Get It Off Your Chest

I think it’s awesome we for to 4 straight AFC championship games.  It is an accomplishment to celebrate but at the end of the day this is a dynasty caliber roster that will be judged by SB appearances and wins.   We are never guaranteed to be back here again….and we were a fg before half or a couple runs at the end of the 2nd half away from getting back to the SB with a roster capable of winning in.    It is a missed opportunity and it is something that has followed Andy Reid his whole career.   

We were running the ball incredibly setting up short yardage 2nd and 3rd downs and then we abandoned it.   They dared us to run and we tried to throw it down against 8 defenders.   

One thing I hated but respected about the Pats is BB would do whatever it took to win.  Meaning he would run it 100 times if that gave him the best chance to win.   They took what the D gave them and won.   If you are trying to win SBs and track down the GOATS in this league you cannot miss opportunities like this.   

We didn’t lose to a better team we gift wrapped this win for them because of mental mistakes, errors, and stubbornness.

Tough loss! 

2 hours ago, Iluvhouse24 said:

You want EB fired because he's a shitty playcaller. Do you have some kind of proof? I mean Reid admitted the last call at the end of the first half was his, and it stunk. But you dont buy it because...why? 

Quite a few people here have just arbitrarily decided that EB is calling plays with no proof that it has taken place, other than the fact they see him with a play sheet and see his mouth moving pre-snap. 

Reid has admitted himself in the past that he's very possessive when it comes to playcalling but you think that in the second half of the AFC Championship he just decided he wanted to be less involved? 

There's 22 years of evidence that Reid is a pass first playcaller regardless of situation. Making Bienemy the scapegoat here is just irresponsible. He wasn't calling plays. This collapse has Reid written all over it. 

I agree there is no proof, but he is not calling out Sandy for Abandoning the Run either.   Yes men are just as much to blame.   If everyone and their dog knows we need to run on these light boxes and we keep forcing it down field……..surely those guys know it too.   

4 hours ago, Calichief said:

I’m gonna say it a different way-

running the ball will actually MAKE PAT BETTER 

it will open it up 

Pat needed Andy to be the HC and help him out.   After that pick, we needed to run the ball and allow Mahomes to settle back down.   You could visibly tell he was off and not quite right.   

At the end of the game they showed an angle of the endzone.   We are on the 5 yard line and there was 5 wrs and like 7 Bengals defenses in the endzone.   There was no were to run or get open and our wrs were dancing around and there was nothing for Mahomes.   It was a dumb call.   Line up in the I with big personal and Kelce and Hill.   Force them in and if you must pass there is more space for Hill or Kelce to get open.  Better yet try and power it in for the win.  

I remember in the SB winning year Bill Cower had an interesting interview with Reid. He ask Reid something like "Andy run the ball more" It seemed really sincere from coach to coach. Reid just kind of laughed uncomfortably.     

This is the vent thread, so I'll say it's just a shame. Reid is a very good coach, and I'm happy for the success he's brought the Chiefs, but it's just that one thing. It's the one thing he won't commit to totally. He did it in the  2019 SB just enough with Willams and it helped.

8 hours ago, Lamardirts said:

I agree there is no proof, but he is not calling out Sandy for Abandoning the Run either.   Yes men are just as much to blame.   If everyone and their dog knows we need to run on these light boxes and we keep forcing it down field……..surely those guys know it too.   

Who tf is Sandy? And how much input does she have on our playcalling?

8 hours ago, Lamardirts said:

Pat needed Andy to be the HC and help him out.   After that pick, we needed to run the ball and allow Mahomes to settle back down.   You could visibly tell he was off and not quite right.   

At the end of the game they showed an angle of the endzone.   We are on the 5 yard line and there was 5 wrs and like 7 Bengals defenses in the endzone.   There was no were to run or get open and our wrs were dancing around and there was nothing for Mahomes.   It was a dumb call.   Line up in the I with big personal and Kelce and Hill.   Force them in and if you must pass there is more space for Hill or Kelce to get open.  Better yet try and power it in for the win.  

Yep. Run 3 times if you need to. If you don't score, you have a chip shot FG. We are trying to kill clock there as is, so the runs would be advantageous even if we were stopped short of the end zone. 

This read option bullshit inside the 5 yard line is absolutely fucking asinine with this group of offensive lineman and Reid showed absolutely fucking ZERO evidence this year that this notion EVER fucking occurred to him.

I DO NOT understand Andy Reid. I'm not calling for him to be fired or any of that dramatic bullshit. But this is a coach who should have almost as much jewelry as Belichick by now and he has ONE ring because he cannot get out of his own fucking way. 

Was it me or did KC have very little emotion or energy coming out of the half. Really even after midway thru the 2nd quarter after the intial andreline wore off.   I'm wondering if that game last week took more out them than what we think.  They just looked uninterested at the end of regulation going into OT.  

Have to admit. This one is really bugging me. I actually woke up at 3:30 this morning and couldn’t get back to sleep, I kept running the game over in my mind. The knuckle headed play at the end of the 1st half. The terrible play calling and execution at the end of the 2nd half. 
This game was very winnable. A few inexplicable things and the Chiefs are done.

Geesh

28 minutes ago, Burpo The Mad Clown said:

Have to admit. This one is really bugging me. I actually woke up at 3:30 this morning and couldn’t get back to sleep, I kept running the game over in my mind. The knuckle headed play at the end of the 1st half. The terrible play calling and execution at the end of the 2nd half. 
This game was very winnable. A few inexplicable things and the Chiefs are done.

Geesh

Yea, the game was actually WON, and we forced the loss upon ourselves. 

I wasn't that pissed at the end of the 1st half because we were up 18 and got the ball in the 2nd half. I just knew we would come out in the second half and feed them the run game..I just knew it!

We were digging them for 6 yds a clip on EVERY FIRST DOWN RUN. They knew we were running the ball on 1st downs and couldn't stop it!!

DO YOU GUYS KNOW HOW MANY FUCKING TIMES WE PUNTED THE BALL when we had 2nd and 5 or less???

ALL OF THEM! WTF????? 

Cincy stayed in nickel and dime on 2nd and short cause they knew Reid wouldn't use common damn sense. Then on 3rd downs they would just drop 8 in coverage. Pathetic. 

And Pat not running and picking up 1st downs in the 4th qtr is very confusing also. I haven't watched the ALL 22, but I would have to assume they had a spy on him. After all they were dropping back 8 people..

I do hate some things about Andy Reid, and "Hate" is not a word I throw around loosely. But I absolutely HATE Reid's ego, stubbornness (or whatever you wanna call it), reluctance to run the ball and utilize the clock. I HATE his fucking loyalty to players and coaches when they've clearly lost their edge or not that good to begin with. (Looking at you CEH, Bob Sutton, Ben Sorenson, Dan Nieman, Anthony Hitchens etc...) And I hate that he outsmarts himself by not keeping it simple when necessary.

However, I am not on the Fire ANDY REID train. I can clearly remember what life was like before he got here and I don't want to go back to that. But I will say that Andy is starting to make some of us CRAZY in our own heads. He's like an mentally abusive spouse or something. He's not hitting us, or cussing us out or even throwing shit around the house.. He's just constantly doing little tiny things to BREAK OUR FUCKING HEARTS when it matters most.

My letter to Reid-

Andy, give yourself a fail safe.  Another person who sees what is happening and can over rule your play calling.  

my letter to Pat-

Pat, refuse the cute shit when Andy calls it at the wrong time. And please know how many timeouts you have. 

sincerely 

58shineson

52 minutes ago, 58shineson said:

Andy, give yourself a fail safe.  Another person who sees what is happening and can over rule your play calling.  

I was just thinking that the Chiefs need an OC with the cojonies to just say no; Someone not overly awed by Big Red who will keep him tethered to earth during a game. 

10 minutes ago, Burpo The Mad Clown said:

I was just thinking that the Chiefs need an OC with the cojonies to just say no; Someone not overly awed by Big Red who will keep him tethered to earth during a game. 

Brad Childress was the one who did it before. Not sure why he chose to leave. 

However, I am not on the Fire ANDY REID train. I can clearly remember what life was like before he got here and I don't want to go back to that.

One thing is clear, as each year goes by we will get closer and closer to AR calling it a career. He cannot coach forever and i find myself wondering about the succession plan for the chiefs. I really do not think that EB is that guy and don't know shit about Kafka (could he get snapped up this offseason?) coaching in the AFCW is becoming younger and Big Red is the old man on the block.

18 minutes ago, Burpo The Mad Clown said:

Wow  how ironic it is that you and 58 thought the very same I have been while prepping for this  up coming winter storm, calling for 2 -24"  😊. As I was stacking firewood on the porch I wondered who that person could be? Certainly isn't EB nor would it be Kafka...my answer came to one person.. Pederson. Previous working relationship and has won just as many SB's as a HC as Reid.

9 minutes ago, qnet said:

Brad Childress was the one who did it before. Not sure why he chose to leave. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brad_Childress

On February 13, 2017, Childress was promoted to assistant head coach.[22] Childress announced his retirement on January 8, 2018, following a wildcard round playoff loss to the Tennessee Titans.

Atlanta Legends[edit]

On April 25, 2018, the Alliance of American Football announced Childress would serve as head coach of the Atlanta Legends starting with the inaugural 2019 season.[23] On January 9, 2019, one month before the team's first game, Childress resigned, with defensive coordinator Kevin Coyle succeeding him.[24]

On February 27, 2018, Childress came out of retirement to reunite with Nagy on the Chicago Bears as an offensive consultant.[26] Serving through the 2018 offseason and training camp, Childress assisted Nagy in developing and installing his offense.[27]

Childress rejoined the Bears on May 1, 2019, as the senior offensive assistant.[27]

He retired from coaching in April 2020.[28]

2 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

Wow  how ironic it is that you and 58 thought the very same I have been while prepping for this  up coming winter storm, calling for 2 -24"  😊. As I was stacking firewood on the porch I wondered who that person could be? Certainly isn't EB nor would it be Kafka...my answer came to one person.. Pederson. Previous working relationship and has won just as many SB's as a HC as Reid.

sucky thing is that you cannot bring just kick EB out and bring back Doug, maybe EB goes to coach in college which would make the decision easier but unless he is coaching in KC he won't be in the NFL

9 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

On February 27, 2018, Childress came out of retirement to reunite with Nagy on the Chicago Bears as an offensive consultant.[26] Serving through the 2018 offseason and training camp, Childress assisted Nagy in developing and installing his offense.[27]

Childress rejoined the Bears on May 1, 2019, as the senior offensive assistant.[27]

He retired from coaching in April 2020.[28]

Hmmm..That interesting. I knew he was an assistant of some sort with the Bears, but didn't know he was that involved.  On Pro-football-ref.com you can see he had a lot of experience in college before joining Reid's staff in Philly.  Guess he's done now.

10 minutes ago, KC Warpaint said:

sucky thing is that you cannot bring just kick EB out and bring back Doug, maybe EB goes to coach in college which would make the decision easier but unless he is coaching in KC he won't be in the NFL

It don't matter who comes in after EB, they aint calling the plays. I'm accepting it....This is the life we will live as long as reid is here.

Mahomes' lack of pocket awareness and fundamentals showed up in a big way in the 2nd half. We should expect this more often unless he works to change it. The league is catching up to him. Having said that, his style brought us a SB win, so I'm good with that and grateful after all those years.

For us long time fans, let's not forget all those tortuous seasons and how we wished to just get to the playoffs let alone win one. Now anything short of a SB appearance is failure. We've come a looooong way. (Thanks Mahomes) Going forward, we'll need much more than just Mahomes Magic as Allen, Burrow and I think eventually Herbert have raised their game to Mahomes-like levels. Veach & Andy have a big off season ahead. 

6 hours ago, artsy said:

Yea, the game was actually WON, and we forced the loss upon ourselves. 

I wasn't that pissed at the end of the 1st half because we were up 18 and got the ball in the 2nd half. I just knew we would come out in the second half and feed them the run game..I just knew it!

We were digging them for 6 yds a clip on EVERY FIRST DOWN RUN. They knew we were running the ball on 1st downs and couldn't stop it!!

DO YOU GUYS KNOW HOW MANY FUCKING TIMES WE PUNTED THE BALL when we had 2nd and 5 or less???

ALL OF THEM! WTF????? 

Cincy stayed in nickel and dime on 2nd and short cause they knew Reid wouldn't use common damn sense. Then on 3rd downs they would just drop 8 in coverage. Pathetic. 

And Pat not running and picking up 1st downs in the 4th qtr is very confusing also. I haven't watched the ALL 22, but I would have to assume they had a spy on him. After all they were dropping back 8 people..

I do hate some things about Andy Reid, and "Hate" is not a word I throw around loosely. But I absolutely HATE Reid's ego, stubbornness (or whatever you wanna call it), reluctance to run the ball and utilize the clock. I HATE his fucking loyalty to players and coaches when they've clearly lost their edge or not that good to begin with. (Looking at you CEH, Bob Sutton, Ben Sorenson, Dan Nieman, Anthony Hitchens etc...) And I hate that he outsmarts himself by not keeping it simple when necessary.

However, I am not on the Fire ANDY REID train. I can clearly remember what life was like before he got here and I don't want to go back to that. But I will say that Andy is starting to make some of us CRAZY in our own heads. He's like an mentally abusive spouse or something. He's not hitting us, or cussing us out or even throwing shit around the house.. He's just constantly doing little tiny things to BREAK OUR FUCKING HEARTS when it matters most.

great post. 

The other thing that baffles me is this is two games against the Bengal's and the 2nd halves of each game are identical. What the hell did we not learn? Did they drop 8 into coverage in the first meeting also? If so this is even more baffling to me. That's the part of this loss that irks me the most. If it happens once ok..but twice against the same team in a matter of 4-weeks.  

3 hours ago, azchief21 said:

Mahomes' lack of pocket awareness and fundamentals showed up in a big way in the 2nd half. We should expect this more often unless he works to change it. The league is catching up to him. Having said that, his style brought us a SB win, so I'm good with that and grateful after all those years.

Meh, when your 4 options are double covered cause there’s 8 guys out there, you are gonna have to run around.