Morning after Bengals game

Well after sleeping on it and watching the game again here are my thoughts. 

- O line played very well considering the last minute changes. Thuney is a stud. I liked what Allegretti did as well. 

- Williams our RB played a solid game. As i said before, with him in the line up there seems to be more cohesiveness and effeiciency when running the ball. Less negative plays. 

- Offense: Played very well in first half. Hill needed to catch that ball which could have been 3-7 points. Second half drop by Kelce hurt and penalties stalling our drives. 

Defense- Miscues/ missed assignments and Spags decsions on covering Chase and the 3rd and 27. Really, if he would just have put saftey help on chase after the first TD we would have limited the damage. The 3rd and 27 and calling a zero blitz is the most mind numbing call I have seen. I beleive it was the Jets D coordinator that got fired last year for calling the same thing. 

Special Teams- played well. One holding call on that pringle return hurt us. 

Overall, I am disappointed in Spags. Situational football. 3 rd and 27 with about 300 or so min left...make them kick the FG and get the ball back. Very simple. Rush 3 and drop into coverage and force them to take the underneath. 

Anyways we more than likely be playing wild card weekend. 

I am thankful that our chiefs are back in the dance especially this year when there is so much parity in the league. Our playoff run is going to come down to minimizing our own self inflicted wounds. No one can stop us except us. Its that simple and others on this board have said that many of times. 

Go chiefs! 

I would like to see Chiefs lay a 50 burger on the broncos and have no injuries. 

11 minutes ago, azchief21 said:

Our CBs are decent but we don't have a CB on our roster that can match up in man on Chase. Not even close. Spags called a terrible game. He had more yards yesterday than his previous 4 games combined. Zero adjustments. In fact, it got worse as the game went on. 

Yep..Arrogance on Spags' part. 

I've always said....Spags's gameplans are usually pretty good. After all the defense has been playing well. However, his personnel decisions seem to boggle my mind sometimes. 

The Sorenson over Thornhill, Hitchens over Bolton has been a mystery. And now making Ward play on an island against "Randy Moss Jr", for the entire second half was another bad decision.

4 minutes ago, artsy said:

Yep..Arrogance on Spags' part. 

I've always said....Spags's gameplans are usually pretty good. After all the defense has been playing well. However, his personnel decisions seem to boggle my mind sometimes. 

The Sorenson over Thornhill, Hitchens over Bolton has been a mystery. And now making Ward play on an island against "Randy Moss Jr", for the entire second half was another bad decision.

It's stubbornness as well. This is what we do, and we're sticking with it type of mentality only gets you beat in a league of parity. I'm also Happy the Chiefs lost. How many of these games did we get away with in 2020 down the stretch letting the other team come back? Chiefs will need to make adjustments now. Get this loss out of the way, and start with a clean slate heading into the postseason. 

2 minutes ago, DefensiveMan said:

It's stubbornness as well. This is what we do, and we're sticking with it type of mentality only gets you beat in a league of parity. I'm also Happy the Chiefs lost. How many of these games did we get away with in 2020 down the stretch letting the other team come back? Chiefs will need to make adjustments now. Get this loss out of the way, and start with a clean slate heading into the postseason. 

You would wish our coaches could learn from this. Unfortunately a a lot of this isn’ta new thing, yet it continues to happen. Andy has let of the gas all too often in his career. 
Spags spent the first half of the season playing guys he shouldn’t. Only to resort back to them constantly. Putting Sorensen deep again. 

7 minutes ago, DefensiveMan said:

Yup. Now we now that we don't have the "personnel" to play certain offenses during certain situations in the game. Ward is a "solid" CB. However neither him nor Fenton or even Sneed for that matter is good enough to take away monsters like Chase.....Or Devonta Adams....Or even AJ BROWN (looking at you Tenn)

13 minutes ago, artsy said:

Yup. Now we now that we don't have the "personnel" to play certain offenses during certain situations in the game. Ward is a "solid" CB. However neither him nor Fenton or even Sneed for that matter is good enough to take away monsters like Chase.....Or Devonta Adams....Or even AJ BROWN (looking at you Tenn)

who is really? I mean league wide.. a precious few thats who and the Chiefs are not going to be in a good enough position to draft some one who is and probably couldn't afford  a FA who is. Spags can only play who he's got and they altho serviceable are not shutdown corners.  Thats Veach's job Defense wins championships and this D was 21st overall according to the  chart shown on TV yesterday. The Chiefs need a top 15 at least. ALso need to think about finding a new #1 WR and making Tyreek 1B. As much as I like Tyreek Chase made me wish he was 6-8 inchs taller

Like was mentioned earlier we need younger ( cheaper) and faster

2 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

who is really? I mean league wide.. a precious few thats who and the Chiefs are not going to be in a good enough position to draft some one who is and probably couldn't afford  a FA who is. Spags can only play who he's got and they altho serviceable are not shutdown corners.  Thats Veach's job Defense wins championships and this D was 21st overall according to the  chart shown on TV yesterday. The Chiefs need a top 15 at least. ALso need to think about finding a new #1 WR and making Tyreek 1B. As much as I like Tyreek Chase made me wish he was 6 inchs taller

Yes sir. I agree with you on the #1 WR also.

I keep hearing people say we need a "real" #2 WR....We need a real #1 WR. 

4 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

Always? maybe you should go out and show him  with aDB in your face..ball was under thrown if anything. 

Same thing happened in the superbowl. He tries to curl the ball into his body instead of attacking it with his hands. Hit his helmet

You guys remember the regular season game against at Tennessee like 3 yrs ago? Game on the line. Tennessee out of timeouts. We needed like 2 yards for a first down and we could run the clock out? Reid called a designed rollout with Blake Bell as the intended WR. It failed.

Then Tennesse came back down and scored. Rashad Fenton fell down in coverage on the score. I think that was the same game.

That was the last time I can remember an individual play call as ignorant and costly as the zero blitz yesterday on 3rd and 27. I'm still fuckin mad about it.

2 minutes ago, Iluvhouse24 said:

You guys remember the regular season game against at Tennessee like 3 yrs ago? Game on the line. Tennessee out of timeouts. We needed like 2 yards for a first down and we could run the clock out? Reid called a designed rollout with Blake Bell as the intended WR. It failed.

Then Tennesse came back down and scored. Rashad Fenton fell down in coverage on the score. I think that was the same game.

That was the last time I can remember an individual play call as ignorant and costly as the zero blitz yesterday on 3rd and 27. I'm still fuckin mad about it.

Let a rookie have 266 yards like that. More passing yards than Mahomes had that game.

Good. This defense needs some humility. Acting like we got the best defense but truth be told they haven’t been tested other than the Chargers game, and the Chargers were driving up and down the field from what I remember. 

50 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

who is really? I mean league wide.. a precious few thats who and the Chiefs are not going to be in a good enough position to draft some one who is and probably couldn't afford  a FA who is. Spags can only play who he's got and they altho serviceable are not shutdown corners.  Thats Veach's job Defense wins championships and this D was 21st overall according to the  chart shown on TV yesterday. The Chiefs need a top 15 at least. ALso need to think about finding a new #1 WR and making Tyreek 1B. As much as I like Tyreek Chase made me wish he was 6-8 inchs taller

46 minutes ago, artsy said:

Yes sir. I agree with you on the #1 WR also.

I keep hearing people say we need a "real" #2 WR....We need a real #1 WR. 

Hill has worked hard at becoming the player he is, but I understand were you both are coming from.  As much as he was injured, Watkins is really missed. On that point, I agree with OT about getting a younger guy. 

2 hours ago, artsy said:

We actually were the more physical team on both sides of the ball. We pushed them around, and we're running the ball down their throats. It's rare that another team "out finessed" us per say. That goal line stand was overlooked bc of the awful penalty. I like this moving forward in the playoffs. Takes a guy going off for 3 TDs and nearly 300 yards to beat us by 3. 

1 hour ago, Iluvhouse24 said:

Yup..

All Spags had to do was tell Ward to give Chase a 10 to 15 yd cushion..ESPECIALLY since we were zero blitizing!! Ward would've been facing the qb and had a realistic chance at making a play on the ball and tackling the WR. 

Instead, spags went zero blitz with press man coverage????? Treating Ward like he is Jalen Ramsey or something??

Good grief...I'm mad about it too!

11 minutes ago, artsy said:

Yup..

All Spags had to do was tell Ward to give Chase a 10 to 15 yd cushion..ESPECIALLY since we were zero blitizing!! Ward would've been facing the qb and had a realistic chance at making a play on the ball and tackling the WR. 

Instead, spags went zero blitz with press man coverage????? Treating Ward like he is Jalen Ramsey or something??

Good grief...I'm mad about it too!

Ryan on RGR kept is 100%

Said Ward was facing a superior athlete and needed help. He was really disappointed the way Spags played the coverage. 

All the above wouldn't have mattered if there weren't so many stupid (and some questionable) penalties.  The Chiefs killed themselves on offense, defense, and a special teams play.  Two huge drops reminded me of the early season failures.  Hope it was just a one game thing and they can play solid the rest of the way. 

The issue wasn't Spags. We played a lot of man with blitz.  You kind of have to do that. We better do it next time we see them. The problem is deep safety help was not there. If use watch Ward get worked for over 200 yards and you as a the deep safety, still don't go over to help him, that is a problem. That may have been why Thornhill was in the doghouse early in the season IMO. But in both there defenses, Chase was making some stupid good catches. Safety help or Ward turning his head either could have limited it.

5 minutes ago, DieHard said:

The issue wasn't Spags. We played a lot of man with blitz.  You kind of have to do that. We better do it next time we see them. The problem is deep safety help was not there. If use watch Ward get worked for over 200 yards and you as a the deep safety, still don't go over to help him, that is a problem. That may have been why Thornhill was in the doghouse early in the season IMO. But in both there defenses, Chase was making some stupid good catches. Safety help or Ward turning his head either could have limited it.

Borrow #s against a blitz is as effective as Mahomes. This is well documented so I am surprised KC did it so much. 

9 minutes ago, DieHard said:

Just to clarify here...

You are saying that Thornhill is the one who made the decision not to help his corners out? That what we saw was dictated not by the coverages/play calling but by a conscious decision by our safeties not to help on Chase?

2 minutes ago, Iluvhouse24 said:

Just to clarify here...

You are saying that Thornhill is the one who made the decision not to help his corners out? That what we saw was dictated not by the coverages/play calling but by a conscious decision by our safeties not to help on Chase?

I am saying you don't tell the deep safety which corner to help before the snap. Hell, you don't even know which WR is going deep before the snap. The player has to make the judgement call during the play. 

13 minutes ago, AFCWEST said:

Borrow #s against a blitz is as effective as Mahomes. This is well documented so I am surprised KC did it so much. 

We are much better with a lot of blitzing IMO. But I don't know. Maybe sitting back in zone would have been better. It just doesn't look pretty when we try. I really think our corners need the ball to come out quickly to have the best chance.