Credit where Credit is due this one is for the GOAT

Travis Kelce is not a good tight end. He is not a great tight end, He is the best tight end to ever play the game. 

They said he didnt block, well.. if you have watched this year you  have consistently seen him in somebody's way. 

Unless he has the ball.. In which case people cant seem to get in his way. 

So lets raise a glass, to the man with a Gold Jacket, A true first balot hall of famer, and a man even the greatest tightends in history,

acknowledge to be the GOAT. 

That's the thing that frustrates me the most about the debates regarding the best TE in the NFL, the argument that Kelce is not a good blocker.  The fact is, if you look at the PFF rankings (or madden even since they are pretty credible at this time), the separation between kelce and the best blocking TEs in the league is minimal.  I can't find it (don't have the paid subscription), but i believe kelce has been in the top 3 blocking TEs on PFF for the last 3 years or so.  

I know its just hater fans trying to discount Kelce's greatness, but someone jumped on this Kittle blocking narrative and now every fan thinks its a valid argument when it isn't.  

And the Gronk argument.   Well, Kelce has played 3 fewer seasons than gronk, and yet is only 16 games behind him played.  AVAILABILITY is the best ablility to have in football, and Kelce trumps Gronk.  Not to mention here's some career splits between kelce and gronk (remember, kelce has played 3 fewer seasons and 16 fewer games in that time:

Catches Yards TDs Catch %
Kelce 704 9006 57 70.8
Gronk 621 9286 92

Yeah...  TDs are huge, but everyone here knows that TDs are objective as many times its just the person who's number gets called near the endzone and there are a lot of stat vultures.  In spite of our recent frustration with kelce over drops, he seems to be much better at not dropping the ball than Gronk as well.  

I know there is a lot of homer talking here, but man I just don't see how people act like Kelce isn't in the same league as Kittle/Gronk.  For all purposes he's better than both.

Crazy...

When they induct Kelce into the HOF on the first ballot i doubt many blocking highlights will get shown nor should they.  It will be the catch that put them into FG range the catch that won the game or the game winner against the Chargers and many others. 

How many think that Gronk would have basically said that may be the play that's called but this is what I'm going to do which wasn't part of the play call and doing it in that moment.  

The "best" is always subjective as this is a team sport. There are exceptional situations but elite players can all be the "best" based on the perspective. I like Kelce a lot more than Gronk at TE but wouldn't say that Gronk isn't just as good. I like Kittle a lot too, especially during the mic'd of the SB win he showed to be a real classy guy and a solid teammate while putting up the numbers.

In the end Kelce will get to the SB in the first ballot but everyone can consider anyone as the "best" for whatever reason they choose. Keep in mind that Mahomes was the worse QB on Sunday according to most of the media. 

1 hour ago, oldtimer said:

Gronk had the GOAT  throwing to him  his whole career Kelce dint.. when it's all said n done Kelce will have Gronks records

Yep. Gronk is still #1 in stats according to that metric. But Kelce ain't done yet.

(neither is gronk, but Brady might be)