My Thoughts on the Miami Game

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Knile Davis grades out as the worst RB on PFF thus far.  His YPC is mediocre.  Some of that comes with a poor O-line.  But then the great ones produce in spite of a bad OL.  That's just stats.  

I don't think you can point out one attribute key to a RB where he ranks top 5.  Therefore he is not a "stud"  

Knile Davis would not start on most teams.  He's okay as a backup.  

Why can't you be satisfied with that?  It's a good thing.  Why is "okay backup" or "average" insulting?  

Not every Chief is an All-Pro.

PFF also said Jamaal Charles wasn't a top 100 player in 2012

They also graded the Chiefs Offense a -13 for the game and the Dolphins defense a +5

They also graded Brandon Albert(1 sack, multiple hits and pressures, 1 false start) higher than Eric Fisher(0 sacks, 0 hits/pressure, 0 false starts) 

needless to safe PFF is a joke 

They also graded the Chiefs Offense a -13 for the game and the Dolphins defense a +5

They also graded Brandon Albert(1 sack, multiple times hits and pressures, 1 false start) higher than Eric Fisher(0 sacks, 0 hits/pressure, 0 false starts)

:lol: Thanks CW!

the wideouts on this team are pure garbage..

the reason smith passes so little downfield is there is never seperation..sometimes bowe will fight for the ball and he is the ONLY one..

avery falls down as much as jenkins..hemmingway looks kinda good because of the muck he is compared to...

the o-line has some players and each week Fischer gets better..he shut cameron wake down yesterday and that guy is a stud...

still they are not capable of plying with the big boys..dread the 49er game..

the wideouts on this team are pure garbage..

the reason smith passes so little downfield is there is never seperation..sometimes bowe will fight for the ball and he is the ONLY one..

avery falls down as much as jenkins..hemmingway looks kinda good because of the muck he is compared to...

the o-line has some players and each week Fischer gets better..he shut cameron wake down yesterday and that guy is a stud...

still they are not capable of plying with the big boys..dread the 49er game..

Good thing they are without Aldon Smith. Feel

Bad for Bowman, but glad we are not facing him (wish he was out to see his child born not injury). Off chance that Ray MacDonald is disciplined. Off chance. The Niners aren't playing as well in the second half so we need to weather the storm, adjust, play 4 quarters. They had Chicago beat and were good enough to beat Arizona.

I have the Niners game as a loss, but not as scared of them in the sense of dreading. I just hope Smith stays healthy and we compete. No Harbaughesque save and unleash on Smith that I expect.

I love all these comments! Sometimes, though, I wish that more people would see possiblities, potentials, scenarios, instead of just "what did someone do last Sunday?" without any consideration of how young or old they are, who were the supporting cast, etc. I think its wise to always try to look at a bigger picture. What are they capable of doing? What will they be like 2-3 years from now? What type of game and personnel can be constucted around them? How would their ability set work in a slightly different kind of system?

Looking at those things, I'd say Knile Davis can be a standout starting running back eventually, either for us or for some other team that has the will and imagination to use his skills optimally. I am extremely happy we have him. He is plain valuable.

We have weapons in the backfield

RBs don't develop over time? Tell that to Charles who was a backup his first couple seasons. Marshawn Lynch was approaching bust status until he was traded to Seattle. Sure there are guys who come in and play at a high level immediately, but a good number don't really blossom until year 3.

People in the front office, the coaches, scouts, and GM, draft on the basis of potential. They are HIRED to do this. It is based on POTENTIAL, not current prowess. Sometimes they are wrong. The more they are right, the more likely they are likely to be retained or hired by a team. I hope that clarifies it. Once again, thinking that coaches are only fired, not hired, on the basis of evaluating current potential, is simple-minded tunnel vision. The greatest teams of all times happened because front offices, including coaches, could project what they could see in a prospect into future performance in their systems. They had good peripheral vision. Knile Davis was drafted in the high rounds because they saw that potential. And they were right.

You misunderstand my point, because it is exactly the same as yours.  [unrealized] potential gets coaches fired.  As for my "tunnel vision", Captain Pompous, my quote is a common axiom in sports.  See below.  Quit worrying about my mindset.   

Potential is what gets coaches fired.  -- Roy Williams, NCAA hoops coach.

Darrell Royal, when an assistant coach said argued against benching a talented but inconsistent quarterback because he had so much potential: “Potential means you ain’t done it yet.”

Pittsburgh Penguins coach Kevin Constantine, when asked if his team had potential: “Potential is synonymous with getting your ass kicked.”

Let PFF continue to rate our players low. It won't make a difference anyway. Knile Davis is a very good backup, and would be a starter on many teams. He is as fast as Charles, which is something that escaped Gannon. Davis ran a 4.37  in the 40. He doesn't cut as sharp as Charles, but who does? Charles is a potential Hall of Fame candidate if he can get healthy, and play to his norm for another three seasons. There aren't many that currently compare to Charles over an entire career. So, no Knile Davis is not Jamaal Charles. 

It is important to remember Knile Davis was one of the best running backs in college before the series of injuries that diminished his career at Arkansas. He does need to hang onto the ball better. He has learned to run through arm tackles. He runs with better authority than he did coming out of college. Part of the problem was blocking. The Chiefs' offensive line did not provide Jamaal Charles room to operate before he was injured. They did nothing special for Knile. Other than Fisher, and Hudson, the line is a mess. Also, Reid was rather unimaginative in play calling. However, some of those runs beat down the will of Miami's defensive line. Those tough two and three yard runs had an affect on their morale, and resulted in some of the bigger plays as Miami over committed to stop the run.

Knile Davis may improve but it would be totally unfair to compare him to Charles. He's good, and the Chiefs did well in finding him in the third round. 

RBs don't develop over time? Tell that to Charles who was a backup his first couple seasons. Marshawn Lynch was approaching bust status until he was traded to Seattle. Sure there are guys who come in and play at a high level immediately, but a good number don't really blossom until year 3.

Charles was drafted as a change of pace back and sat behind LJ.  Opportunity limited Charlie not expertise.  

Lynch's early career was plagued by injuries and personal issues, not the lack of potiential.  He rushed for over 100 yards his first two seasons.

You sight two poor examples.  How many counter examples of all time great RB "studs" can you name that made an immediate impact?  

Cleveland -- Ben Tate is better

NYJ -- Chris Johnson is better

OAK  -  MJD is slipping, but is better.

SAN DIEGO -- maybe, only because Ryan Mathews can't stay healthy

NEW ENGLAND -- Shane Vereen is better

ST LOUIS -- Zac Stacy is better

DENVER -- Montee Ball is better

DETROIT -- Both Reggie Bush and Joique Bell are better.

just to name a few

Nice try.  He's a fine backup

They also graded Brandon Albert(1 sack, multiple hits and pressures, 1 false start) higher than Eric Fisher(0 sacks, 0 hits/pressure, 0 false starts) 

And what of Davis' underwhelming 3.9 yards per carry?  Or that he ranks 43 in yards after contact per carry.  He doesn't break tackles all that well. 

You can scoff at rankings all you want.  I don't need stats.  I see it with my own eyes.  Explain to me what makes Knile Davis so special?  Please tell me.  

He's a fine backup.

Charles was drafted as a change of pace back and sat behind LJ. Opportunity limited Charlie not expertise.

Lynch's early career was plagued by injuries and personal issues, not the lack of potiential. He rushed for over 100 yards his first two seasons.

You sight two poor examples. How many counter examples of all time great RB "studs" can you name that made an immediate impact?

Priest Holmes was picked up to be a third down change of pace back. Guys do get better. It happens. Geez dude, get over yourself.

In your opinion.

Chris Davis is done

Ben Tate is a career back up who's injured more than not.

You aren't always right mongo

I am about this.  

Marshawn Lynch

Jamaal Charles

DeMarco Murray

C.J. Spiller

Le'Veon Bell

Reggie Bush

Giovanni Bernard

Adrian Peterson

Darren Sproles

Frank Gore

Arian Foster

Eddie Lacy

Matt Forte

Alfred Morris

LeSean McCoy

Doug Martin

Zac Stacy

Andre Ellington

That's 18 RB better than Knile.  Then there's a whole group of other backs you can argue.

Knile is not a stud.  Knile has a career YPC of 3.6.  Knile is a fine backup.  Next!

I am about this.

Marshawn Lynch

Jamaal Charles

DeMarco Murray

C.J. Spiller

Le'Veon Bell

Reggie Bush

Giovanni Bernard

Adrian Peterson

Darren Sproles

Frank Gore

Arian Foster

Eddie Lacy

Matt Forte

Alfred Morris

LeSean McCoy

Doug Martin

Zac Stacy

Andre Ellington

That's 18 RB better than Knile. Then there's a whole group of other backs you can argue.

Knile is not a stud. Knile has a career YPC of 3.6. Knile is a fine backup. Next!

Gore is at the end of his rope and may have about 3.6 ypc this year

Foster is a paper bag. Bell has done nothing more than a few good games. I get your point. Of

Course there are better running back. But Davis could start more than a few places.

Next.

Archived