themselves in the event that Ingram suffers an injury.

Let’s assume the 2022 sixth-round draft pick transfers to the Steelers, they won’t be getting Kansas City’s sixth-round pick. The Chiefs had traded their sixth-round draft pick to the Minnesota Vikings in the Mike Hughes trade, acquiring a seventh-round draft pick in the process. The sixth-round pick that Kansas City would send to Pittsburgh was acquired from the Baltimore Ravens in the Orlando Brown Jr. trade.

With that in mind here is a look at the draft picks that the Chiefs currently hold in the 2022 NFL draft, assuming the conditional pick transfers to the Steelers:

As of today, Kansas City has 25 players set to hit free agency following the 2021 NFL season and now they have one fewer draft pick with which to replace those players. This seems to be the sweet spot for Chiefs GM Brett Veach, as he’s selected just six players each year dating back to his first NFL draft running the front office in 2018.

Any comp picks coming? 

6 hours ago, Holmes4six! said:

Don’t like the look of how minimal picks we have. Veach needs to find ways to increase that. Tougher now with trade deadline passed. 

If you add in the 5th and 6th we're missing to get back to the full boat, it would be extremely optimistic to assume those two draft spots were special teams contributors next year.  I'm not going to worry about missing picks outside of the top 3-4 rounds, because those picks aren't high odds to be contributors as rookies anyway, not counting exceptionally rare occurrences like the circumstances that led to Trey Smith falling so far in the draft.   The top end of the draft is the important part. 

We have a ton of guys set to hit FA and then guys we cut like Hitchens and Frank….this is the down side of trying to run it back, freak injuries to two healthy Tackles and COVID killing the cap.   The main guys come back and now Veach will have to fill some spots with vet minimum deals and udfas.   Would be a great year for EB to get a coaching job!  Could use those 3’s

7 hours ago, Lamardirts said:

We have a ton of guys set to hit FA and then guys we cut like Hitchens and Frank….this is the down side of trying to run it back, freak injuries to two healthy Tackles and COVID killing the cap.   The main guys come back and now Veach will have to fill some spots with vet minimum deals and udfas.   Would be a great year for EB to get a coaching job!  Could use those 3’s

We had that dream and it's over. His time IMO has passed now he's just a lame duck. College maybe?  I'll just be happy  to see him gone I really thinks he adds very little.

On 11/4/2021 at 8:00 AM, oldtimer said:

We had that dream and it's over. His time IMO has passed now he's just a lame duck. College maybe?  I'll just be happy  to see him gone I really thinks he adds very little.

It was speculation, but I did hear on the radio last week I believe it was, that there were rumors that EB is likely going to take a college job after this season.  He wants to be a HC, his stock has dropped and he's been passed over multiple times in the NFL, so in the offseason the Chiefs "will encourage him" to take a college job.

2 hours ago, moons314 said:

It was speculation, but I did hear on the radio last week I believe it was, that there were rumors that EB is likely going to take a college job after this season.  He wants to be a HC, his stock has dropped and he's been passed over multiple times in the NFL, so in the offseason the Chiefs "will encourage him" to take a college job.

Would be ideal. Get Kafka in that role and eventually be Reids successor. 

9 hours ago, Lamardirts said:

I still think EB has a shot.  Maybe not as big as previous years but I still think he has a shot.   Doesn't help our offense is in a funk though.

He’s been passed over two years in a row when he was considered to be the hot prospect.  The shine has also come off of Reid’s assistants, with pederson unemployed and Nagy being less than impressive.  

1 hour ago, moons314 said:

He’s been passed over two years in a row when he was considered to be the hot prospect.  The shine has also come off of Reid’s assistants, with pederson unemployed and Nagy being less than impressive.  

Pederson did win a SB a few years ago so not so sure the shine is gone, I bet he's hired this off-season. Nagy will get canned and Reid will probably bring him back unfortunately. 

2 hours ago, oldtimer said:

as what?

QB coach? If Kafka gets promoted. I mean they've done everything in their power to keep Kafka from leaving. So it wouldn't make much sense to leave him stationary and bring Nagy back as OC.

All this is contingent upon Bienemy leaving obviously, but I'm in agreement with you as far as he is concerned. Im to the point where I think he's a lackey. He doesn't call plays. They've always told us he helps with game planning but would a former RB turned coach be helping formulate a game plan that was 71% passing if he had any real voice?

We had a great running game with Pederson & Nagy but that was with EB as the run guy. Not sure if I would object bringing either guy as the OC but definitely want a switch from EB as that seems like the most immediate fix with the highest upside. I heard nothing but great things about Kafka and how they value him but don't know if he has the capacity to be a balanced OC. Still I wouldn't mind switching to him either and see what he can do. 

23 hours ago, Biggjliv4 said:

Pederson did win a SB a few years ago so not so sure the shine is gone, I bet he's hired this off-season. Nagy will get canned and Reid will probably bring him back unfortunately. 

Pederson has been fired since winning that SB.  I'd say that's a definite sign of the shine being gone.  A SB win should give a coach a long leash with a lot of room, but instead he didn't last very long after the fact.