Morning after Bengals game

My biggest thing is the 3rd and 27. 

You live by the blitz and you die by the blitz....but there was no reason to blitz in that situation.  Even if we give up 15 its still 4th and 12 with a somewhat long FG.  We get the ball back with plenty of time to tie or win but Spags wanted to win the game right there and it backfired.  Burrow and Chase were on one of those levels where they could do no wrong at all.  We had good defense on some of those throws but they were just in a zone.  We have seen Hill/Kelce and Mahomes get in zones like that as well but most teams stop poking the bear and back off and let them get the short gains and make you beat them on long drives (sounds very familiar) but Spags dared them to keep doing it and it backfired. 

Like someone else posted the Hill game against the Bucs where he torched them and the Bucs learned from it and made adjustments which we all remember.  The Bengals remind me of us a couple years ago hitting the deep ball very well.  They also remind me of how bad our line was last year and how the Bucs got pressure with 4.  One would think we would go the same route if we play them again, but I don't see Chase and Burrow blowing up like that again but we do have Sorenson so anything is possible.

23 hours ago, DieHard said:

No, what I am saying is Chase could run a slant. I don’t want my deep safety committed to covering that. He has to make a decision based on the play. If Chars goes deep, I think I am going to help Ward with that.  

I'm not sure what you mean here.  The zero blitz dictated the go route on the outside by Chase because the corner was 1 on 1 with no help.  If we are sitting back in cover 2 or cover 3, Burrow isn't throwing the deep ball. 

I'm pretty sure the rationale behind Spags blitz was that he was hoping that we could get a sack and push them out of field goal range, a pretty lofty goal considering it hadn't worked like that all day.  Their interior line couldn't block our tackles. We should've had 7 back in coverage, rushing 4, force them to throw underneath, kick the FG and move on.  No, Spags tried to make his defense the hero.  We have a HALF BILLION DOLLAR QB.  I don't give a damn if your defense is the 85 Bears, that situational decision was one of the dumbest in NFL history.  Mahomes with 2 plus minutes and a couple time outs could get us in FG range with his eyes closed, and in all honesty would be more likely to lead a TD drive.  Officiating aside, the Chiefs did a god awful job of playing to their strengths in that game, and I trust our QB more than I'll ever trust our defense, regardless of a good stretch of games.  Spags was a dumbass that got out over his skis instead of just getting the ball back over to a 26 year old QB that already has a league mvp, super bowl mvp, and super bowl win.  

My rant isn't really directed at you, I'm still just sour af over that game.  The officiating was bad, but if Spags isn't a complete moron there, those calls don't happen, and our offense at least has a chance.  I'm not getting over this one any time soon. 

3 hours ago, moons314 said:

I'm not sure what you mean here.  The zero blitz dictated the go route on the outside by Chase because the corner was 1 on 1 with no help.  If we are sitting back in cover 2 or cover 3, Burrow isn't throwing the deep ball. 

I'm pretty sure the rationale behind Spags blitz was that he was hoping that we could get a sack and push them out of field goal range, a pretty lofty goal considering it hadn't worked like that all day.  Their interior line couldn't block our tackles. We should've had 7 back in coverage, rushing 4, force them to throw underneath, kick the FG and move on.  No, Spags tried to make his defense the hero.  We have a HALF BILLION DOLLAR QB.  I don't give a damn if your defense is the 85 Bears, that situational decision was one of the dumbest in NFL history.  Mahomes with 2 plus minutes and a couple time outs could get us in FG range with his eyes closed, and in all honesty would be more likely to lead a TD drive.  Officiating aside, the Chiefs did a god awful job of playing to their strengths in that game, and I trust our QB more than I'll ever trust our defense, regardless of a good stretch of games.  Spags was a dumbass that got out over his skis instead of just getting the ball back over to a 26 year old QB that already has a league mvp, super bowl mvp, and super bowl win.  

My rant isn't really directed at you, I'm still just sour af over that game.  The officiating was bad, but if Spags isn't a complete moron there, those calls don't happen, and our offense at least has a chance.  I'm not getting over this one any time soon. 

I agree. Simple situational football call that cost us a chance to win the game. 
even arm chair coaches like us would have called it right. 
It’s these type of things, maybe Reid to a extent in the beginning of the year on offense, that hurts us. 
This loss won’t hurt as much if we can make it to the big game.