Buffalo had the #1 defense in the NFL, and the #5 offense. On paper, this team should have dominated Sunday night.

Pittsburg's defense was respectable, in fact it was the ONLY reason they made the playoffs.

Only 5 teams in the league have a worse defense than KC, and without Mathieu and Fenton, we likely have the worst defense.

Patrick's regular season RTG was barely above average at 98.5. Surely because of the rough start.

Patrick's playoff RTG... vs two of the better defenses in the NFL... 131.7 

131.7 vs the top defenses in the NFL

After the Buffalo game hangover, I'm just sitting here trying to wrap my head around that. 

1 hour ago, mex said:

Buffalo had the #1 defense in the NFL, and the #5 offense. On paper, this team should have dominated Sunday night.

Pittsburg's defense was respectable, in fact it was the ONLY reason they made the playoffs.

Only 5 teams in the league have a worse defense than KC, and without Mathieu and Fenton, we likely have the worst defense.

Patrick's regular season RTG was barely above average at 98.5. Surely because of the rough start.

Patrick's playoff RTG... vs two of the better defenses in the NFL... 131.7 

131.7 vs the top defenses in the NFL

After the Buffalo game hangover, I'm just sitting here trying to wrap my head around that. 

Nice info. Yes Mahomes is on a different level especially when it matters most. Mr Clutch

Meaningless Stats.

Schedules are not even. Divisions are not even. Weather is a factor. Injuries are a factor.  Game situations are different. A team playing from behind ,often, could look lousy running the ball because they are passing to catch up. Yards as a measuring stick?  This goes on and on and on. A team giving up 20 more yards on the ground can drop 5-10 positions in run defense. You have teams like Balt that love to pad their stats buy running up the score. 

I think points allowed and scored is a more realistic measure and even that has huge flaws.

3 hours ago, moons314 said:

The legend continues to grow.  Just think, after decades of disappointment, we are 60 minutes from a 3rd straight super bowl.  There will be statues erected of him, buildings and roads named for him. 

And more babies named Patrick in the US than when the Irish all moved here after the famine.

4 hours ago, moons314 said:

The legend continues to grow.  Just think, after decades of disappointment, we are 60 minutes from a 3rd straight super bowl.  There will be statues erected of him, buildings and roads named for him. 

We are watching a legend and times not fully appreciating what he has brought to Kansas City. The expectations are higher every year and nothing short of Super Bowl appearances are considered a failure. Remember when we all hoped we would make the playoffs. Then if we did....hoping like hell we could win a game. Unreal what Mahomes has done and continues to do. 

What blows me away is his growth this year. I had no idea he could actually GET BETTER.

After a hell of a rough start, the kid definitely showed signs of losing confidence. I don't blame him... running for your life can do that to a guy.

But ever since teams started going more cover-2, taking away the deep threats, he's learned to see the field better and take what a defense gives. Once they are able to peck away 7 or 8 yards a pop, defenses must start adjusting, and that's when things open back up for him. 

His 4th Q and OT performance Sunday night were LEGENDARY. It's hard to see that now, so soon after, because frankly we're still shell-shocked by it. But he simply marched us down the field right when it was needed, and did so against the best defense in the league. 

Imagine having 13 seconds to drive 45 yards against the #1 passing defense, and doing it in two plays with 3 seconds to spare. In his last two drives, when needed most, Patrick went 8-8 for 113 yards, in less than 5 minutes.

Talk about peaking at the right time. Holy smokes.

1 hour ago, mex said:

What blows me away is his growth this year. I had no idea he could actually GET BETTER.

After a hell of a rough start, the kid definitely showed signs of losing confidence. I don't blame him... running for your life can do that to a guy.

But ever since teams started going more cover-2, taking away the deep threats, he's learned to see the field better and take what a defense gives. Once they are able to peck away 7 or 8 yards a pop, defenses must start adjusting, and that's when things open back up for him. 

His 4th Q and OT performance Sunday night were LEGENDARY. It's hard to see that now, so soon after, because frankly we're still shell-shocked by it. But he simply marched us down the field right when it was needed, and did so against the best defense in the league. 

Imagine having 13 seconds to drive 45 yards against the #1 passing defense, and doing it in two plays with 3 seconds to spare. In his last two drives, when needed most, Patrick went 8-8 for 113 yards, in less than 5 minutes.

1000% Mex.  A lot of people aren't understanding this.

Something else I'm noticing, and it may be nothing; other QB's seem to be emulating him. 

they talked on the radio about the Bills D and they made very good points.  Mostly that they didn't play very many really good offenses this year.  Playing the Jets twice, Texans, Jags, Saints, Panthers will make stats look really good.  Granted a couple of those teams they didn't let them score at all which is impressive but their schedule was weak overall. 

And here's a stat that you don't hear anybody talking about. Buffalo's number one overall defense didn't have a single pass defensed against Mahomes. Not one. He just carved them up like a surgeon. I don't know that I've seen the game that there wasn't a single pass defensed by the opposing team.

41 minutes ago, Joe_Chief said:

And here's a stat that you don't hear anybody talking about. Buffalo's number one overall defense didn't have a single pass defensed against Mahomes. Not one. He just carved them up like a surgeon. I don't know that I've seen the game that there wasn't a single pass defensed by the opposing team.

OIP.F3Dg-H-DNkhwJxzn1eAqMwHaFj?pid=ImgDe

21 hours ago, mex said:

To be fair, that rough start I wouldn't even attribute to him.  Statistically he got hit with several interceptions that weren't his fault, receivers with inexplicable easy drops that bounced right to defenders.  He was adjusting to a completely new and rebuilt offensive line that he'd never played with before, and really wasn't getting crap for help from the guys around him.  I think you could really see by the Titans game that it had taken it's toll and he was second guessing some things.  I do believe that those tipped balls going for INTs got in his head.  It's one thing to go on to the next play when it's your mistake because you can work on correcting it, it's entirely different after 4-5 INTs coming from catchable balls.  That's not to say he didn't have his own mistakes, because he did, but I think the things he couldn't control we wearing on him more than the things he could.  JMO

6 minutes ago, moons314 said:

To be fair, that rough start I wouldn't even attribute to him.  Statistically he got hit with several interceptions that weren't his fault, receivers with inexplicable easy drops that bounced right to defenders.  He was adjusting to a completely new and rebuilt offensive line that he'd never played with before, and really wasn't getting crap for help from the guys around him.  I think you could really see by the Titans game that it had taken it's toll and he was second guessing some things.  I do believe that those tipped balls going for INTs got in his head.  It's one thing to go on to the next play when it's your mistake because you can work on correcting it, it's entirely different after 4-5 INTs coming from catchable balls.  That's not to say he didn't have his own mistakes, because he did, but I think the things he couldn't control we wearing on him more than the things he could.  JMO

Absolutely. But all great QBs have to deal with that. It just sucks his seemed to show up all at once.

I think the number #1 attribute (aside from obvious talent)is that he has no fear of losing. He'll do whatever it takes to win. On the biggest stage in the world, he threw not one but 2 INTs. and just kept flinging to the win. Many QBs would have folded like a lawn chair. He's not worried about throwing a game ending INT in an effort to win.

“[As] shared by Mahomes’ trainer Bobby Stroupe on Twitter, Mahomes’ [heart rate] spiked when he was on the sideline watching Buffalo make their game-changing plays, and then also immediately after Mahomes made his clutch plays. His HR was low in the huddle and pre-snap, allowing his body and mind to be in a clear ‘flow state’ – helping him be at his best with the game on the line.”

WHOOP went on to break the numbers down further, detailing some of the key moments by the numbers on their monitor:

• Average heart rate: 144 beats per minute (bpm).

• Peak heart rate: 191 bpm during his first-quarter rushing TD.

• Low heart rate: 79 bpm.

From 8:27 pm (1:54 left in the game) to 8:55 pm, Mahomes’ heart rate never dipped below 144 bpm. On Mahomes’ 64-yard touchdown pass to Tyreek Hill (1:02 left in the game), his heart rate spike to 171 bpm when the Chiefs took a 33-29 lead. When the Bills took the 36-33 lead (13 seconds remaining) Mahomes’ heart rate was in the ‘flow state’ again. However, when Harrison Butker kicked the game-tying field goal, Mahomes’ heart rate shot up to 162 bpm.

Whoop also included Mahomes’ physical output and strain during the win, right down to the number of calories burned in the masterful performance.

“In total, Mahomes’ activity strain during the game was 18.8 with 2,347 calories burned, and his day strain was 20.4 (on a 0-21 scale). Over the 28 minutes of real-time spanning the frantic end of regulation and OT, his average heart rate was nearly 160 bpm.”

If there was any doubt that Mahomes left it all on the field against Buffalo, the numbers certainly seem to point toward full exertion in a remarkable effort to win one of the toughest matchups of his career.

c33c75d713cb92cc07acfda6450b6795

6 minutes ago, azchief21 said:

That's amazing.

I heard on the radio yesterday that his heart rate went higher when the Defense  was on the field.. I had to LOL because mine did too. The radio guy attributed it to him being calm under preasure..BS he like everybody else was waiting for the D to catastrophically  fail and it did.

23 hours ago, oldtimer said:

“[As] shared by Mahomes’ trainer Bobby Stroupe on Twitter, Mahomes’ [heart rate] spiked when he was on the sideline watching Buffalo make their game-changing plays, and then also immediately after Mahomes made his clutch plays. His HR was low in the huddle and pre-snap, allowing his body and mind to be in a clear ‘flow state’ – helping him be at his best with the game on the line.”

WHOOP went on to break the numbers down further, detailing some of the key moments by the numbers on their monitor:

• Average heart rate: 144 beats per minute (bpm).

• Peak heart rate: 191 bpm during his first-quarter rushing TD.

• Low heart rate: 79 bpm.

From 8:27 pm (1:54 left in the game) to 8:55 pm, Mahomes’ heart rate never dipped below 144 bpm. On Mahomes’ 64-yard touchdown pass to Tyreek Hill (1:02 left in the game), his heart rate spike to 171 bpm when the Chiefs took a 33-29 lead. When the Bills took the 36-33 lead (13 seconds remaining) Mahomes’ heart rate was in the ‘flow state’ again. However, when Harrison Butker kicked the game-tying field goal, Mahomes’ heart rate shot up to 162 bpm.

Whoop also included Mahomes’ physical output and strain during the win, right down to the number of calories burned in the masterful performance.

“In total, Mahomes’ activity strain during the game was 18.8 with 2,347 calories burned, and his day strain was 20.4 (on a 0-21 scale). Over the 28 minutes of real-time spanning the frantic end of regulation and OT, his average heart rate was nearly 160 bpm.”

If there was any doubt that Mahomes left it all on the field against Buffalo, the numbers certainly seem to point toward full exertion in a remarkable effort to win one of the toughest matchups of his career.

I wonder what the score was at 8 PM?