3 hours ago, jetlord said:

Yeah, but McKinnon is a different kind of back.  He was used like we all thought CEH would be in the passing game, but his speed on the edge is something CEH can't do. 

McKinnon runs a 4.41... CEH 4.60. Sure he's faster... not sure that alone gives him the edge over CEH considering the many responsibilities Andy has for his backfield.  

Not a dig on Jerick... he had an awesome game and I feel good about him going up against Buff

But CEH would have probably done well vs Pitt too

1 minute ago, SEMO said:

Maybe.  But, in the week 16 matchup he had 9 rushes for 27 yds, and 1 catch for 4 yards, in 2.5 quarters.  

a TD and he got hurt  so really not the entire story.. That TD run was pretty awesome too BUT that being said I'd like to see CEH as the #3 RB this weekend

I find it funny that Mckinnon is the new flavor of the week. Before it was Gore when he had a good game, then Williams etc. Let them use the RB as they see in their strengths. I want CEH as we have him on the cheap but he can do all the others have done if they allow it. Thing that bothers me is his injuries. Can he hold up? Also the fact you would have thought he would have locked down the rb position by now as the starter. 

2 minutes ago, kkuenn said:

I find it funny that Mckinnon is the new flavor of the week. Before it was Gore when he had a good game, then Williams etc. Let them use the RB as they see in their strengths. I want CEH as we have him on the cheap but he can do all the others have done if they allow it. Thing that bothers me is his injuries. Can he hold up? Also the fact you would have thought he would have locked down the rb position by now as the starter. 

Like was said earlier, you can't teach speed.  Clyde can't get the edge, which is why they always run him up the middle.  I like him, but he is not, and will never be, a feature back, even if as you say, they "allow it."  No break away speed, and very average vision.  He has proved nothing in the pass game, which tells me that he hasn't shown it in practice either, or they would be using him more.  

If AR puts Clyde back at RB1, then so be it.  He probably will.  I hope he puts his stubbornness aside and goes with the hot hand, like he always did with Damien during the playoffs.  JMO

2 hours ago, SEMO said:

Like was said earlier, you can't teach speed.  Clyde can't get the edge, which is why they always run him up the middle.  I like him, but he is not, and will never be, a feature back, even if as you say, they "allow it."  No break away speed, and very average vision.  He has proved nothing in the pass game, which tells me that he hasn't shown it in practice either, or they would be using him more.  

If AR puts Clyde back at RB1, then so be it.  He probably will.  I hope he puts his stubbornness aside and goes with the hot hand, like he always did with Damien during the playoffs.  

You don't have to have a ton of speed to be an effective RB in this offense.  Part of the problem is Andy loves outside zone but McKinnon seems to be the only RB on the roster who can threaten the edge.  Solution is to play to our strengths and that can be fixed with more reps for the entire offense in gap runs and through playcalling.

But yeah I'd like to see McKinnon get more carries.  Not necessarily carry the load but be a big part of the gameplan.  He certainly does bring a dimension the other RBs don't. 

2 hours ago, kkuenn said:

Wide open space?  Kinda like the lanes that all of our running backs have missed this year.   We have a running back room full of jags with different abilities.  They all have different strengths and at least that gives us some flexibility and variety, but none will be the long term solution imo.

24 minutes ago, Lamardirts said:

Wide open space?  Kinda like the lanes that all of our running backs have missed this year.   We have a running back room full of jags with different abilities.  They all have different strengths and at least that gives us some flexibility and variety, but none will be the long term solution imo.

which begs the question..are they really looking for a long term  solution now? Hopefully they learned  a lesson with CEH

3 hours ago, SEMO said:

If AR puts Clyde back at RB1, then so be it.  He probably will.  I hope he puts his stubbornness aside and goes with the hot hand, like he always did with Damien during the playoffs.  JMO

It's true that speed can't be taught, could be improved but just a negligible amount. However I think CEH can develop his vision and already showed a few good examples. I don't think he'll ever have Holmes or JC type vision but that's somewhat of a luxury.

I don't know about Reid's choice in terms of CEH vs someone else but I wouldn't be surprised if McKinnon or Williams end up with more snaps than CEH. 

12 hours ago, SEMO said:

Maybe.  But, in the week 16 matchup he had 9 rushes for 27 yds, and 1 catch for 4 yards, in 2.5 quarters.  

True, but would McKinnon have dominated in that game?

Again, nothing against him... but it was just one game.

I hope we see him more. But that doesn't mean I think he's the next JC.  Not yet.

If we can’t admit that ceh is average at this point we are kidding ourselves. 
Is it because where he was drafted?

it’s ok to just say it at this point. He’s just ok.

McKinnon and gore both have more juice than ceh. 

anyway, just go group effort and hot hand 

14 minutes ago, Calichief said:

If we can’t admit that ceh is average at this point we are kidding ourselves. 
Is it because where he was drafted?

it’s ok to just say it at this point. He’s just ok.

McKinnon and gore both have more juice than ceh. 

anyway, just go group effort and hot hand 

Can't disagree

in today's nfl there's no need to draft a RB in the first three rounds

when you do, you expect big things... like a zeke elliott or derrick henry

13 hours ago, oldtimer said:

which begs the question..are they really looking for a long term  solution now? Hopefully they learned  a lesson with CEH

I think they did.  It wouldn't suprise me if they don't look for another rb in the lower rounds and start churning that position or find cheap veterans on one year minimum deals until they find their guy.

13 hours ago, oldtimer said:

Tough question. I'd like to believe they learned their lesson but a GM/scout can always fall in love with a specific prospect. In terms of the position RB has no value in late 1st as the stars are already gone and with the committee approach of the college there's really not that much difference between a late 1st and another prospect on the 2nd day. The shelf life is still limited and the risk of injury simply makes RB a bad pick early in the draft. 

On the other hand undrafted prospects can do wonders but not as common. They generally take a year or two to develop so something in between makes the most sense. 3rd - 4th should be ideal to pick a RB IMO and could add more prospects later on. Spend the higher picks on players that can actually be around for a decade. 

2 hours ago, mex said:

Can't disagree

in today's nfl there's no need to draft a RB in the first three rounds

when you do, you expect big things... like a zeke elliott or derrick henry

And as good as those guys are the positional value, contract, and impact aren't worth it imo.   Find a good back in those mid to late rounds or committee it.

26 minutes ago, sith13 said:

Tough question. I'd like to believe they learned their lesson but a GM/scout can always fall in love with a specific prospect. In terms of the position RB has no value in late 1st as the stars are already gone and with the committee approach of the college there's really not that much difference between a late 1st and another prospect on the 2nd day. The shelf life is still limited and the risk of injury simply makes RB a bad pick early in the draft. 

On the other hand undrafted prospects can do wonders but not as common. They generally take a year or two to develop so something in between makes the most sense. 3rd - 4th should be ideal to pick a RB IMO and could add more prospects later on. Spend the higher picks on players that can actually be around for a decade. 

Plus RB's from smaller schools often times get overlooked and have to deal with poor oline play.  Good scouting can find really good players lower in the draft.  IE Kareem Hunt.   Shoot even JC was a 3rd round pick.

6 hours ago, Lamardirts said:

I think they did.  It wouldn't suprise me if they don't look for another rb in the lower rounds and start churning that position or find cheap veterans on one year minimum deals until they find their guy.

not my idea of a long term solution but I'd hope that is the direction they take.

5 hours ago, oldtimer said:

not my idea of a long term solution but I'd hope that is the direction they take.

I think this offense is predicated on speed. The second jerrick hit the field everything they wanted to do was successful. Just keep adding speed 

1 hour ago, Calichief said:

I think this offense is predicated on speed. The second jerrick hit the field everything they wanted to do was successful. Just keep adding speed 

Great point! It's been based on speed for awhile. Seems like every player Andy gets was a former speedster.  It amazes me how fast Tyreek Hill can get outside without being touched. 

I remember in the playoff game against the Texans, JJ Watt was so gassed, it looked like he needed some oxygen chasing Mahomes and everyone else around, I almost felt sorry for him.