Time to play off-season GM

I know its early but why not.   Who stays.  Who goes.   Can Mahomes salary be converted again to create more cap space?

My predictions

Clark post june 1 cut.  Hitchens cut.  

Pringle, Williams, Brown, Gore, Bell, Fortson, Remmers and Wylie are all brought back on offense.

Watts, Hughes, Ingram on a one year deal back on defense.     They will probably bring Honey Badger back too, but with other top safeties available in FA, I don't think he will get the huge contract he's looking for.  

I think they look for a big ticket WR or a pass rusher in free agency or a safety if they can't iron a contract out with Honey Badger.   Probably bring in some LB depth or DB depth as well.   That will allow for BPA in the draft, but pass rush and CB will be area's of need.  

I think Mahomes is let go in a cap cutting move. We then trade 3 firsts for Russell Wilson and extend him through 2030 on a heavily backloaded deal freeing up enough cap space to sign multiple tier 1 free agents this off-season. 

Subsequently we change our team name to the KC Granola People to appease me and the rest of the liberal masses. Arrowhead is replaced with " Pfizer Field at Build Back Better Stadium" which has a retractable dome roof and a statue of Biden out front.

Rebranded. Loaded for bear.

6 minutes ago, Iluvhouse24 said:

I think Mahomes is let go in a cap cutting move. We then trade 3 firsts for Russell Wilson and extend him through 2030 on a heavily backloaded deal freeing up enough cap space to sign multiple tier 1 free agents this off-season. 

Subsequently we change our team name to the KC Granola People to appease me and the rest of the liberal masses. Arrowhead is replaced with " Pfizer Field at Build Back Better Stadium" which has a retractable dome roof and a statue of Biden out front.

Rebranded. Loaded for bear.

altho funny IMO that last  paragraph  is walking the line for Locker Room material..lets keep this CTO please.

49 minutes ago, xen said:

Defensive end and retooling the receivers should be top priority.  Pass rush and Pass game drive this team.  

Is Ingram brought back? Clark being cut a foregone conclusion? Go after a younger more inexpensive guy with some upside like Lorenzo Carter or Dorance Armstrong? Make a run at Ogbah? Elaborate will ya...

40 minutes ago, Iluvhouse24 said:

Is Ingram brought back? Clark being cut a foregone conclusion? Go after a younger more inexpensive guy with some upside like Lorenzo Carter or Dorance Armstrong? Make a run at Ogbah? Elaborate will ya...

I personally would love to bring Ingram back but the price has to be right.  I am not sure about Clark.  I think they may try and renegotiate before resorting to cutting him.  If you can get his salary in reasonable range you can build an end room around him and Ingram.  The biggest problem with Clark is he's been playing hurt so long it's hard for people to remember he's a really good end.  The bigger problem is he's a really good D-end with a great D-end contract.

Ultimately I think they'll have to find some help in the draft unless they cut Clark.  

Right now we're looking at just over 29 mil in cap space as things stand, including the rollover from this year's cap.

A few moves, notably a Clark restructure/extension/cut and resigning Tyreek to lower his 20m hit would create tons more space.  Clark as a post June 1 cut creates almost 20m in room and you could lower Tyreeks hit from 20 to as low as a few mil depending on the structure.  That's an easy way to get to 50-70 mil under the cap.  

The following lists are order of priority for the offseason as I think the team will see it

Must do list:

Gotta get an X that can excel vs man and zone and compliment Tyreek.

Gotta secure that third pass rusher, whether it's Ingram or someone else.  If u cut Clark that's a total rebuild of the end room and this moves to priority 1.

Gotta resign HB or find a new safety. 

Figure out the corner room.

Secondary needs list:

3rd Safety (sorry Dirty Dan haters, I did say this is prioritized as I think the team will see it)

3rd LB

Figure out RT

Jarran Reed resign or figure out if your young tackles are close enough.  Reed would have to be fairly cheap.

Things everyone thinks we'll do that I'm not so sure we'll do:

Cut Clark

Cut Hitch

Just not convinced yet we'll do both.  I think it legitimately depends on what they see in free agency on Clark and how they feel about Bolton calling plays.  Fans don't care but making adjustments is a HUGE deal and Hitch and HB are the ones that make the adjustments.

Not re-sign HB

This one's tough.  We know they WANT to re-sign him.  Just comes down to $$$ and we're obviously too far apart there.  I do think they'll make every effort.  There's a lot of things HB does that does not show up on the stat sheet, same with Clark and Ingram, and finding that kind of high level versatility in a safety is extremely difficult.  Those guys dont typically hit free agency.

Hitchens can walk and draft another guy to develop. Bolton and Gay need to take over.

Clark is simply too much money and may still go to jail. Move along.

HB was part of the dumb Madden 99 club. He is okay, but not a game changer or worthy of that. He probably wants game changer money. You keep him if doesn’t.

The rest of the roster is largely minutiae.

2 minutes ago, Thegoatee said:

Hitchens can walk and draft another guy to develop. Bolton and Gay need to take over.

Clark is simply too much money and may still go to jail. Move along.

HB was part of the dumb Madden 99 club. He is okay, but not a game changer or worthy of that. He probably wants game changer money. You keep him if doesn’t.

The rest of the roster is largely minutiae.

lol after dumping Clark I would not call having no defensive end room to speak of minutiae.

Nor would I call having a huge hole at safety minutiae, especially with how they use HB.  Those are not easy guys to replace.  Not saying we can't do it but it's not easy to find.

19 minutes ago, xen said:

lol after dumping Clark I would not call having no defensive end room to speak of minutiae.

Nor would I call having a huge hole at safety minutiae, especially with how they use HB.  Those are not easy guys to replace.  Not saying we can't do it but it's not easy to find.

I am more calling the rest of the 22 free agents minutiae. Those are the big three to address.

DE is deep this draft. Cut cark, Hitchens and only resign HB if price is right. If not, tag him for a year if anything and see his play for the year. 3 year max deal for him though. Ingram resigned or at least a DE in FA. Go after a #2 WR type with money saved from cuts above.

Sign the players we need for depth like Gore, Williams, Pringle etc. Rest we pick up in udfa and draft. Draft should be used for WR, DE, CB 3rd LB and other depth needs.

1 hour ago, xen said:

I see they can free up close to 10 mill by restructuring Clark with no real cap ramifications. But they'd still be spending 16 mill in cap money for a guy that's amassed less than 11 sacks the last 2 yrs. I agree he is outstanding against the run, but that seems like bad business.

So many FAs. It will really tough to field a D. I have faith in HB, but we need another good safety. I would put Thornhill in Dan’s spot and draft a free safety high. Dan can walk or get #4 safety money. He is better than Watts but that ain’t saying much. And a DE. Clark and Hitch can walk but I think we need to resign Ingram. I would rather keep Reed than Nnadi although I like Nnadi. I think Ward will be too much but maybe. I think he gets overpaid.

I think we have learned that CEH and Saunders are good, but too injury prone to be starters. 

2 hours ago, AFCWEST said:

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/kansas-city-chiefs/

Chiefs have 26 UFA. 26. Includes Nadi and Ward in addition to HB and others. 

The vast majority of those are special teams/depth guys.  

Guys I think we resign:

Blake Bell

Darrel Williams

Derrick Nnadi

Michael Burton

Byron Pringle

Chad Henne (he's probably on a year by year deal moving forward, he's got the best job in America)

Mike Hughes

Ben Niemann 

Josh Gordon (comes cheap, gets a full offseason, and is needed depth anyway after letting Robinson & Kemp walk)

Andrew Wylie

Orlando Brown

Fortson

Notables we don't resign:

Demarcus Robinson

Matthieu

Ward

Remmers

Sorenson

O'Daniel

Can go either way:

Melvin Ingram (if he doesn't want stupid money, I do want this guy back)

Watts (I think we let Sorenson and Matthieu go, so while I wouldn't normally say Watts would be a resign in this situation, but already letting 2 safeties go, he might be brought back just because he's cheap and knows the system)

Any FAs I didn't list I'd expect to be released. 

Cut:

Frank Clark

Hitchens

4 hours ago, xen said:

Defensive end and retooling the receivers should be top priority.  Pass rush and Pass game drive this team.  

Hope we stop giving out big contracts to positions that don’t warrant big contracts.  I agree DE and WR should be top priority.   Pass rush from the front 4 is key.   Curious what they do with Frank.  Cutting him makes a lot of sense but leaves us with no legit option.   I like Melvin a lot but we need someone better for the long term.  

1 hour ago, Lamardirts said:

Hope we stop giving out big contracts to positions that don’t warrant big contracts.  I agree DE and WR should be top priority.   Pass rush from the front 4 is key.   Curious what they do with Frank.  Cutting him makes a lot of sense but leaves us with no legit option.   I like Melvin a lot but we need someone better for the long term.  

Is Clark a legit option? I think you can get four vets at his current contract and generate a dozen sacks in two years.

1 hour ago, Thegoatee said:

Is Clark a legit option? I think you can get four vets at his current contract and generate a dozen sacks in two years.

I wouldn’t mind seeing Clark gone and bring in someone else. I’m sure Obgah would be cheaper and performance wise same or better. 

53 minutes ago, Holmes4six! said:

I wouldn’t mind seeing Clark gone and bring in someone else. I’m sure Obgah would be cheaper and performance wise same or better. 

Not sure Ogbah will be that cheap.  There's also the possibility that Clark can be negotiated downward a bunch.  His value to other teams isn't that high. 

2 hours ago, Thegoatee said:

If you could get him to 11 million that would be close to what we would be throwing away by cutting him and while he’s lost a step in the rush game he is still above avg vs the run.   Frank Clark would be a great 3rd option.   He also looks better this year when it’s reported he’s been healthier.  

6 hours ago, jetlord said:

Not sure Ogbah will be that cheap.  There's also the possibility that Clark can be negotiated downward a bunch.  His value to other teams isn't that high. 

Not sure about the market but after a solid performance in KC followed by two solid seasons in Miami there's a good chance that Ogbah will be looking for as much as he can get in his only major contract. I would be fine with something over 3-4 years that averages no more than 10 million but definitely skeptical to go over that. 

14 hours ago, AFCWEST said:

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/kansas-city-chiefs/

Chiefs have 26 UFA. 26. Includes Nadi and Ward in addition to HB and others. 

I would look to keep Ingram, Ward, Pringle, D Williams, Long, Burton, Nnadi, Gore, Watts. Don't want to give a big contract to them but I'm not sure if any of them would ask for it. Don't care about guys like Henne, Blythe, McKinnon, Bell, Reed, etc.

HB and Brown are all about economics. I wouldn't pay top money to either so they should only stay for the right amount IMO. That's a bit tricky as HB will be 30 this year so will look for as much money as he can and Brown simply left Baltimore to maximize his market value. 

We should be staying away from Niemann, Dirty Dan, Robinson, Okafor, Hughes, but I suspect Robinson will somehow be back again. 

2 hours ago, Iluvhouse24 said:

Anyone who thinks Brown isn't gonna be here long term and be paid accordingly is fooling themselves. There is zero question about whether he will be our LT going forward, nor should there be. The only question is if they franchise him or work out a long term deal this offseason.

The fact that there's fans here that would still be willing to let LT become a question mark again due to some early season struggles he had, is insane to me. The dude is a stud.

i stay away from comments about Brown Because what would be the point in getting into an argument. They did not get him for a 1 year rental and give up picks to do it ....