My Thoughts on the Miami Game

Only talking about our guys.

Players of the game.

1. Kniles Davis - Did a great job filling in for Charles.

2. Alex Smith - Didn't like how he fumbled the bell, took the safety, and his TDs are mainly the credit to those who ran the catches in on good play calls, but just as Smith doesn't get credit when he leads them into the red zone and Charles runs it in, he should get credit for getting three TDs. It evens out.

3. McKnight (3a) and Kelce (3B) - good games by experience-wise new guys.

Worst:

1. O-Line.

2. Special teams: Allowing the big return(s), with only one good return. Bad decisions on fielding the ball.

3. Smith far from end-zone - fumble and safety.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Agree. To me, there are several messages. One is that it is obvious that Dorsey has quietly built quality depth, and Reid and his assistants have trained them well so far. Now they are getting incredibly valuable experience. At some point, when we get some stars back in the lineup, there will be the confidence to play with a little more abandon and not be terribly fearful of injury. That can increase the aggressiveness on offense and ignite an offense. But clearly the O-line is not good enough or experienced enough to get us many wins this season. Another, I still like Hemingway a lot. Alex smith is an enigma. He sometimes throws really beautiful balls and makes really smart, quick decisions. At other times, he throws shitty passes and makes stupid mistakes. He is at his best when he has real protection, and the protection is obviously not there now. It would take a grade A O-line to eventually win a championship with him at QB. I've been very impressed with most of the defense considering the absence of DJ and Berry, but no one seems capable of breaking on routes and holding onto what should be interceptions. Very disappointed with the special teams today. Bad penalties there, and the lack of experience is obvious. I thought they would be better. having Thomas back for kick returns will help. I really like Knile Davis and McKnight. I don't think Cyrus Gray is anything.

Can't wait to see what effect De'Anthony Thomas has when he gets back. It will be interesting to see how much better Smith can be protected when the defensive guys on the edge are having to look out for Jamaal Charles and when Charles is pass protecting. I think the protection will suddenly look twice as good, and Smith will find more running lanes for himself also.

Last is that we need to get the ball to Sherman more in short yardage situations.

I have to tip my hat to Andy Reid.  He committed to the running game and with authority.  He badly out-coached Joe Philbin, who looks like a candidate for unemployment.  I don't understand why he didn't stick with his running game, which, in spots was gashing the Chiefs.  Oh well, that's their problem.

I also felt KC could run those dump off routes to McKnight all day long.  MIA had no answer.

At spots the Chiefs looked brilliant, other times not so much.  The sacks were troublesome, but that was an A grade pass rush they faced.  The DB played well minus Berry too.  It was nice to see something out of Dee Ford.  

I don't know what to think right now.  Perhaps this is the gritty team that pushed DEN and not the bums who stank it up versus TEN.  

I have to tip my hat to Andy Reid.  He committed to the running game and with authority.  He badly out-coached Joe Philbin, who looks like a candidate for unemployment.  I don't understand why he didn't stick with his running game, which, in spots was gashing the Chiefs.  Oh well, that's their problem.

I also felt KC could run those dump off routes to McKnight all day long.  MIA had no answer.

At spots the Chiefs looked brilliant, other times not so much.  The sacks were troublesome, but that was an A grade pass rush they faced.  The DB played well minus Berry too.  It was nice to see something out of Dee Ford.  

I don't know what to think right now.  Perhaps this is the gritty team that pushed DEN and not the bums who stank it up versus TEN.

Mongo, the latest homer. Welcome to the fold :lol:

Only talking about our guys.

Players of the game.

1. Kniles Davis - Did a great job filling in for Charles.

2. Alex Smith - Didn't like how he fumbled the bell, took the safety, and his TDs are mainly the credit to those who ran the catches in on good play calls, but just as Smith doesn't get credit when he leads them into the red zone and Charles runs it in, he should get credit for getting three TDs. It evens out.

3. McKnight (3a) and Kelce (3B) - good games by experience-wise new guys.

Worst:

1. O-Line.

2. Special teams: Allowing the big return(s), with only one good return. Bad decisions on fielding the ball.

3. Smith far from end-zone - fumble and safety.

Davis is a stud. He's not filling in for anyone. When Charles comes back things should be a little different.

This team looks fine if not better without berry and DJ. I'm not saying they are. Huge props to Abdullah for simply not getting beat deep. Not once this year. The front 7 is vicious and we are building a sick rotation. We need a WR and we would be very good. The OLINE needs serious attention.

This team looks fine if not better without berry and DJ. I'm not saying they are. Huge props to Abdullah for simply not getting beat deep. Not once this year. The front 7 is vicious and we are building a sick rotation. We need a WR and we would be very good. The OLINE needs serious attention.

I've been a Bowe fan for a long time, but I have to face the music. He really doesn't get good separation any more and doesn't even have the sticky hands he once did. We need to draft a top receiver. In the meantime, Hemingway in the slot and the tight ends and RB's can provide the passing game we need, especially if DThomas comes back with his speed. I'm not impressed with Avery. To really have a big WR passing game, our O-line needs another year of experience and a body or two. It really looked terrible for a lot of this game. What was it? Six sacks? Seven? Even Davis' yards came on a few big carries. Most of the time he was stopped for fewer yards than Charles gets when he is stopped.

Davis is a stud. He's not filling in for anyone. When Charles comes back things should be a little different.

I don't see anything special from him.  He does a bunch of things well.  He had a terrific game today, but his opponent couldn't tackle worth a damn.  He is what he is, a fine backup.  If Charles were to leave the Chiefs would need another starting RB.

I don't see anything special from him.  He does a bunch of things well.  He had a terrific game today, but his opponent couldn't tackle worth a damn.  He is what he is, a fine backup.  If Charles were to leave the Chiefs would need another starting RB.

I have no idea if he, or anyone, could have Charles' unique skill set of vision, speed, pass blocking, receiving, changing direction, and finding small cracks or seams to fall through for an extra 2 yards every time he goes down. They are different people. But with Davis, I see brute strength, size, good speed, good receiving skills, a decent wiggle for making people miss, and especially endurance. He wears people out. He has already shown that he can learn to hold onto the ball, which is an acquired skill. So, is pass blocking or protection. Vision is also a thing that improves with experience. So, in another year or two, I can see him as a solid starting RB for any really good team. One of the things I like about him a lot is the way he naturally moves his legs constantly up and down like big pistons after people have closed on him. That makes it harder to grab his legs and bring him down instantly. He seems to be able to churn his way for an extra yard or two after being stopped mostly because of that. Learning to use his arms to deflect or push away a tackler for a fraction of a second is also a learned skill. I can only hope he is smart, but the way he has learned to hold onto the ball and receive passes from his rookie year to this one tells me that he is probably smart and, therefore, quite teachable, which means he will keep getting better. If he had a redwood forest blocking in front of him, I think he has potential to be considered one of the best. We'll see. We are very lucky. Hopefully he has great character and is not aggressive to people off the field. That is something we have all learned is as important as anything for a player an entire team depends on week in and week out.

I don't see anything special from him. He does a bunch of things well. He had a terrific game today, but his opponent couldn't tackle worth a damn. He is what he is, a fine backup. If Charles were to leave the Chiefs would need another starting RB.

Disagree. He's fast and strong. He can carry the load. He would be a fine starter. Whenever he's been called upon he's been great.

I think if he is smart...Andy Reid will figure out a way to use all of his backs. Charles and Davis are two totally different types of runners. Charles is elite. Anyone think different is not paying attention. Davis needs to keep developing the power side of his game. He has size and realized yesterday he doesn't have to fall down just because somebody stuck their arm out. McKnight really surprised me and has his own skill set. With our sucky WR group...having a lot of good backs and TEs might be enough to save us in the interim.

I think if he is smart...Andy Reid will figure out a way to use all of his backs. Charles and Davis are two totally different types of runners. Charles is elite. Anyone think different is not paying attention. Davis needs to keep developing the power side of his game. He has size and realized yesterday he doesn't have to fall down just because somebody stuck their arm out. McKnight really surprised me and has his own skill set. With our sucky WR group...having a lot of good backs and TEs might be enough to save us in the interim.

Yep.

Knile Davis grades out as the worst RB on PFF thus far.  His YPC is mediocre.  Some of that comes with a poor O-line.  But then the great ones produce in spite of a bad OL.  That's just stats.  

I don't think you can point out one attribute key to a RB where he ranks top 5.  Therefore he is not a "stud"  

Knile Davis would not start on most teams.  He's okay as a backup.  

Why can't you be satisfied with that?  It's a good thing.  Why is "okay backup" or "average" insulting?  

Not every Chief is an All-Pro.

Knile Davis grades out as the worst RB on PFF thus far. His YPC is mediocre. Some of that comes with a poor O-line. But then the grade ones produce in spite of a bad OL. That's just stats.

I don't think you can point out one attribute key to a RB where he ranks top 5. Therefore he is not a "stud"

Knile Davis would not start on most teams. He's okay as a backup.

Why can't you be satisfied with that? It's a good thing. Why is "okay backup" or "average" insulting?

Not every Chief is an All-Pro.

We won. He was key. Great day for KC. We have great depth at the position.

I love all these comments! Sometimes, though, I wish that more people would see possiblities, potentials, scenarios, instead of just "what did someone do last Sunday?" without any consideration of how young or old they are, who were the supporting cast, etc. I think its wise to always try to look at a bigger picture. What are they capable of doing? What will they be like 2-3 years from now? What type of game and personnel can be constucted around them? How would their ability set work in a slightly different kind of system?

Looking at those things, I'd say Knile Davis can be a standout starting running back eventually, either for us or for some other team that has the will and imagination to use his skills optimally. I am extremely happy we have him. He is plain valuable.

Potential gets coaches fired.  Players need to produce -- quickly.  Kniles has produced -- in his role as a backup.

I wish I could look at every young player and fantasize about what might be.  I know what I see now.  I know that on average an NFL career is 3-5 years.  This means most players are not good enough.  They come and go as filler on the 53 man roster.  Jessie Haynes comes today, tomorrow he's gone and Greg Hill takes his place.  Next day he's gone too.  In 5 years we will not remember Frankie Hammond, Albert Wilson or Junior Hemmingway.  They'll be out of the league.

I don't see much potential for growth in Kniles.  Basically, RB come in the NFL as is.  Sure, they learn pass protection and some nuances.  Few "develop" into great RB.  You either are or you aren't.  Knile Davis is not.

He's a fine backup and I'm glad we have him, too. 

How many elite backs ran for 132yds today! Davis is a stud and is only going to get better along as his fumble problems don't comeback! Some of you are so pessimistic on here I don't know why your Chiefs fans go follow horseface ver 2 in Denver if that's how you feel!!

How many elite backs ran for 132yds today! Davis is a stud and is only going to get better along as his fumble problems don't comeback! Some of you are so pessimistic on here I don't know why your Chiefs fans go follow horseface ver 2 in Denver if that's how you feel!!

How is calling someone a fine backup pessimistic?  Can you name 12 RB better than Knile Davis?  Can you name 20?  If so, he is not a stud.  And there's nothing wrong with that. 

I'm not pessimistic, you are simply part of this liberal tee-ball culture where everyone needs to be treated as though they are special and gets a trophy.  Not everyone deserves a trophy.

Please explain

People in the front office, the coaches, scouts, and GM, draft on the basis of potential. They are HIRED to do this. It is based on POTENTIAL, not current prowess. Sometimes they are wrong. The more they are right, the more likely they are likely to be retained or hired by a team. I hope that clarifies it. Once again, thinking that coaches are only fired, not hired, on the basis of evaluating current potential, is simple-minded tunnel vision. The greatest teams of all times happened because front offices, including coaches, could project what they could see in a prospect into future performance in their systems. They had good peripheral vision. Knile Davis was drafted in the high rounds because they saw that potential. And they were right.

If Reid had decided that Davis' fumbling last year was representative of his ability rather than projecting his actual potential, he would have traded him to another team for someone of lesser value. And a coach who does that should be fired. Some people on this forum see the potential of Davis continuing to develop into a top starting RB in this league, not just a good backup. I see that. We could be wrong, but we don't think so.

Archived