2 hours ago, dhitter said:

Who here thinks if CEH is ready to go this week that Andy doesn't start him over McKinnon? Just thinking about it pisses me off. CEH is a running back. McKinnon is another offensive weapon and chess piece. Huge difference.

I think it will depend on what he thinks may be the best option against the Bills. I guess I don't know enough for it to piss me off, until it doesn't work in the game. LOL!

19 hours ago, Iluvhouse24 said:

I think he should be extended and given every opportunity to be our starter going forward. Reminiscent of when they extended Damien Williams a few years ago for peanuts.

McKinnon is exactly what this offense needs. McKinnon has explosiveness, gives Mahomes a bigger target than the oompa loompa that is CEH, is dynamic with the the ball in his hands, and is willing to run for the hard yards.

He's always been explosive when healthy. And if we really wanna pound the rock we have Gore and we can extend Darrel Williams.

I've been CEHs biggest supporter, but McKinnon is a really good fit here.

Absolutely agree.  If McKinnon doesn't hold up, then we're back to where we started.  His injury history will keep him cheap.  He's got a burst that the other 2 lack.  

I'd much prefer the RB depth chart to go McKinnon, Williams, CEH, in that order, but I don't think Reid will stick his first round pick at 3rd string. CEH isn't exactly durable either.  He's been in the league two years, and already missed 10 regular season games and 2 playoff games.  Basically he's missed 2 out of every 5 available games in his career. 

He adds the true home run threat at running back.  He shows more burst than the other backs and has the potential to be a real problem when teams drop back 7 or 8 guys in coverage.  I like this added dimension and I think it will serve the Chiefs well down the stretch.  This reminds me a lot of how the Chiefs utilized Williams in 2019.  Looking forward to seeing him get plenty of touches. 

• teicher_adam.png&h=80&w=80&scale=crop
      Adam TeicherESPN Staff Writer

KANSAS CITY, Mo. -- Running back Jerick McKinnon didn't just play a big part in helping the Kansas City Chiefs win their wild-card round playoff game against the Pittsburgh Steelers on Sunday, he also gave his coaches something to ponder as they prepare for their upcoming divisional round game against the Buffalo Bills.

McKinnon made a major push for continued playing time by rushing for 61 yards and catching six passes for 81 yards in the Chiefs' 42-21 win over the Steelers. He scored the Chiefs' first touchdown on a 4-yard pass from Patrick Mahomes.

McKinnon, whose 12 regular-season carries matched the 12 he saw Sunday against the Steelers, was featured because Clyde Edwards-Helaire sat out with an injured shoulder and Darrel Williams was limited because of an injured toe.

McKinnon played well enough to make a claim for more snaps against the Bills on Sunday (6:30 p.m. ET, CBS) and beyond if the Chiefs advance.

"I've seen it from training camp on that he's a playmaker," Mahomes said. "There's a reason he's been a playmaker in this league for the last few years here. Obviously, he dealt with injury in his career and he dealt with a little bit of injury this season but he kept his mindset right. He's kept working hard.

"I knew with some other guys being down and dinged up that he would fill in nicely."

Follow the NFL all season long

nfl.png?w=110&h=110&transparent=trueEverything you need this week:
     Full schedule » | Standings »
     Depth charts for every team »
     Transactions » | Injuries »
     Football Power Index rankings »
    More NFL coverage »

McKinnon had some big moments early in his career with the Minnesota Vikings. He rushed for more than 500 yards three times in his first four NFL seasons as a part-time player.

But after he moved to the San Francisco 49ers a knee injury cost him two seasons and Sunday night's game was his first chance since to regain what he lost.

"When you get in a place like that and you're just fighting and battling back, the only thing you can do is just put your head down and keep working and know in the back of your mind one of these days that work is going to pay off," McKinnon said. "The hard work I put in the past couple of years to overcome everything, it showed."

McKinnon missed several games early in the season because of a hamstring injury. He called his absence a blessing in disguise because it left him fresh when the Chiefs needed him in a bigger role against the Steelers.

"He gives you all kinds of confidence just the way he handles himself," coach Andy Reid said. "He's a confident guy [and] smart and he's a good athlete. You felt like if he got in there he'd do a good job. He can catch the football and he can run it. He's got good vision."

Tight end Travis Kelce said, "He just brings the energy. Every time he gets the ball he's a nonstop, downhill, aggressive runner. That's fun to play with. That's fun to block for. You know you've got the upper hand when you've got a guy back there with his ability."

It's too early for the Chiefs to know how they might split their backfield work against the Bills or whether Edwards-Helaire or Williams will be ready for a full role. But with those two they already had some choices and now it appears they have an additional option with McKinnon.

"The running back group we have is very deep and it's been showing," McKinnon said.

5 minutes ago, Iluvhouse24 said:

McKinnon was invited to the 2014 NFL Scouting Combine, where he improved his stock by running unofficial times of 4.38 and 4.35 in the 40-yard dash (4.41 official, 2nd fastest among RBs) while leading all running backs in bench press reps with 32.

6 hours ago, Docbarnabee said:

He adds the true home run threat at running back.  He shows more burst than the other backs and has the potential to be a real problem when teams drop back 7 or 8 guys in coverage.  I like this added dimension and I think it will serve the Chiefs well down the stretch.  This reminds me a lot of how the Chiefs utilized Williams in 2019.  Looking forward to seeing him get plenty of touches. 

the dude ain't afraid to take a hit either... I mean he laid the wood several times Sunday night.

21 minutes ago, Chiefmanzada said:

Reid ain’t messing around. McKinnon is the dude. Personally I think this was Reids plan all along

I liked to think the same but with CEH injured and williams he had no choice. But i do like to think this was the plan. I just hope he gets to start again even if other bodies are ready to go. 

10 hours ago, Docbarnabee said:

Playoff Damien is playoff McKinnon.

Is it also possible that McKinnon, who has had a limited role all season and has accrued no fatigue as he was mostly under utilized, just has fresh legs at this point? 
I think he looked great in the preseason and all but the guy is not a bell cow every down back but he does fit nicely into the running back room and rotation. 

2 hours ago, ClarksvilleChief said:

I like the way he hits the hole and goes... I get so pissed off watching Clyde dance behind 1 or 2 linemen trying to decide which way to go. Pick a spot and go..

I watched the game again, and it looks like Mckinnon is just better at seeing the field and allowing his teammates blocks to form. 

It's easy to get all giddy over McKinnen after the Steelers game.  He does give a change of pace and has the speed that the other RBs lack.  But if CEH is ready, the Chiefs will use him and McK will be situational.  That just how Reid rolls.  The Chiefs should use lots of screens to bring up the defense and then open up the offense.  McKinnen can play a big role in that. 

3 minutes ago, jetlord said:

It's easy to get all giddy over McKinnen after the Steelers game.  He does give a change of pace and has the speed that the other RBs lack.  But if CEH is ready, the Chiefs will use him and McK will be situational.  That just how Reid rolls.  The Chiefs should use lots of screens to bring up the defense and then open up the offense.  McKinnen can play a big role in that. 

McKinnon is successful because he's in a great system. A healthy CEH likely has a great game vs Pitt as well. Still, it's good to know we have options that can thrive.

50 minutes ago, mex said:

McKinnon is successful because he's in a great system. A healthy CEH likely has a great game vs Pitt as well. Still, it's good to know we have options that can thrive.

Yeah, but McKinnon is a different kind of back.  He was used like we all thought CEH would be in the passing game, but his speed on the edge is something CEH can't do. 

56 minutes ago, jetlord said:

Yeah, but McKinnon is a different kind of back.  He was used like we all thought CEH would be in the passing game, but his speed on the edge is something CEH can't do. 

You can't teach speed.  Just shows me we need a speed back in that RB room no matter how we get him.  Great pickup by Veach.

My whole, based on one fresh legged playoff game, let’s not anoint McKinnon the savior of the backfield post went over like a lead zeppelin. 
Hey, don’t get me wrong. I like the guy. He’s an undersized elusive back, a speedster, a nose for the hole, a great receiver out of the backfield and a great fit for this new ball control oriented offense. 
I understand that many of us are looking at CEH as a bust.. possibly.. and are happy to have him replaced in the lead running back role. 
For now stick with the hot hand in McKinnon but there’s a better long term answer on the roster already or to be had in the draft. 

2 minutes ago, gochiefsgo said:

My whole, based on one fresh legged playoff game, let’s not anoint McKinnon the savior of the backfield post went over like a lead zeppelin. 
Hey, don’t get me wrong. I like the guy. He’s an undersized elusive back, a speedster, a nose for the hole, a great receiver out of the backfield and a great fit for this new ball control oriented offense. 
I understand that many of us are looking at CEH as a bust.. possibly.. and are happy to have him replaced in the lead running back role. 
For now stick with the hot hand in McKinnon but there’s a better long term answer on the roster already or to be had in the draft. 

Well said. It looks like CEH has practiced in full today so lets see what happens.