1 minute ago, DefensiveMan said:

Andy Reid was noticeably calling the offense last night. Was Bienemy calling the plays during the slump? Everything was much smoother. 

yea I noticed that to, not that I was looking for EB  but I don't really recall seeing him.

I heard on the radio that Reid told Mahomes to take the checkdown if it’s there but still be Mahomes. (As opposed to running a lot more and emphasizing the checkdown limits as a culprit.) Smith checked down a lot and the national media seems to act like the struggles were from trying to hit homeruns too often and getting sacked or hurried last second throws incomplete. Could Bienemy be calling plays that have fewer checkdown availabilities and Reid call more with backup plans (with Mahomes of course looking for deeper)? Or is it the same and is it a Raiders turmoil thing last night?

10 minutes ago, KCSLC2008 said:

I heard on the radio that Reid told Mahomes to take the checkdown if it’s there but still be Mahomes. (As opposed to running a lot more and emphasizing the checkdown limits as a culprit.) Smith checked down a lot and the national media seems to act like the struggles were from trying to hit homeruns too often and getting sacked or hurried last second throws incomplete. Could Bienemy be calling plays that have fewer checkdown availabilities and Reid call more with backup plans (with Mahomes of course looking for deeper)? Or is it the same and is it a Raiders turmoil thing last night?

I personally think that the offensive plays we  saw last nite has been there since the philly game, but PAT wasn't taking them. Somehow or someway Reid/EB convinced Pat to actually take what the defense was giving him and the WR/TE's were actually catching the ball.

I hope Pat feels good about last night because if he can accept/get comfortable with last nights offensive philosophy, the league will be in big trouble.  

It seems like a combination of both Reid and Mahomes being much more willing to take what the defense gives. If the Chiefs commit to running the ball and checking down when those safeties are that far back, they can do this against anyone. No DC is gonna sit their and get gashed underneath for 60 minutes. The safeties will creep down. 

I think it's just in Reids DNA to call pass plays and in Mahomes DNA to go for the kill shot, and it's really been difficult for them to go against what comes naturally. But this is the byproduct of keeping it simple.

Mahomes played a good game last night, but there's still  several deep balls that he flat missed on and some that should never have been thrown.  He seemed to make those plays the past three seasons, but not so much this year.  Gotta try it once in a while to keep the defense back, but he hasn't connected like before.  The Williams TD was an exception, but it could have easily turned out differently without a great catch.  

Play calling was better. The run game was more creative with the traps and some more traditional type stuff. 

the outside Zone runs have to stop with williams. He’s too slow.

Pat looked much better. He did miss all the deep balls though. His touch is off on those balls for sure. 

hardmans lazy almost cost him a pick. Williams great effort saves him a pick. 

1 hour ago, AFCWEST said:

It seems to me Reid was giving the calls to EB and he then gave it to Mahomes. Remeber SB when EB said  to Reid he wants WASP. Maybe Reid was simply calling it direct to Mahomes last night?

I don't know who was calling the plays, but they were working. I think those types of playcalls have been called for awhile tho. I just feel like Pat decided "tonight I'm gonna do it their way and see what happens".  400 yds and 5 TDs may be enough to convince him that he can still "Be Great" by taking what the defense gives him. I was impressed with imagination in the run game too. 

8 hours ago, jetlord said:

Mahomes played a good game last night, but there's still  several deep balls that he flat missed on and some that should never have been thrown.  He seemed to make those plays the past three seasons, but not so much this year.  Gotta try it once in a while to keep the defense back, but he hasn't connected like before.  The Williams TD was an exception, but it could have easily turned out differently without a great catch.  

I watched that Williams touchdown and unfortunately read the comments. Everyone was saying how that should’ve been picked off and it was a stupid decision that was bailed out. Haters, unless they are KC fans who will say good and bad.

But what I would say is that we want Mahomes using his talents to do what he can do and that’s one of them. Every once in a while we’re going to get the receiver popping it up and it being picked off and depending on the defense, once in a while, it may be intercepted just by the talent of the safety. But as far as mentality, Mahomes needs to be himself.

When we were having our struggles, what I kept thinking was that we wanted Mahomes to do what Smith did plus with Mahomes can and then take it further. I think Mahomes wanted to do what he was doing for the last three years but we didn’t have the oline and other talent and teams were defending the deep. I think there is some balance you can do in the regular season. In the playoffs, all bets are off and just make it unpredictable for the defense. But to get into the groove? Check it down often enough to creep them in and then make them pay.

The Raiders did play a lot more zone which is Gus Bradley's scheme. I'd like to see how KC does when a team man's up on them again. We'll find out against Dallas this week. Remember, Dan Quinn was ATL's coach last year when his D set-up a blueprint on the Chiefs limiting us to 17 at home. They manned up and doubled Kelce and Hill not letting anything over the top. 

2 hours ago, KCSLC2008 said:

. I think Mahomes wanted to do what he was doing for the last three years but we didn’t have the oline and other talent and teams were defending the deep. 

The O-line, with the possible exception of when Wylie is playing, is better than last year.  (zero sacks last night)  It's just that Mahomes is overthrowing balls that would have been deep TDs two or three years ago. 

1 hour ago, jetlord said:

The O-line, with the possible exception of when Wylie is playing, is better than last year.  (zero sacks last night)  It's just that Mahomes is overthrowing balls that would have been deep TDs two or three years ago. 

I normally agree with a lot of what you say Jet, but not sure about this time. I could be wrong because I haven't gone back and looked at all Mahomes plays, but those long sideline downfield plays are hard to complete. Mahomes made a lot of plays, but I don't remember him constantly hitting those long sideline plays that much.

He's done it, but not to the level people are thinking that I remember. In fact, not many QB's do that consistently from what I'v seen. 

I think we all, along with a lot of the pundits have an overinflated view of Mahomes because of the numbers he's put up in such a short time. The plays he's made this last game is what I remember, minus the check downs to backs.

All the long pass plays I remember Mahomes, are the scramble plays were he does something amazing/crazy, and hurls the ball across his body to hill, or plays like the 3rd & 15 in the SB.

What impressed me about Mahomes in his first season starting, was the way that he looked like a veteran QB,  scanning the field, and slinging the ball around. I can't explain it well, but after watching football all these years; I have never seen a Chiefs QB play like that, other than maybe Montana; and Mahomes was doing it at a young age. Add all the other stuff he does, and it's amazing 

We have a generational player at QB, and  I think he's still figuring some things out. We're putting too much on him IMHO. 

3 hours ago, jetlord said:

He missed every single deep throw and still hung 41. Getting close. He won’t miss those again 

8 hours ago, qnet said:

I normally agree with a lot of what you say Jet, but not sure about this time. I could be wrong because I haven't gone back and looked at all Mahomes plays, but those long sideline downfield plays are hard to complete. Mahomes made a lot of plays, but I don't remember him constantly hitting those long sideline plays that much.

He's done it, but not to the level people are thinking that I remember. In fact, not many QB's do that consistently from what I'v seen. 

I think we all, along with a lot of the pundits have an overinflated view of Mahomes because of the numbers he's put up in such a short time. The plays he's made this last game is what I remember, minus the check downs to backs.

All the long pass plays I remember Mahomes, are the scramble plays were he does something amazing/crazy, and hurls the ball across his body to hill, or plays like the 3rd & 15 in the SB.

What impressed me about Mahomes in his first season starting, was the way that he looked like a veteran QB,  scanning the field, and slinging the ball around. I can't explain it well, but after watching football all these years; I have never seen a Chiefs QB play like that, other than maybe Montana; and Mahomes was doing it at a young age. Add all the other stuff he does, and it's amazing 

We have a generational player at QB, and  I think he's still figuring some things out. We're putting too much on him IMHO. 

I'll have to look it up, but the percentage of 20+ yard attempts completed this year compared to previous years seems to be down.  Maybe Hill is hurting and a step slower or Hardman doesn't go all out early in the play, but there have been a number of deep balls missed this season and not all to the sideline or on scramble plays.  JMHO

8 hours ago, Calichief said:

He missed every single deep throw and still hung 41. Getting close. He won’t miss those again 

1 hour ago, jetlord said:

I'll have to look it up, but the percentage of 20+ yard attempts completed this year compared to previous years seems to be down.  Maybe Hill is hurting and a step slower or Hardman doesn't go all out early in the play, but there have been a number of deep balls missed this season and not all to the sideline or on scramble plays.  JMHO

I'm not sure what you guys think of this idea, but someone mentioned on a podcast that maybe he's trying not to throw it too short, were it would get picked off.

I remember watching him live at Jacksonville, during the 2019 season; and he threw a very nice deep pass to Watkins for 49 yards. He just stood back and lobbed it up effortlessly and Watkins ran right under it for a TD.  A lady from KC who sat in the row in front of me, looked back and said " they make it look so easy don't they?" In which I happily  agreed. 

Something has definitely been off, but looks like they're getting it together now. 

37 minutes ago, qnet said:

I'm not sure what you guys think of this idea, but someone mentioned on a podcast that maybe he's trying not to throw it too short, were it would get picked off.

I remember watching him live at Jacksonville, during the 2019 season; and he threw a very nice deep pass to Watkins for 49 yards. He just stood back and lobbed it up effortlessly and Watkins ran right under it for a TD.  A lady from KC who sat in the row in front of me, looked back and said " they make it look so easy don't they?" In which I happily  agreed. 

Something has definitely been off, but looks like they're getting it together now. 

Oh yea, I think Pat will get those deep balls figured out. After all, that's what he likes to do right?

I'm more interested in Pat executing an efficient and productive gameplan like he did Sunday night. If the oline continues to play well and Pat keeps up what we saw Sunday night, this offense will be virtually unstoppable. 

2 hours ago, qnet said:

They've gotten it together in the sense then the deep ball isn't required as often.  The 40 yarder is a thing of beauty when it connects but it should be rare and situational.  Remember the Garoppolo miss near the end of the SB?  A better throw and we might still be waiting for a win.  At the time, many of us thought that Pat wouldn't have missed that one.  This year he has on probably half a dozen cases.  Not always his fault, but he's spoiled us.  One more step by Hill or Hardman, and we wouldn't be having this discussion.