Chiefs vs Bengals. Big Test.

Remaining on COVID-19 list

At the time of this writing, cornerback Rashad Fenton, safety Armani Watts, placekicker Harrison Butker and punter Tommy Townsend remain on the Chiefs’ Reserve/COVID-19 list — although the team saying goodbye to Fry (and the elder Townsend) indicate that the team’s regular placekicker and punter will be back this week.

Reserve/COVID-19 restorations and expectations

On Monday, the Chiefs activated offensive lineman Kyle Long to the 53-man roster from the Reserve/COVID-19 list, meaning he is expected to rejoin the team when practice resumes on Wednesday.

As a reminder, tight end linebacker Nick Bolton, tight end Travis Kelce and offensive lineman Lucas Niang were placed back on the 53-man roster on Saturday. Though they were unable to pass through COVID-19 protocols, the expectation is that they will also return to the field on Wednesday.

Goodbyes

On Tuesday, the Chiefs waived replacement kicker Elliot Fry and released replacement punter Johnny Townsend from his practice squad contract. The team also terminated the practice squad contracts of offensive lineman Paul Adams and wide receiver Dalton Schoen. On Monday, the team released punter Joseph Charlton.

Remaining on COVID-19 list

At the time of this writing, cornerback Rashad Fenton, safety Armani Watts, placekicker Harrison Butker and punter Tommy Townsend remain on the Chiefs’ Reserve/COVID-19 list — although the team saying goodbye to Fry (and the elder Townsend) indicate that the team’s regular placekicker and punter will be back this week.

Chiefs activated Travis Kelce from the reserve/COVID-19 list.

Players have often taken a game to ramp back up to full speed after returning from the COVID list but it's hard to see the Chiefs giving Noah Gray or Blake Bell significant snaps over him. It's even harder to imagine fantasy managers turning to a streaming tight end instead of Kelce. The top-five fantasy tight end can remain in lineups for a potential shootout with the Bengals this week.

Speaking Wednesday, Patrick Mahomes said Tyreek Hill "was exhausted out there" in Week 16 against the Steelers after spending the week on the COVID list.

We need to remember that some of these players testing positive are battling symptoms and legitimately not feeling well. Hill spent all of last week on the COVID list after testing positive before gaining clearance at the 11th hour. He played just 42% of the snaps against Pittsburgh and was fighting through it en route to two catches for 19 yards. Hopefully Hill is feeling better ahead of a Week 17 date with the Bengals.

31 minutes ago, AFCWEST said:

Speaking Wednesday, Patrick Mahomes said Tyreek Hill "was exhausted out there" in Week 16 against the Steelers after spending the week on the COVID list.

We need to remember that some of these players testing positive are battling symptoms and legitimately not feeling well. Hill spent all of last week on the COVID list after testing positive before gaining clearance at the 11th hour. He played just 42% of the snaps against Pittsburgh and was fighting through it en route to two catches for 19 yards. Hopefully Hill is feeling better ahead of a Week 17 date with the Bengals.

So it's a bad cold.

Chiefs designated Jerick McKinnon (hamstring) to return from injured reserve.

McKinnon suffered the hamstring injury in Week 11 and has been out ever since. This opens a 21-day window for him to be officially activated from injured reserve. If he can return this week, the timing would work out well for Kansas City. The Chiefs just lost Clyde Edwards-Helaire to a shoulder injury that could hold him out for a few weeks. 

I was worried at first, but then I took a look at stuff and the quality of teams/defenses the Bengals play isn't that great.  The are 3-3 against teams with a winning record, and two of those wins came against Ravens teams that were destroyed with injuries/covid each time.  The 3rd win was against the raiders...once they hit their mid season decline after their hot start.

I also saw defensive rankings against the teams that they've beaten.  With the exception of Denver, they are all among the worst defenses in the league:

image.png.ef7e535b8ade7c8a723143a13640a0f0.png

And even against the Bronocs...  they only scored 15 points.  The game was not won by Burrow and the offense either.  It was won because Bridgewater was knocked out of the game and Lock basically gave the game away.

The Chiefs will probably make this game interesting in their own Chiefs/Andy Reid way, but i honestly expect this to be a relaxing game as a chiefs fan.  

10 minutes ago, WichitaZRide said:

I was worried at first, but then I took a look at stuff and the quality of teams/defenses the Bengals play isn't that great.  The are 3-3 against teams with a winning record, and two of those wins came against Ravens teams that were destroyed with injuries/covid each time.  The 3rd win was against the raiders...once they hit their mid season decline after their hot start.

I also saw defensive rankings against the teams that they've beaten.  With the exception of Denver, they are all among the worst defenses in the league:

image.png.ef7e535b8ade7c8a723143a13640a0f0.png

And even against the Bronocs...  they only scored 15 points.  The game was not won by Burrow and the offense either.  It was won because Bridgewater was knocked out of the game and Lock basically gave the game away.

The Chiefs will probably make this game interesting in their own Chiefs/Andy Reid way, but i honestly expect this to be a relaxing game as a chiefs fan.  

Thanks nice breakdown. 

Apparently Joe Burrow is the "it" guy right now. These questions analysts ask...."who would you rather have leading your team for the next 5 years. Mahomes or Burrow?" "What's more likely....Burrow going off on the Chiefs defense or the defense holding the Bengals in check?" I won't bother giving the answers cuz you know what was said. Somebody get the cloths and be ready to polish the Bengals' rings!! I'm just sayin'.

3 hours ago, azchief21 said:

I wonder if the Chiefs should even show up. On the bright side, after the first 4 weeks of the season it would have been difficult to imagine the Chiefs defense would be considered better than anybody. 

They do have the best running back and I'd give them the pass catchers once one gets past the first two targets, but no way is Burrows superior to Mahomes at this point in his career  He want off for 500 yards against a depleted Raven defense and became a sensation for it.  No denying his talent or potential, but the body of work and the playoff wins have to come first.