Divisional Round: Buffalo at KC Sunday at 5:30

28 minutes ago, ClarksvilleChief said:

What scares me is Andy calling some ridiculous play that has absolutely no reason of even being put into the playbook. He gets too cute sometimes and that can cost us points. We cannot give away points to a good team and hope we can stay in it. Just sayin.

Meh like any play when it works he's a genius and when it doesn't, the playcall sucks.  It works more often than not.  Not sure why you think we can't do that and stay in a game when we've proven over and over we absolutely can give points to a good team and stay in it. All of the 2019 playoffs come to mind.

2 hours ago, ClarksvilleChief said:

What scares me is Andy calling some ridiculous play that has absolutely no reason of even being put into the playbook. He gets too cute sometimes and that can cost us points. We cannot give away points to a good team and hope we can stay in it. Just sayin.

The point of Andy's 'cuteness' is to show defenses so many looks they can't plan for everything. For 17 games they had Kelce line up behind center only to run the ball for a first down or a TD. 

Now when he's behind center, they know there's a legit chance Travis can throw for a TD. This makes it a bit easier for him to run the ball, like in the last 17 games. One play opens up the next variation. 

Sometimes the defense guesses right, sometimes they execute well. When that happens, it's more difficult to succeed. And that's gonna happen... it's the NFL. 

They can't be successful every single play. But all these options, formations, reads, personnel, etc make it harder for defenses to gameplan which increases your odds of success. 

That's the benefit of having so many talented players.

Frankly, being as how Kelce was a college QB, I'm surprised he hasn't been given the green light to throw the ball more.

I'd love to see a jet sweep option with Kelce in motion, who can either run the ball or stop and throw to a wide-open Mahomes.

A guy can dream.

EDIT: I have been frustrated with his 'cute' playcalling at times too. But I'm just an armchair beer drinker. Andy's the best guy to be calling plays.

The thing that gives me optimism is the way the offense has incorporated more weapons. Last week was beautiful with Hardman, Pringle, Robinson and McKinnon all making huge contributions. In the past it felt like if teams could shut down Kelce and Hill it was game over. I don't feel nearly that way as it stands now. This team has evolved.

1 minute ago, dhitter said:

The thing that gives me optimism is the way the offense has incorporated more weapons. Last week was beautiful with Hardman, Pringle, Robinson and McKinnon all making huge contributions. In the past it felt like if teams could shut down Kelce and Hill it was game over. I don't feel nearly that way as it stands now. This team has evolved.

Agree.  The last several games have shown Pat's willingness to look for Pringle or Hardman when hill and Kelce are blanketed.  It's a sign of Mahomes maturity.  

10 minutes ago, dhitter said:

6 minutes ago, jetlord said:

Agree.  The last several games have shown Pat's willingness to look for Pringle or Hardman when hill and Kelce are blanketed.  It's a sign of Mahomes maturity.  

I also think Mahomes is delivering the ball much better than he did earlier in the season. He's leaned when not to put too much heat on it, and just toss it. It was really nice to watch.

1 hour ago, jetlord said:

conspicuously absent is the name "Robinson" so i believe it to be a trust issue as well...        

52 minutes ago, KC Warpaint said:

conspicuously absent is the name "Robinson" so i believe it to be a trust issue as well...        

I mean he just had some big plays the last game.  Even though I'ma go smack him if he carries the ball like that again.

4 hours ago, dhitter said:

I also feel like McKinnon’s success made the Steelers’ defense account for more avenues of attack.  

Remember how dominant our offense was when Kareem Hunt was here with Mahomes at QB?  It seemed unstoppable.

6 hours ago, mex said:

The point of Andy's 'cuteness' is to show defenses so many looks they can't plan for everything. For 17 games they had Kelce line up behind center only to run the ball for a first down or a TD. 

Now when he's behind center, they know there's a legit chance Travis can throw for a TD. This makes it a bit easier for him to run the ball, like in the last 17 games. One play opens up the next variation. 

Sometimes the defense guesses right, sometimes they execute well. When that happens, it's more difficult to succeed. And that's gonna happen... it's the NFL. 

They can't be successful every single play. But all these options, formations, reads, personnel, etc make it harder for defenses to gameplan which increases your odds of success. 

That's the benefit of having so many talented players.

Frankly, being as how Kelce was a college QB, I'm surprised he hasn't been given the green light to throw the ball more.

I'd love to see a jet sweep option with Kelce in motion, who can either run the ball or stop and throw to a wide-open Mahomes.

A guy can dream.

EDIT: I have been frustrated with his 'cute' playcalling at times too. But I'm just an armchair beer drinker. Andy's the best guy to be calling plays.

Well, this explains that. 

Amazing, Reid evolves the NFL. I've now come to accept that along with the clever yet sometimes frustrating plays he develops. 

13 minutes ago, DefensiveMan said:

they never showed the net result of the play..Incompletes? INT? or 1rt downs & TDs? Much akin to showing DT  highlights of his 7 sack game the Chiefs still lost.

23 hours ago, oldtimer said:

they never showed the net result of the play..Incompletes? INT? or 1rt downs & TDs? Much akin to showing DT  highlights of his 7 sack game the Chiefs still lost.

Doesn't matter.  If he gets that much pressure in this game our line will go off on them.  Pressure from multiple spots on the Dline is a force multiplier and allows us to do things like drop extra guys in coverage and spy on Allen.  It also makes those blitzes more effective amd opens up things for tertiary rushers like Wharton.

1 hour ago, xen said:

Doesn't matter.  If he gets that much pressure in this game our line will go off on them.  Pressure from multiple spots on the Dline is a force multiplier and allows us to do things like drop extra guys in coverage and spy on Allen.  It also makes those blitzes more effective amd opens up things for tertiary rushers like Wharton.

I'll hold off drinking my red Kool-Aid after the game..or not. IMO it doesn't matter is he gets 8 sacks and the Chiefs lose like they did in 1983 17-16 an L is an L and that matters.

1 hour ago, Chiefmanzada said:

This game about to be LIT

Bills have either blown teams out , or lose by one score. Have yet to win a one score game. That might play into factor. The entire Bills schedule pretty soft, I'd like to see their Defense get tested at all levels.

I read a article article about How the regular season meeting was the only time the bills did not blitz the entire game. played cover tow shell with mixes of cover 3-4 and man 1. 
they blitzed during 2020 playoff game and mahomes went for 2 TD. 

Bills more than likely will play a shell coverage and maybe blitz if it’s like a 3 rd 20 or something. 
so that means long clock eating drives is what we need.