Why is Mahomes two different people

We saw it repeatedly this year, but nowhere more obvious than the second half of both Bengals games.  Why is Mahomes two different people, the one who had 28 and 21 on the Bengals the first half and, what 3 or 6, the second half?

Is it Andy not coaching or scheming the game plan correctly?  Is it the great one, Bieniemy, who year after year, other teams pass on for the head coaching job?   Is it Mahommes isn't particularly bright and can't adjust to change?  

5 minutes ago, SarcasticOne said:

We saw it repeatedly this year, but nowhere more obvious than the second half of both Bengals games.  Why is Mahomes two different people, the one who had 28 and 21 on the Bengals the first half and, what 3 or 6, the second half?

Is it Andy not coaching or scheming the game plan correctly?  Is it the great one, Bieniemy, who year after year, other teams pass on for the head coaching job?   Is it Mahommes isn't particularly bright and can't adjust to change?  

Forgot this, picked up over at Arrowhead Pride:  According to ESPN, Mahomes’ first-half quarterback rating (QBR) was 98.0 as opposed to 1.4 in the second half and overtime, the largest gap in a player’s QBR by half in the playoffs since tracking began in 2006.

He is human.  No QB has ever faced this pressure or scrutiny 5 years in.   Brady was a game manager on a dynasty team after 5 years making a run at his peer Peyton.  It wasn’t until he was in the league 10 plus years that the GOAT talk started really taking serious roots.

Andy trusted him in the first half and it back fired.   

Go back and watch that first posession of the 2nd half.   Hill and Kelce got held on those drops.  And because of the number of tipped TOs he got rattled by the ints.   Reid and EB should has recognized things weren’t quite right and leaned on the running game for a possession with maybe a play action pass to get him back in the groove.  He is still a young qb.   I get that they trusted the kid and thought he would snap back out of it but it back fired.  

All that and we still drive it down to the 5 yard line with a chance to win and Pat got nervous and didn’t rifle it in to Kelce or Pringle and Reid didn’t call 3 run plays to punch it in.   

It was a challenging year for Mahomes.  He had a bad half.   He also made himself into a different style qb on the fly mid season, something most qbs take years to do.   

He will get it figured out and we will witness something special next year!  

1 minute ago, Thegoatee said:

Hard to throw when 3 of 5 targets are double teamed. Run. The. Ball.

It was hard to watch our all world qb in a mental funk and the coaching staff not calling some runs to get him back in the groove.   

As quickly as he gets in those funks sometimes he can get out with a throw.  Why not run some and play action.  Maybe Mahomes will advocate for that.   You know he will see the obvious when he rewatch a the tape.   He will see his misses but how we have to run in those moments.

3 minutes ago, Thegoatee said:

I do want to know what Mahomes is not seeing when he throws INTs to defensive linemen. He had like four or five of those this year. That is inexcusable as a QB

Maybe he processes so fast that when he comes off one receiver and starts his move to the next, he doesn't see the threat coming up between himself and his final target.  This loss was on Mahomes poor play in the second half, but it was more so one the staff for not continuing a very successful running game especially when the Bengals were dropping eight.  With this line, how hard would it be to ram it straight ahead and make the defense more honest?  Andy cost the Chiefs a third consecutive trip to the SB.

1 hour ago, jetlord said:

Maybe he processes so fast that when he comes off one receiver and starts his move to the next, he doesn't see the threat coming up between himself and his final target.  This loss was on Mahomes poor play in the second half, but it was more so one the staff for not continuing a very successful running game especially when the Bengals were dropping eight.  With this line, how hard would it be to ram it straight ahead and make the defense more honest?  Andy cost the Chiefs a third consecutive trip to the SB.

Andy did. And it’s time to accept that he will never change. Every time this happens I always say “Well, I hope Andy learned his lesson” Nah, do what you want man. I’m done caring, just get us in the dance like you always do 

49 minutes ago, Docbarnabee said:

This is pretty simple.  The Bengals were getting decent pass rush on him and they had a spy on him as well for the most part.

If he went out of the pocket, the guy comes.   Pair this with the fact they were  dropping 7-8 guys back ,  double covering Hill and Kelce and tight coverage on everyone else.   Pair this with the fact that the Chiefs ran it 9 times in the second half,  while the Bengals dropped 8 45 % of the time.   What the fuck were the Chiefs doing.  You drop 8 into coverage and leave 3 in the box,  you should routinely get 7 yards a pop, if not more.  You simply do that until they can stop it.   The Bengals had not demonstated that all game long. 

Patrick got tight, because nobody was fucking open.  This is on the coaching staff. 

I'm going to agree.....the coaching staff failed to make the necessary adjustments. Should have run it down their throats until they started taking the run game seriously. It never happened. Another blueprint. The first being 2 high safety to take away the explosive plays. Andy and Pat adjusted to it. But this? How do you transition to a run heavy strategy with a coach who refuses to do it? 

By the very nature of his game it seems like Mahomes feels he must scramble in space to make a play. The Bengals adjusted to 8 back in coverage daring the chiefs to run. And Reid kept stubbornly dialing up rpo. 
The fault lies with the play calling I would think. 
Mahomes fell on the sword but Reid and Bienamy deserve a lot of the blame. 

Mahomes reverted back to his Texas Tech days.  It's fun to watch but it isn't always going to win games.

With how hard the Bengals front 4 were coming at him in the 2nd half, and how many dropped back into coverage, if you don't want to run, why not throw some RB screens?  The Packers did that all the time when defenses pressured Favre and dropped into umbrella coverages, and it was damned near unstoppable.

But with all the criticism I'm seeing here, sometimes the other team just plays REALLY well, and the Bengals played really well in the 2nd half of that game.  They easily could have fallen apart down 21-3 but they kept their cool and chipped away series by series.  Their coaching was fantastic.

24 minutes ago, azchief21 said:

Keep hearing that everybody is double & triple covered. There is no reason for Mahomes to leave the pocket here. If he stays. Easy TD to Kelce.

Basically the second Kelce turned his head was the money shot but I don't know how good of a view Mahomes has with 3 guys in front of him. Afterwards it's somewhat questionable as the defense is gunning for that but a bullet from Mahomes would likely get the job done. 

3 minutes ago, sith13 said:

Basically the second Kelce turned his head was the money shot but I don't know how good of a view Mahomes has with 3 guys in front of him. Afterwards it's somewhat questionable as the defense is gunning for that but a bullet from Mahomes would likely get the job done. 

Also if you watch as the LB drifts to Kelce, Pringle comes open. This is a great pocket. 

10 minutes ago, Burpo The Mad Clown said:

Mahomes runs on emotion. He isn’t captain cool like Montana or Brady. He relies on adrenaline and being in the moment with situational awareness. 
That’s his strength but also his weakness. 
It won the Buffalo game and lost the Cincy game. 

I agree with that for the most part. The situational awareness may be a little off. You have a 3 man rush, he should expect to have a clean pocket and time. And he did. If not, then scramble. In fact, the original 3 rushers were taken care of. Brown 1 on 1 the others w/ double team. Mahomes running around in circles allowed the spy to shoot through. 

IMO it comes down to 1st&Goal from the 4-yard line with 1:30 to go in the game and 3 timeouts. You simply try to punch that one in twice with the pro formation and may be worry about a pass on 3rd down if that doesn't work. There's the 1st&Goal from the 1 with 9 seconds to go in the first half. In the end we come up with 3 points in those two and that literally breaths life into the Bengals. 

27 minutes ago, azchief21 said:

I agree with that for the most part. The situational awareness may be a little off. You have a 3 man rush, he should expect to have a clean pocket and time. And he did. If not, then scramble. In fact, the original 3 rushers were taken care of. Brown 1 on 1 the others w/ double team. Mahomes running around in circles allowed the spy to shoot through. 

That’s where his emotionalism got the best of him. It’s what makes him great, it’s also what sometimes screws him up. Maybe he’ll calm down as he matures. No way to know. 

Both.

the guy has had to win every game to start his career. And I mean big games. The defense has never done shit. The immense amount of pressure this guy has been under since day one is crazy. Never had a top 10 defense like Brady. By the way, Brady lost a game in the playoffs up 21-3. To manning. 

Andy has to learn to run the ball when it’s there. Not one time in a row. You have to tell the defense we aren’t afraid to run. Until then, they are going to get 7 or 8 dudes in coverage.

mahomes is 26. Guaranteed he’s watched the video and is already pissed. He has kelce open right away and Pringle got open at the end.  He’s the ultimate competitor and he will correct some things.

Mahomes will learn, I don’t think Andy will. He is who he is.

4 minutes ago, Calichief said:

Both.

the guy has had to win every game to start his career. And I mean big games. The defense has never done shit. The immense amount of pressure this guy has been under since day one is crazy. Never had a top 10 defense like Brady. By the way, Brady lost a game in the playoffs up 21-3. To manning. 

Andy has to learn to run the ball when it’s there. Not one time in a row. You have to tell the defense we aren’t afraid to run. Until then, they are going to get 7 or 8 dudes in coverage.

mahomes is 26. Guaranteed he’s watched the video and is already pissed. He has kelce open right away and Pringle got open at the end.  He’s the ultimate competitor and he will correct some things.

Mahomes will learn, I don’t think Andy will. He is who he is.

Totally agree. Mahomes has carried this team maybe unlike any other QB in recent memory. He's had shitty defenses, shitty O lines, no run game help, questionable play calling. We would not even be talking January football if weren't for him. His pocket awareness and manipulation is a weakness but he's made it work somehow. He's the kind of guy that takes it personal and will work on it. Now, looking at the above play, could you imagine a good old fashioned draw play? Maybe not in this exact down and distance but in that 3 front D?

4 minutes ago, azchief21 said:

Totally agree. Mahomes has carried this team maybe unlike any other QB in recent memory. He's had shitty defenses, shitty O lines, no run game help, questionable play calling. We would not even be talking January football if weren't for him. His pocket awareness and manipulation is a weakness but he's made it work somehow. He's the kind of guy that takes it personal and will work on it. Now, looking at the above play, could you imagine a good old fashioned draw play? Maybe not in this exact down and distance but in that 3 front D?

Mahomes will have to learn to audible to the run plays as well. Manning and Brady were not afraid to hand it off. Pat will learn to lean on others at some point as well.

7 minutes ago, Calichief said:

Mahomes will have to learn to audible to the run plays as well. Manning and Brady were not afraid to hand it off. Pat will learn to lean on others at some point as well.

Interesting point. I heard Manning would get a run and pass play called in and was able to call whichever depending on what he saw on the line. 

7 minutes ago, azchief21 said:

Interesting point. I heard Manning would get a run and pass play called in and was able to call whichever depending on what he saw on the line. 

Well I think its about time for pat to get that kinda freedom.  Hell he's earned it. But Pat is so damn competitive and confident he might call more pass plays than reid!!