I've thought about this, and of all players we're missing, Gay might be the least consequential.  Pretty sure he's still coming out in nickel and dime packages, and the Chargers with Herbert aren't going to come out and run the ball 35 times, so even if healthy, I don't think this matchup is one that would've been a big snap count for Gay.  

1 hour ago, moons314 said:

I've thought about this, and of all players we're missing, Gay might be the least consequential.  Pretty sure he's still coming out in nickel and dime packages, and the Chargers with Herbert aren't going to come out and run the ball 35 times, so even if healthy, I don't think this matchup is one that would've been a big snap count for Gay.  

If Ekeler plays he is an extension of their run game with the short passes and screens. Not having our 1 true sideline to sideline LB is a big deal. I think Jones is the big loss, but Gay is close in my opinion.

38 minutes ago, Iluvhouse24 said:

If Ekeler plays he is an extension of their run game with the short passes and screens. Not having our 1 true sideline to sideline LB is a big deal. I think Jones is the big loss, but Gay is close in my opinion.

Very true, but this is one of those matchups that I think spags would’ve normally played a lot of dime anyway.  It’s a loss no doubt, but true traditional linebackers aren’t as involved against your top tier qbs, at least not now since offense favorable rules have led to a pass happy league with declining rush rates among the top end. 

10 minutes ago, moons314 said:

Very true, but this is one of those matchups that I think spags would’ve normally played a lot of dime anyway.  It’s a loss no doubt, but true traditional linebackers aren’t as involved against your top tier qbs, at least not now since offense favorable rules have led to a pass happy league with declining rush rates among the top end. 

Yeah defensive backs are basically helpless without playing absolutely perfect, contact free coverage these days. It's bullshit. 

10 minutes ago, AFCWEST said:

I think Sneed is the critical loss. Now HB plays more slot vs safety? Hughes will need to have another stellar game. Maybe Hughes is on the exterior and Fenton in the slot? Chargers have so many weapons. Sneed is a huge loss.

Hughes has to be swollen up with confidence right now..we need a similar performance tonight. I hope he doesn't come crashing down.

4 hours ago, ClarksvilleChief said:

The loss of CJ and WGjr will be a huge loss.

Chargers 37

Chiefs 24

Truly , this is how I see it. I hate to say it. If we commit to the run we have a chance. Or if mecole breaks one on special teams. Need a team effort tonight. Both teams know the division is on the line 

5 hours ago, Calichief said:

They have to change protocol. If you are vaccinated, and a symptomatic, then you should be able to play. Life has to go on.

Oh, I agree with you, but according to all the "smart" people you can still spread it even if they are asymptomatic.  So then it gets to someone that is not vaccinated, and they maybe die, then you are really screwed.  With that being said, it still sucks that it hit on our biggest game of the year, but as Andy says, next man up!  I just wish we had men instead of Sorenson and Nieman!

5 hours ago, moons314 said:

As good as Gay has been, it's hard to say that Bolton isn't the best linebacker on the team.  

Gay can do a lot more than Bolton.  Bolton may be the best run defender and his passes defended last night was impressive, but I don't see him as a coverage LB at the moment.  

1 hour ago, jetlord said:

Gay can do a lot more than Bolton.  Bolton may be the best run defender and his passes defended last night was impressive, but I don't see him as a coverage LB at the moment.  

Gay is our best LB. And our leader. The energy he brings to the team is leadership and confidence. 

we need em both..

gay and bolton... means we only got one linebacker to replace. 

hell I dont even know what we need on offense. oh yeah.. we need a late first round reciever, who is tall, big, has consistent hands and is as fast as hill, and runs routes as clean as hill, in college..  yeah.. cuz our third reciever.. needs to have 100 yards plus a game, as well as hill and kelce, and 100 yards recieving for our running back, who must also have 100 yards rushing.. 

I see what you mean.. we definately suck.

1 hour ago, robgar said:

we need em both..

gay and bolton... means we only got one linebacker to replace. 

hell I dont even know what we need on offense. oh yeah.. we need a late first round reciever, who is tall, big, has consistent hands and is as fast as hill, and runs routes as clean as hill, in college..  yeah.. cuz our third reciever.. needs to have 100 yards plus a game, as well as hill and kelce, and 100 yards recieving for our running back, who must also have 100 yards rushing.. 

I see what you mean.. we definately suck.

Need a mike Williams, Michael Thomas type.

Thomas wants out of New Orleans 

3 hours ago, Calichief said:

Need a mike Williams, Michael Thomas type.

Thomas wants out of New Orleans 

Chiefs need to draft their #2 WR.  No top level receiver would want to come to KC when Hill and Kelce will be primary.  Other receiver would be lucky to get five targets and 40 yds. on a normal night.  Get a first or second rounder and develop him for the long term while drawing coverage now.  

12 minutes ago, mex said:

t'would be great but we don't have the cash for can'tguardmike

A renfrew/ Edelman type receiver would work. In and out of cuts and know when to sit down. 
possession type. easy throws for mahomes to get the ball out of his hands quick. 
this would also force teams to not keep two safeties back. 

Just now, Holmes4six! said:

A renfrew/ Edelman type receiver would work. In and out of cuts and know when to sit down. 
possession type. easy throws for mahomes to get the ball out of his hands quick. 
this would also force teams to not keep two safeties back. 

edelman still gives me nightmares dammit