He has improved, as he seems more comfortable.  His kryponite is the speed rush, because he's so big, his feet struggle to keep up with guys that space out and go speed.  This has led to a lot of "Mahomes has to help him and not move around in the pocket other than stepping up, bla bla bla" which doesn't make a lot of sense to me to try to change what makes Mahomes special.  I often felt like the defense of Brown struggling with the speed rush is that people wanted to turn Mahomes into Peyton Manning.  The acquisition of Brown still puzzles me to this day, because how does he really fit in here?  He's a mauler that would be great in a power running game.  Andy Reid is allergic to running the ball, and would die before ever adopting a true power game.  I guess what I'm trying to say is he's useful, and improving, but with how he does or does not fit into our offensive scheme, I'm hesitant to throw a massive contract at him that could become a real problem in a couple years.  

30 minutes ago, moons314 said:

He has improved, as he seems more comfortable.  His kryponite is the speed rush, because he's so big, his feet struggle to keep up with guys that space out and go speed.  This has led to a lot of "Mahomes has to help him and not move around in the pocket other than stepping up, bla bla bla" which doesn't make a lot of sense to me to try to change what makes Mahomes special.  I often felt like the defense of Brown struggling with the speed rush is that people wanted to turn Mahomes into Peyton Manning.  The acquisition of Brown still puzzles me to this day, because how does he really fit in here?  He's a mauler that would be great in a power running game.  Andy Reid is allergic to running the ball, and would die before ever adopting a true power game.  I guess what I'm trying to say is he's useful, and improving, but with how he does or does not fit into our offensive scheme, I'm hesitant to throw a massive contract at him that could become a real problem in a couple years.  

Once SF resigned Trent Williams, which we went hard after, what other options were out there? FA list was underwhelming, Balt was willing to trade, and it doesn't look like anyone was there at LT by the time we drafted. We could of traded up, but we would not have Bolton or Creed if so. The market was the market and the Fish injury screwed us. I think Veach did well considering the reality of the situation at the time. 

3 hours ago, moons314 said:

He's a very good pass blocker.  Let's not get it twisted.  Yes he has some issues sometimes with speed rushers who can bend the corner.  But consider, most tackles do.  Personally I think he's worth keeping.  Initially I had questions about his feet, which I still think suck but he's so damn long and strong, and a good technician to boot, that it hardly ever matters.  

I also don't think Andy's trying to turn Pat into Payton Manning but for his long term success he does need to learn to play in the pocket better and I think we're watching that maturation process this year.  He already has done much better at taking what the defense is giving.  

41 minutes ago, xen said:

He's a very good pass blocker.  Let's not get it twisted.  Yes he has some issues sometimes with speed rushers who can bend the corner.  But consider, most tackles do.  Personally I think he's worth keeping.  Initially I had questions about his feet, which I still think suck but he's so damn long and strong, and a good technician to boot, that it hardly ever matters.  

I also don't think Andy's trying to turn Pat into Payton Manning but for his long term success he does need to learn to play in the pocket better and I think we're watching that maturation process this year.  He already has done much better at taking what the defense is giving.  

matthew bingo GIF

Im coming around to the concept that we are witnessing a transformation from Mahomes that we can’t immediately quantify but this aspect of his game is only going to get better and make him more dangerous than he already is.   It will also prolong his career.   Brown has been way better as of late and this entire line is still just scratching the surface.   Wylie….even Wylie has looked adequate.   I think it can all come together this year but if it doesn’t next year is gonna be epic.  

6 hours ago, Lamardirts said:

Im coming around to the concept that we are witnessing a transformation from Mahomes that we can’t immediately quantify but this aspect of his game is only going to get better and make him more dangerous than he already is.   It will also prolong his career.   Brown has been way better as of late and this entire line is still just scratching the surface.   Wylie….even Wylie has looked adequate.   I think it can all come together this year but if it doesn’t next year is gonna be epic.  

This is correct. This nonsense about Mahomes not being a pocket QB is crazy. Again, every offensive line at every level is taught to create a pocket for their QB. And the QB is taught to play within that pocket. 

No one is telling this dude that he can't go off script when plays break down. And no one wants to take that aspect of his game away.

But you can't teach your offensive line to block a certain way and then tell your QB just do what comes naturally and don't worry about what your line is doing. It doesn't make any sense.

And he IS learning to play that way. Most always knew his footwork, mechanics, tendency to throw without establishing his base are things he would have to work on at the next level. Except for the few people here that think they should just let him continue playing that way.

Mahomes is still a ball of clay. And next season when he has a legit host of receivers, and is truly comfortable staying in that pocket and on the same page with his line...this offense is going to be insane.

And they aren't asking Mahomes to change his style of play to suit his line better. So people need to get that out if their heads too. This whole process was going to take time. But Brown is making real strides. The dude is a good player and I'm grateful to have him. LT is not a question mark here. Pay him and go address a position that is.

He has played better recently, but i still think it would be insane to allocate a large contract and cap dollars to this guy. I would rather take my chances in the draft or a cheaper free agency option. I have the same opinion on mathieu. Use those cap dollars to get mahomes some receivers who can catch the ball and dont waste them on average talent to appease the fans or justify your trades

5 minutes ago, CranjisMcbasketball said:

He has played better recently, but i still think it would be insane to allocate a large contract and cap dollars to this guy. I would rather take my chances in the draft or a cheaper free agency option. I have the same opinion on mathieu. Use those cap dollars to get mahomes some receivers who can catch the ball and dont waste them on average talent to appease the fans or justify your trades

And another DE, DT or LB etc. We could improve many areas by not resigning one of these guys imo. We can also look at FA for HB replacement or draft. This is where NE was best, letting go of older high priced FAs. HB fits this bill.

3 minutes ago, CranjisMcbasketball said:

If there had been a cheaper FA option that they liked then they would have gone that route, they did not trade for brown for one season of output. I see the franchise tag on the horizon

2 minutes ago, kkuenn said:

And another DE, DT or LB etc. We could improve many areas by not resigning one of these guys imo. We can also look at FA for HB replacement or draft. This is where NE was best, letting go of older high priced FAs. HB fits this bill.

if i had to chose one to go it would be Mathieu 

11 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

I'd wager the clark release is a forgone conclusion

Yep, no reason to think he would stick around even with a pay cut. Assuming he doesn't end up in jail he'll simply leave and enjoy the high guarantees. May be go for another shot in NFL before hitting 30. 

1 hour ago, CranjisMcbasketball said:

Neither OBJ or Tyrann are average talents.  The jury is already in on that.  4 sacks allowed by OBJ all year and that includes with his early struggles.  If your still basing your opinion on his early season play you need to take another look.

2 hours ago, kkuenn said:

Also Clark is paid way to much. He needs to either take a cut or be released. I know, we need DEs but this may get us a better options in FA too.

Clark and Reed's performance has gotten better the last few weeks, now is it because we added Ingram to the mix or were they hiding an injury??

Clarks offseason BS may not save his butt no matter what he does on the field...just one big distraction

Brown isn't going anywhere next season.  The Chiefs gave up a first for him and he's been effective and getting better.  Either a contract or tag will keep him here.  Clark won't be here on his original contract.  Either he renegotiates like Sammy did or he's gone.  I bet on "gone".  The Chiefs will have to spend on Nnadi and Hill will be up for a new contract soon.  Space will be gained by releasing Hitchens, Sorenson, and a few others.  

26 minutes ago, jetlord said:

Brown isn't going anywhere next season.  The Chiefs gave up a first for him and he's been effective and getting better.  Either a contract or tag will keep him here.  Clark won't be here on his original contract.  Either he renegotiates like Sammy did or he's gone.  I bet on "gone".  The Chiefs will have to spend on Nnadi and Hill will be up for a new contract soon.  Space will be gained by releasing Hitchens, Sorenson, and a few others.  

Sorenson being on a 1 year IIRC contract  I'm not soo sure about that if he is willing to sign another cheap contract. He certainly won't get a  "payday' so why not sign cheap and be happy?

Just now, oldtimer said:

Sorenson being on a 1 year IIRC contract  I'm not soo sure about that if he is willing to sign another cheap contract. He certainly won't get a  "payday' so why not sign cheap and be happy?

He's gonna be 32 and his play has declined.  I don't think we need old, poor players just because they sign cheap.  Hoping they can upgrade that important position.  

2 minutes ago, reesebobby said:

He's gonna be 32 and his play has declined.  I don't think we need old, poor players just because they sign cheap.  Hoping they can upgrade that important position.  

agreed  but the Chiefs seem to be challenged finding that player and then when Dan shows up like he did last week..well 

6 minutes ago, azchief21 said:

On the other side, Niang is supposed to be practicing this week

I know it's my CRS acting up but I have a hard time remembering if he was that much better than who we have playing now? He seems to be a no show or broke more often than not