Chiefs Bengals game day thread.

I’m not scared of playing anyone.  Especially the Colts.   Wentz isn’t good enough.   

What scares me is our our team knocking itself out.  Spags is a good DC but today is inexcusable.   Teams double and bracket our best guys all the time and it most definitely helps their D.   Spags needed to have his butt chewed by Andy at half time and definitely after the 3rd quarter when we thought we could guard Chase 1v1.  It’s that kind of arrogance that could cost us in the playoffs.   If we doubled him they don’t even sniff the win today,   Not rotating Thornhill over to chase on that 3rd and long zero blitz is infuriating.   

With all that said we put up 31 points without our starting tackles for practically the entire game and lost by 3 vs an all time performance aided by horrible officiating.

This loss will galvanize us.   Mahomes is back!   He found his mojo and Andy crapped on himself and didn’t give him a chance to prove it at the end.   This win will give Bengals false hope kinda like our win vs Bucs last year.   

We will be just fine!

1 minute ago, Lamardirts said:

I’m not scared of playing anyone.  Especially the Colts.   Wentz isn’t good enough.   

What scares me is our our team knocking itself out.  Spags is a good DC but today is inexcusable.   Teams double and bracket our best guys all the time and it most definitely helps their D.   Spags needed to have his butt chewed by Andy at half time and definitely after the 3rd quarter when we thought we could guard Chase 1v1.  It’s that kind of arrogance that could cost us in the playoffs.   If we doubled him they don’t even sniff the win today,   Not rotating Thornhill over to chase on that 3rd and long zero blitz is infuriating.   

With all that said we put up 31 points without our starting tackles for practically the entire game and lost by 3 vs an all time performance aided by horrible officiating.

This loss will galvanize us.   Mahomes is back!   He found his mojo and Andy crapped on himself and didn’t give him a chance to prove it at the end.   This win will give Bengals false hope kinda like our win vs Bucs last year.   

We will be just fine!

Pretty much. The second half offense is kinda got me confused. I can’t figure out how they only got 3

2 minutes ago, Calichief said:

I’m trying to figure out how we only scored 3 in the second half 

3 possessions.

First possession sucked iirc.  2nd was screwed by the refs on that Wylie hold when his Facemask was being blatantly held and the non call on Hill on 3rd down and then Andy’s gutless punt when our D wasn’t stopping anything.   Final possession  we failed to account for the blitz and every route was a long developing route which forced the fg.

Andy went gutless and Spags went arrogant and we lost.

4 minutes ago, Calichief said:

Pretty much. The second half offense is kinda got me confused. I can’t figure out how they only got 3

They can’t decide if they want to be a dominant rushing team so we sprinkle in some rpos that don’t work.   Then being off the field go so long in that cold has to get you off a little.  The officiating killed that 2nd drive.   Finally play calling wasn’t great. Cinch showed blitz we just pretended it wasn’t coming and then preceded to run deep routes on 3rd down with no option for Mahomes in the event of a blitz to pick up the first.   

"They just have to stop getting in their own way." This basically sums up the whole thing. We simply had the worse defensive and offensive coaches that crippled the team. Refs were terrible but they wouldn't matter if the coaching did what they were supposed to do. IF we don't stand in our way this team is SB bound but the coaching has to come to their senses and actually do something in the game instead of repeating pre-game wishes. 

It was a good game. I know that everyone should be fired when we lose and everyone is great when we win. 3 point loss on the road to a first place team after 8 straight really means very little to me. The bye means little to me. Injuries are all that worry me now. Losing our swing tackle hurts, but Remmers should be back in the playoffs I think.l

15 minutes ago, DieHard said:

It was a good game. I know that everyone should be fired when we lose and everyone is great when we win. 3 point loss on the road to a first place team after 8 straight really means very little to me. The bye means little to me. Injuries are all that worry me now. Losing our swing tackle hurts, but Remmers should be back in the playoffs I think.l

IMO the loss is fine. In fact if we clinched the bye I'm not sure playing the next real game in 3 weeks would be good for the team either. We could still win if Hill didn't drop two very easy passes and it would still be a questionable one for me. I would prefer to see the coaches try to adjust and fail for a loss rather than just do nothing and still lose the game. We have seen the same issue multiple times this season, lack of adjustment from coaches create substantiated worry for the playoffs considering that we lost to pretty much all the teams we'll be facing. 

3 minutes ago, sith13 said:

IMO the loss is fine. In fact if we clinched the bye I'm not sure playing the next real game in 3 weeks would be good for the team either. However I would prefer to see the coaches try to adjust and fail for a loss rather than just do nothing and still lose the game. We have seen the same issue multiple times this season, lack of adjustment from coaches create substantiated worry for the playoffs considering that we lost to pretty much all the teams we'll be facing. 

I find myself wondering where the deep safety is a lot. Thornhill maybe should have been thinking about helping Ward with #1. He looked out of position to be a lot. Seems like HB and Dan make a lot more plays. Seldom see him involved. 
At the same time, we blitz quite a bit and you need to win 1 on 1 when you do that. I think I would stick with the blitz and roll the dice. Soft zone type D is hard to watch for me. If we had scored more than 3 points in the second half, we wouldn’t be talking about it I guess.

Watched the highlights. The Chiefs really looked good  in the first half. Jamar Chase is just really good. I've caught a few Bengals games, and they have looked good. Knew it would be a tough game, but was happy how the Chiefs started it.

The highlights only show a few penalties, so I didn't see the bad calls being talked about. 

Having home field in the playoffs would be nice, but  I think the Chiefs play pretty good on the road.

1 minute ago, DieHard said:

I find myself wondering where the deep safety is a lot. Thornhill maybe should have been thinking about helping Ward with #1. He looked out of position to be a lot. Seems like HB and Dan make a lot more plays. Seldom see him involved. 
At the same time, we blitz quite a bit and you need to win 1 on 1 when you do that. I think I would stick with the blitz and roll the dice. Soft zone type D is hard to watch for me. If we had scored more than 3 points in the second half, we wouldn’t be talking about it I guess.

True, we were still very close to just pencil this one as a win and move on. If we actually got a TD to end the first half I doubt Bengals have any heart to go on in 3rd and could have been over by then. Thornhill baffled me a bit, he's generally the smarter Safety but looked out of position quite a few times. There were receivers behind him more often than not and couple of them led to terrible TD plays. 

I love the aggressive defense and the blitz but felt like it was set in stone for us in that 3rd & 27 as if it actually mattered. We know that no QB will take a sack there and throwing it away still means a FG from that range. Making it easy for them to get the 1st was just the final blow to the terrible coaching mistakes we saw all game long. 

6 hours ago, Lamardirts said:

We will be just fine!

This is pretty much my exact thoughts on the whole situation.

45 minutes ago, DieHard said:

Spagnuolo prefers 3 safeties to 3 CBs in our nickel package so yesterday you got a chance to see Badger in the slot with Sorensen having responsibility for helping cover Chase deep after the corner peeled off. And right on cue he took a pathetic angle and was literally beat by about 10 yards.

We saw an immediate improvement with this defense when they reinstated Thornhill as a starter and limited Sorenson to nickel and dime around mid-season.

Sorenson was among the top 5 defenders in the league in missed tackles, and was the 2nd worst graded safety in the league with qualifying number of snaps when he was in the starting lineup. The dude is a bum. 

12 minutes ago, Iluvhouse24 said:

Spagnuolo prefers 3 safeties to 3 CBs in our nickel package so yesterday you got a chance to see Badger in the slot with Sorensen having responsibility for helping cover Chase deep after the corner peeled off. And right on cue he took a pathetic angle and was literally beat by about 10 yards.

We saw an immediate improvement with this defense when they reinstated Thornhill as a starter and limited Sorenson to nickel and dime around mid-season.

Sorenson was among the top 5 defenders in the league in missed tackles, and was the 2nd worst graded safety in the league with qualifying number of snaps when he was in the starting lineup. The dude is a bum. 

You certainly pay more attention to al that than I do and JMO here but if that is the case we need to draft Safety High who is heir apparent to  the Badger whom I now affectionally call  the Gerbil. His age I do believe is catching up with him and have come to the realization that I would not be pissed if the Chiefs chose  not to resign him. That being said I would also no be mad if the Chiefs moved up to draft the Saftey from Notre Dame..he's another Eric Berry IMO.

17 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

You certainly pay more attention to al that than I do and JMO here but if that is the case we need to draft Safety High who is heir apparent to  the Badger whom I now affectionally call  the Gerbil. His age I do believe is catching up with him and have come to the realization that I would not be pissed if the Chiefs chose  not to resign him. That being said I would also no be mad if the Chiefs moved up to draft the Saftey from Notre Dame..he's another Eric Berry IMO.

I wouldnt be upset if Badger walked in free agency, but Clark Hunt saying a few weeks ago that resigning him is an offseason priority, tells me he is staying. Hunt isn't one to mince words or blow smoke, and its his money.

Plus Spags a few weeks ago talking about the extra things that Matthieu does. He said Badger will have the DBs out there 15 minutes before practice starts, working on footwork drills. He's another coach on the field.

I think his lack of speed and size hurts us at times, and his skillset may be one where his play falls off cliff. That said, his leadership is really valuable especially on the back end. I think he is staying. 

2 minutes ago, Iluvhouse24 said:

I wouldnt be upset if Badger walked in free agency, but Clark Hunt saying a few weeks ago that resigning him is an offseason priority, tells me he is staying. Hunt isn't one to mince words or blow smoke, and its his money.

Plus Spags a few weeks ago talking about the extra things that Matthieu does. He said Badger will have the DBs out there 15 minutes before practice starts, working on footwork drills. He's another coach on the field.

I think his lack of speed and size hurts us at times, and his skillset may be one where his play falls off cliff. That said, his leadership is really valuable especially on the back end. I think he is staying. 

all valid points but I still think  a safety is a need in the upcoming draft.

5 minutes ago, Iluvhouse24 said:

I don't mind him staying, in fact until this season he has been nothing but great on the field and those leadership qualities are just awesome extras. However I'm not sure about the cost of retaining him. We have been expecting a huge jump in salary cap but the pandemic is too unpredictable to commit to every single player.

Even though I didn't hear Hunt talking about it and can't be certain about his demeanor, since it's Hunt saying that he'll stay I'm pretty sure they'll try to resign him but we'll see how the numbers come up. The last time I remember Hunt making such comments we made Berry the highest paid Safety in the NFL. 

Just now, Iluvhouse24 said:

I do too. Gerbil, douchey Dan, and Watts are all UFA.

We definitely don't have enough Safeties on the roster even if HB is extended, at least one newcomer is a guarantee but I hope Dirty Dan doesn't come back. The new vet minimum is way too tricky for most teams as he doesn't cost as much as the money paid to him which sucks when you really want to get rid of a player that the staff likes. 

27 minutes ago, Iluvhouse24 said:

I do too. Gerbil, douchey Dan, and Watts are all UFA. If they paid one of Ward or Gerbil, who would you prefer?

I guess it depends on the cap hits..Dan comes cheap but bogles my mind to think someone out there is not better my only guess is that h knows the system and his periodic  great plays makes him worth all the other headaches. He should not be signed again even if it's for free. Ward or the Gerbil?  Depends on the Cap hit I guess. I'm not that good of a talent evaluator.  Gerbil sure looked slow  yesterday.

2 hours ago, Iluvhouse24 said:

I know you probably don't want to admit it, but he has been more of a play maker than Thornhill. 

Thornhill has gotten a lot of snaps (125 more than Dirty Dan). And, I am not saying Dirty Dan is great by any stretch of the imagination. But the numbers reinforce what the eye test says for me.

Thornhill has 1 INT, 3 PDs and 59 Tot Tackles

Dan has 2 INTs, 8 PDs, 50 Tot Tackles with 125 less snaps.

Just saying, the narrative that Dan is trash and Thornhill is a stud does not match what we see on the field. This year or last. Dan gets the blame and Thornhill gets excuses. The truth is that they are both pretty average with different strengths and weaknesses. 

10 minutes ago, DieHard said:

I know you probably don't want to admit it, but he has been more of a play maker than Thornhill. 

I think Sorenson has been more 'LUCKY" than thornhill this year...Dan hasn't really MADE many big plays to me. Has some balls bounced his way, yes. Has he been in the right place at the right time a couple of times this year? Yes.

But made plays??? Nope..not to me.

Sorenson, HB, Clark, Hitchens and Reed can "Get Gone" next year. Cutting these "JAGS" will free up a shit load of money and allow us to get younger and faster.

1 hour ago, DieHard said:

And much more of a liability. How many big plays have been direct result of him being unable to handle his coverage responsibility and getting smoked?

And I'm sure it hasn't occurred to you that the reason you don't see Thornhill making a ton of plays on the ball is because QBs don't throw his direction nearly as much when he is on the field and helping deep. Sorenson however is targeted constantly because he can't cover any player deep.

In the box in that hybrid role, and as a blitzer he can be an effective player. Anytime he is relied upon to cover or even to help cover anyone with speed on the back end he becomes a glaring weakness. Thornhill doesn't cause that problem