Niang Serious Injury Update

TThe Kansas City Chiefs knew they were going to have to do some rewiring along the offensive line going forward after losing two tackles to start their game against the Cincinnati Bengals in Week 17. When it comes to the loss of Lucas Niang, it’s going to be a season-ending loss that creates doubt around the position in the short-term and the long-term.

When Niang first went down early in the first quarter for the Chiefs, he required a cart to get off the field, a sign that the injury was indeed serious. After the game, head coach Andy Reid informed reporters that he tore his patellar tendon—an injury that requires an extensive amount of rehabilitation to return to the field. It’s also something that might keep Niang from coming back to full strength at all.

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports Chiefs LT Orlando Brown's calf injury is "minor."

Brown suffered the injury in pre-game warmups ahead of Week 17 and did not play. Rapoport reports he underwent an MRI that revealed a minor injury. It is unclear if Brown will be ready for the season finale, but he likely will be good to go for the playoffs. 

1 hour ago, moons314 said:

We really need to draft a right tackle, someone who can take the position for the next five years. 

after taking a year off and his  lack of ability to play this.. I think  him as a back up is about all we can expect. Shwartz has shown no real interest in returning and is not an option.. a RT Draft pick or an aged Vet is probably our best option for next year. the Long experiment was piss n a fan.

That being said our RT was not the reason for the L today

Just now, Thegoatee said:

It would be amazing if Brown moved to RT and we got a new stud at LT. But Brown will be kept as the LT and a project or rent a tackle will be the RT.

I do not think Brown is a project. He has proven to be solid and improving. He is a starter in the Pro Bowl. Yes its the Pro Bowl but still he is a starter. Thats not a project. 

8 minutes ago, AFCWEST said:

I do not think Brown is a project. He has proven to be solid and improving. He is a starter in the Pro Bowl. Yes its the Pro Bowl but still he is a starter. Thats not a project. 

I didn’t call Brown a project…. They will probably acquire a project or rent a tackle for RT next year.

Niang has the talent to be a decent swing tackle and may be the reduced role could help him stay on the field. A new OT was already a need, we just need to find that as a starter instead of a backup. If Niang bounces back and proves he can stay healthy I think he might be a decent option a couple years down the line but until then he's a swing tackle at best. 

14 hours ago, Thegoatee said:

It would be amazing if Brown moved to RT and we got a new stud at LT. But Brown will be kept as the LT and a project or rent a tackle will be the RT.

The problem with this is Playing LT is the only reason we even have Brown.  He basically demanded a trade from the Ravens because he wasn't going to get to play LT.  It would be the same situation all over, especially now that he's shown that he is damn good at LT.

16 minutes ago, WichitaZRide said:

The problem with this is Playing LT is the only reason we even have Brown.  He basically demanded a trade from the Ravens because he wasn't going to get to play LT.  It would be the same situation all over, especially now that he's shown that he is damn good at LT.

Yep, I don't see Brown accepting a move to RT. It may be a temporary thing during the season if needed but he'll definitely want the extension as the LT and then consider other possibilities for the team. 

23 minutes ago, azchief21 said:

Got to give it up to Thuney for jumping out there yesterday. A great acquisition. 

Thuney is a "Grown ASS MAN". A real "Football Player". 

I hope Thuney, Creed and Trey Smith stick around for a looooong time.

Now all we have to do is get Andy to let those guys eat, by running the ball MORE.

1 minute ago, artsy said:

Thuney is a "Grown ASS MAN". A real "Football Player". 

I hope Thuney, Creed and Trey Smith stick around for a looooong time.

Now all we have to do is get Andy to let those guys eat, by running the ball MORE.

We have all 3 together for at least 3 more seasons so the interior is definitely set in stone unless we have some injury issues. It's all about finding healthy OTs to finish off the line. 

On 1/3/2022 at 12:02 AM, CranjisMcbasketball said:

Niang shouldn’t be on the roster next season even if he returns to full health. Not reliable and just ok when he does play.

Disagree.  Niang has three more cheap years on his contract and anything the Chiefs get out of him, whether as a backup, swing, or RT starter is gravy.  The injuries are a concern and may prevent him ever becoming a solid part of the O-line, but having him on the roster next season is worth it.  

i was watching highlights of the steelers players blowing past the Browns OT's to destroy mayfield last night, made me feel better that we had better results against the Bengals. We can still get decent production out of Niang, but we will have to let him heal from this latest setback.

1 hour ago, WichitaZRide said:

I noticed several times he was also pushing the RB for more yards after contact.  Had 3 or 4 plays alone that i saw where he was probably responsible for another 3+ yards.  

it also helps that he was playing next to Brown and/or Thuney...those guys raise the bar higher!

21 hours ago, jetlord said:

Disagree.  Niang has three more cheap years on his contract and anything the Chiefs get out of him, whether as a backup, swing, or RT starter is gravy.  The injuries are a concern and may prevent him ever becoming a solid part of the O-line, but having him on the roster next season is worth it.  

I dont know why anyone pays attention to his analysis of offensive lineman. He said 3 weeks ago that Brown had proven he was nothing more than a 1 yr rental 🤣🤣. Brown is a stud and hasn't reached his ceiling.He seems to think tackles grow on trees.

Like you said, Niang is good depth at minimum, and it's not like the dude wants to be injured. 

On 1/5/2022 at 3:10 AM, sith13 said:

Playing next to Thuney and Creed definitely seem to have worked out for Allegretti. I think he could end up sticking around for a while as a decent backup. 

Watch the play where Gore ran it to the one.  Allegretti just mauled his guy and left him flat on the ground.