6 hours ago, jetlord said:

True, but take Mahomes out of the QB room and it looks pretty weak.  Kelce may be 31, but he's still playing at a high level and should have 3 or more good years left.  Maybe he'll drop to 800 yds. or get injured but any player can taper off and still be effective if the natural talent is there.  The Chiefs won't replace Kelce's production.  He's one of the best ever.  But they don't need to use a pick on his replacement yet. 

If you want to replace the top TE in the NFL that means spending a hight 1st which we'll hopefully never have. Chiefs need to develop Kelce's replacement and a mid round pick that can be coached up is as good as it gets to get started. Just keep picking a guy like Gray until the coaches like what they see and we'll go on from there. 

10 hours ago, jetlord said:

True, but take Mahomes out of the QB room and it looks pretty weak.  Kelce may be 31, but he's still playing at a high level and should have 3 or more good years left.  Maybe he'll drop to 800 yds. or get injured but any player can taper off and still be effective if the natural talent is there.  The Chiefs won't replace Kelce's production.  He's one of the best ever.  But they don't need to use a pick on his replacement yet. 

Does not have to be a first rounder if you are thinking that.  Kelce himself was a 3rd. We need to get a guy in the 3 to 5 round range that we can groom for a year or so 

1 hour ago, kkuenn said:

Does not have to be a first rounder if you are thinking that.  Kelce himself was a 3rd. We need to get a guy in the 3 to 5 round range that we can groom for a year or so 

Okay, but I think the Chiefs have higher priorities even in the third round.  WR, DE, CB, S, LB.  All are immediate needs, especially after shedding some current players.  I don't see getting a Kelce on the third day.  

15 minutes ago, jetlord said:

Okay, but I think the Chiefs have higher priorities even in the third round.  WR, DE, CB, S, LB.  All are immediate needs, especially after shedding some current players.  I don't see getting a Kelce on the third day.  

I think it would be a matter of who's available. In terms of the position TE doesn't have as much priority as most others, especially in 2022, due to Kelce being around and the expectations from Gray. It's not realistic to find a guy as polished as Kelce but if there's a guy that resembles a healthy Moeaki type in 4th or later I think that's when you pull the trigger and hope that he can be groomed into being the next Kelce.