Chiefs Bengals game day thread.

3 minutes ago, artsy said:

I think Sorenson has been more 'LUCKY" than thornhill this year...Dan hasn't really MADE many big plays to me. Has some balls bounced his way, yes. Has he been in the right place at the right time a couple of times this year? Yes.

But made plays??? Nope..not to me.

Sorenson, HB, Clark, Hitchens and Reed can "Get Gone" next year. Cutting these "JAGS" will free up a shit load of money and allow us to get younger and faster.

Agreed across the board. Especially the last paragraph. Our defense still needs to add more speed and playmaking ability. And that's over 45 million in cap space freed up with players you just named.

53 minutes ago, DieHard said:

Thornhill has gotten a lot of snaps (125 more than Dirty Dan). And, I am not saying Dirty Dan is great by any stretch of the imagination. But the numbers reinforce what the eye test says for me.

Thornhill has 1 INT, 3 PDs and 59 Tot Tackles

Dan has 2 INTs, 8 PDs, 50 Tot Tackles with 125 less snaps.

Just saying, the narrative that Dan is trash and Thornhill is a stud does not match what we see on the field. This year or last. Dan gets the blame and Thornhill gets excuses. The truth is that they are both pretty average with different strengths and weaknesses. 

How much of that is because his player is covered, so they don't throw at him??

1 hour ago, Iluvhouse24 said:

And much more of a liability. How many big plays have been direct result of him being unable to handle his coverage responsibility and getting smoked?

And I'm sure it hasn't occurred to you that the reason you don't see Thornhill making a ton of plays on the ball is because QBs don't throw his direction nearly as much when he is on the field and helping deep. Sorenson however is targeted constantly because he can't cover any player deep.

In the box in that hybrid role, and as a blitzer he can be an effective player. Anytime he is relied upon to cover or even to help cover anyone with speed on the back end he becomes a glaring weakness. Thornhill doesn't cause that problem

They do play very different roles. Dan gets smoked a lot in man coverage. He is covering one on one more than Thornhill who much of the time is the deep safety instead of the box. That is kind of my point. We are getting exploited by deep passes recently where the coverage guy gets burned. I saying we need do better at the deep safety position. If I the deep safety and I see Ward being worked, I think I cheat over there and keep #1 from getting deep on me. 

1 hour ago, artsy said:

I think Sorenson has been more 'LUCKY" than thornhill this year...Dan hasn't really MADE many big plays to me. Has some balls bounced his way, yes. Has he been in the right place at the right time a couple of times this year? Yes.

Sorenson, HB, Clark, Hitchens and Reed can "Get Gone" next year. Cutting these "JAGS" will free up a shit load of money and allow us to get younger and faster.

But, he has. You will likely get most of what you want next year, but not all. Hitch and Clark will be gone I think. HB, Dan and Reed will likely be here if the dollars are right. Maybe not Reed because I don’t know what he thinks he is worth. 

1 hour ago, Spfdchiefsfan said:

How much of that is because his player is covered, so they don't throw at him??

Exactly. The real question is what is the number of targets at each defender. I bet teams challenge Sorensen more than Thornhill. 
This then causes more opportunities for stats. 

23 hours ago, oldtimer said:

I'll disagree..Devastating? No, Chiefs play just fine away. Disappointing yes. I certainly think Cinci is the Team we dont want to see again this season.  The Burrows to Chase connection is frightening but they had lost a few games so they are beatable. HFA altho would of been nice I dont think 90%+ of us ever thought it possible. I did predict 12-5 but never in my wildest dreams think HFA. I prefer to think of this as the wake  up call this team needed so I'm rolling with that. Now if the Donks beat the Chiefs I will revaluate.

Regardless of the 260 by Chase it was a 3 point loss for God's sake. DT had 7 sacks in one game and we lost it on the last play ..chit happens.

I won’t mind seeing cincy again. I’m not one to bitch at the refs, but they gave cincy all the breaks and that usually doesn’t happen. I like our ground attack vs them, and also our air game. We’ll beat their ass in the playoffs.

it’s the chargers I don’t want to see.

6 hours ago, jetlord said:

My dream scenario.  Raiders beat the Chargers and get the #7 seed and play in Arrowhead in the first round.  Sure, it's hard to beat the same team three times in a season, but the Raiders?  That would be awesome. 

I don’t want to see any afc west team. I’d love a crack at the bungles again

27 minutes ago, mex said:

I don’t want to see any afc west team. I’d love a crack at the bungles again

The way it stands now, it would be the Chargers/Raiders, the Bengals, and whoever beats the Titans, all in Arrowhead.  If the Titans win their first game, the Chiefs have to travel to Indy.  Of course, it all depends on the Chiefs winning Sat and their winning the first two rounds of the playoffs.  

On 1/3/2022 at 10:56 AM, artsy said:

Reed has played well as of late.

On 1/4/2022 at 5:17 PM, jetlord said:

The way it stands now, it would be the Chargers/Raiders, the Bengals, and whoever beats the Titans, all in Arrowhead.  If the Titans win their first game, the Chiefs have to travel to Indy.  Of course, it all depends on the Chiefs winning Sat and their winning the first two rounds of the playoffs.  

Really? Being that Indy would be a wildcard I think that if they play them it would be at Arrowhead. Doesn't the higher seed always get HFA?