Arian Foster

Eddie Lacy

Matt Forte

Alfred Morris

LeSean McCoy

Doug Martin

Zac Stacy

Andre Ellington

That's 18 RB better than Knile. Then there's a whole group of other backs you can argue.

Knile is not a stud. Knile has a career YPC of 3.6. Knile is a fine backup. Next!

How many of those 18 ran for over 130yds yesterday? He was a stud yesterday and would start on at least 15 other teams, he's not an all out top 10 back yet but he's better than most of the starters in the league! He's also our RBOTF!!

How many of those 18 ran for over 130yds yesterday? He was a stud yesterday and would start on at least 15 other teams, he's not an all out top 10 back yet but he's better than most of the starters in the league! He's also our RBOTF!!

Definitely rbotf

And what of Davis' underwhelming 3.9 yards per carry?  Or that he ranks 43 in yards after contact per carry.  He doesn't break tackles all that well. 

You can scoff at rankings all you want.  I don't need stats.  I see it with my own eyes.  Explain to me what makes Knile Davis so special?  Please tell me.  

He's a fine backup.

Wasn't saying anything about Knile, just pointing out PFF is a joke, their ratings are one of the last things people should go by to determine how good or bad a player is.

RBs don't develop over time? Tell that to Charles who was a backup his first couple seasons.

I could tell immediately that Charles was something special, and was calling for him to have a Hall of Fame career well before his rookie contract was up. JC didn't "develop over time" to become an absolute freak of nature - that's whatcha call innate talent, a gift from the football gods. #25's position on the depth chart in his early professional career was based on coach factors (favoritism for LJ, overemphasis on the fumbles which are more than compensated for by the home run threat, and unfounded concerns about durability) rather than Jamaal's readiness for the role. Sure, he had a bit of a learning curve for pass protection and ball security, but Jamaal Charles' fundamental potential for greatness was readily apparent from day 1 for anyone with the eyes to see it.

Knile Davis is not in Charles' league. He is, as mongo stated, a quality backup, and we're fortunate to have him on the roster. You can win some games with Knile - you can never expect him to carry the entire offense over the course a season the way Charles has done, though. That's no knock, since JC is arguably one of the ten best to ever play the game.

Wasn't saying anything about Knile, just pointing out PFF is a joke, their ratings are one of the last things people should go by to determine how good or bad a player is.

Any stat has anomalies, but it isn't subjective.  All players are measured by the same criteria.  It's left to one to interpret the meaning and relevance of the stat.  In the case of PFF's rating on Knile Davis, I don't agree that he's the 52nd best back, no more than I would that Lesean McCoy, Eddie Lacy or some others scoring poorly are.  There are guys scoring highly that I would prefer Knile to.

I do look at his YPC as a key indicator and it is poor.  As I said it's a by-product of a poor line, but the great ones, the "studs", can achieve in spite of a bad line.  See Jamaal Charles, Barry Sanders.

Most importantly, I've watched football for 40 years and I've seen several "stud" RB.  From Walter Payton to Adrian Peterson. Nothing I've seen from him reminds me of any of them.  Nothing he has shown has even indicates he has that potiential.

He's a fine backup.

Any stat has anomalies, but it isn't subjective. All players are measured by the same criteria. It's left to one to interpret the meaning and relevance of the stat. In the case of PFF's rating on Knile Davis, I don't agree that he's the 52nd best back, no more than I would that Lesean McCoy, Eddie Lacy or some others scoring poorly are. There are guys scoring highly that I would prefer Knile to.

I do look at his YPC as a key indicator and it is poor. As I said it's a by-product of a poor line, but the great ones, the "studs", can achieve in spite of a bad line. See Jamaal Charles, Barry Sanders.

Most importantly, I've watched football for 40 years and I've seen several "stud" RB. From Walter Payton to Adrian Peterson. Nothing I've seen from him reminds me of any of them. Nothing he has shown has even indicates he has that potiential.

He's a fine backup.

Although I share in your realistic pessimism the majority of the time, I'm beginning to wonder what would actually make you happy?

Although I share in your realistic pessimism the majority of the time, I'm beginning to wonder what would actually make you happy?

There's nothing "pessimistic" about what I've said.  Knile Davis is a fine backup.  I'm happy as a clam.

Ask the others who can't seem to accept that he isn't the next Eric Dickerson what their issue is.

There's nothing "pessimistic" about what I've said. Knile Davis is a fine backup. I'm happy as a clam.

Ask the others who can't seem to accept that he isn't the next Eric Dickerson what their issue is.

I think given the opportunity Knile might be a dynamic starter.

With an O-line like we had with LJ, I think he could do as well as LJ did. He has the size and speed.

He MUST solve his fumbling problems though. I read that he's is one of three rb's in the league so far with three fumbles this season.

I told you guys this year was going to be fascinating. We are the third youngest team in the NFL, and these young dudes are getting a lot of experience. The future is bright. We are going to lose a lot of games this year, but the toughness and the talent are developing before our eyes. I refuse in coming weeks to get too down when we stink the place up. Which we will.

Archived