Time to play off-season GM

Needs:  DE, CB, WR, S, LB.  That doesn't mean the Chiefs should draft in that order, it depends on how the board falls and who is resigned or FAs.  The Chiefs need some fast to play with Thornhill and to replace Sorenson nearer the line.  They need a cover LB who plays third downs.  They need a big, possession receiver and dump Robinson.  They have little under contract at CB and I"m not convinced that Ward is the solution.  Most of all, they need a top DE.  We don't know what Kaindoh can do.  Dana has limited upside.  Lots of work to do at DE.  

51 minutes ago, jetlord said:

Needs:  DE, CB, WR, S, LB.  That doesn't mean the Chiefs should draft in that order, it depends on how the board falls and who is resigned or FAs.  The Chiefs need some fast to play with Thornhill and to replace Sorenson nearer the line.  They need a cover LB who plays third downs.  They need a big, possession receiver and dump Robinson.  They have little under contract at CB and I"m not convinced that Ward is the solution.  Most of all, they need a top DE.  We don't know what Kaindoh can do.  Dana has limited upside.  Lots of work to do at DE.  

Agree on Ward at cb. He flashes elite cb a game or two each season, but has a lot of sub par games as well. I would probably offer him a 2 or 3 year deal at around 4.5 mil a year, fully expecting him to turn it down and get 8-10 a year from some desperate team with lots of cap space. But if he accepts the deal you get a decent young cb for cheap

9 minutes ago, CranjisMcbasketball said:

Agree on Ward at cb. He flashes elite cb a game or two each season, but has a lot of sub par games as well. I would probably offer him a 2 or 3 year deal at around 4.5 mil a year, fully expecting him to turn it down and get 8-10 a year from some desperate team with lots of cap space. But if he accepts the deal you get a decent young cb for cheap

I might disagree a little on Ward.  He usually draws the best player on the opposing team, and he's actully been turning his head this year.  I don't put the Bengals game on him, Chase is awesome, and Spags gave him no help!  Not sure anyone in the league could cover Chase one on one the whole game and not get lit up!

12 minutes ago, Spfdchiefsfan said:

I might disagree a little on Ward.  He usually draws the best player on the opposing team, and he's actully been turning his head this year.  I don't put the Bengals game on him, Chase is awesome, and Spags gave him no help!  Not sure anyone in the league could cover Chase one on one the whole game and not get lit up!

I agree on that, chase is not coverable with todays nfl rules, that was on spags.

but chiefs never go crazy on corner, and rightfully so, they are the rb type position of the defense, corners fall off after a year or two of being elite.

it wasn’t long ago the entire board demanded we pay bashaud breelund 10 mil a year because we “can’t lose this guy”

i said at the time the dude won’t get a deal in free agecy, and what do you know, he has played on vet minimum 2 years in a row and is now most likely done in the nfl

16 minutes ago, CranjisMcbasketball said:

I agree on that, chase is not coverable with todays nfl rules, that was on spags.

but chiefs never go crazy on corner, and rightfully so, they are the rb type position of the defense, corners fall off after a year or two of being elite.

it wasn’t long ago the entire board demanded we pay bashaud breelund 10 mil a year because we “can’t lose this guy”

i said at the time the dude won’t get a deal in free agecy, and what do you know, he has played on vet minimum 2 years in a row and is now most likely done in the nfl

how is on Spags if by NFL rules Chase in uncoverable

WTF ? the entire board?? Chris Rock Reaction GIF

40 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

how is on Spags if by NFL rules Chase in uncoverable

WTF ? the entire board?? Chris Rock Reaction GIF

SMH!  He meant that the rules favor the reciever, which they do, and the lack of help for Ward was on Spags.  I get up to go to the bathroom ONCE, and have to come back and explain everything to you!  Geez!

1 hour ago, Spfdchiefsfan said:

SMH!  He meant that the rules favor the reciever, which they do, and the lack of help for Ward was on Spags.  I get up to go to the bathroom ONCE, and have to come back and explain everything to you!  Geez!

Correct. After ward gets burnt 17 times in a row in 1 on 1 coverage you would think an adjustment would be made and give ward help.

more to the point they should have recognized pre game the bengals can’t run the ball , therefore, 99% of their offense is deep passes to chase. There was no excuse not to have a safety over the too at all times. Inexcusable 

Ward needs to give more cushion. He's a hell of an athlete and can contest catches but needs to give himself another step or two to cover the speed guys like Chase. In his defense, one of those TDs was an obvious push off by Chase. They usually call less DPI in the playoffs so maybe he can be more physical now as well. 

8 minutes ago, Dan4pres said:

Ward needs to give more cushion. He's a hell of an athlete and can contest catches but needs to give himself another step or two to cover the speed guys like Chase. In his defense, one of those TDs was an obvious push off by Chase. They usually call less DPI in the playoffs so maybe he can be more physical now as well. 

I was actually pretty impressed he was step for step. Just perfect throws and well played by Chase. He was not getting burned. Even good coverage and hand on the ball on the 3rd and 17. One of Ward’s better games coverage wise I thought.

16 minutes ago, CranjisMcbasketball said:

Correct. After ward gets burnt 17 times in a row in 1 on 1 coverage you would think an adjustment would be made and give ward help.

more to the point they should have recognized pre game the bengals can’t run the ball , therefore, 99% of their offense is deep passes to chase. There was no excuse not to have a safety over the too at all times. Inexcusable 

Just so you know, there is a little inside joke in that comment to OT!  I was mainly busting his balls!

I think Ward is a year away from being a solid CB in FA or a career vet-minimum or 2-3 million guy. He showed a lot of progress this year but also made a lot of mistakes. I'm not sure which Ward will be in the NFL next year but I think he gets a modest but solid deal in FA like 23-25 over 3 years.

11 hours ago, jetlord said:

I would put OT in that list. Niang is solid but not healthy enough to be reliable so we need someone else in the mix who'll possibly be the starting RT as early as next year. 

My approach would be to get a WR in FA as they apparently take too long to develop in this regime. Wouldn't mind doing that with OT either, a stop gap would help us quite a lot. 

10 hours ago, sith13 said:

I would put OT in that list. Niang is solid but not healthy enough to be reliable so we need someone else in the mix who'll possibly be the starting RT as early as next year. 

My approach would be to get a WR in FA as they apparently take too long to develop in this regime. Wouldn't mind doing that with OT either, a stop gap would help us quite a lot. 

Agree, but I look at the need for a RT as being for a backup.  Niang should have the job until and if he gets hurt again.  The positions I listed are where I think the Chiefs could use starters.