Interesting tidbit from the game I heard….

The Bengals played their normal two deep safety looks in the first half on purpose to adjust at half and not give the Chiefs the ability to adjust to their adjustment.   They did the same in the first game.  Instead of adjusting during the first half they rode it out and then made the changes with dropping 8 guys in coverage far more frequently.    

No one goes as crazy or exotic or off script as dc’s facing our O.   That should tell us the level of fear and respect they have for us.   Mahomes is getting a crash course in his first 4 years that probably take most qbs a decade to see.   

He is going to be better for this in the long run.  Get him another weapon, reload some young talent in the draft and cut some dead weight and we are going to dominate next year.   This was our ugly, bad, down year and we made the AFCCG and should have won.  

This team has a bright future.  One bad half isn’t going to close out window!

Well, unless Mahomes audibles and changes formation to under center and hands off to the RB in that scenario, there isn’t any other move. Hard to throw when 3 of five targets are double teamed. Someone should bet Andy a million dollars and a chocolate cake that he cannot get a team to run for 2000 yards. See if he learns.

1 minute ago, Thegoatee said:

Well, unless Mahomes audibles and changes formation to under center and hands off to the RB in that scenario, there isn’t any other move. Hard to throw when 3 of five targets are double teamed. Someone should bet Andy a million dollars and a chocolate cake that he cannot get a team to run for 2000 yards. See if he learns.

I think it’s going to take Mahomes recognizing the need for it for Andy to change.   

Why would the chiefs need a halftime to adjust?  If a couple million watching internet tv could identify that a robber defense could be shredded on the ground, surely a coach with Andy Reid’s experience, resume and reputation could recognize it and adjust in game.  Or our OC that was a pretty good nfl rb.  I mean , what could Reid do in 7 minutes in the locker room that couldn’t be done between possessions while the defense is on the field? 

4 minutes ago, Thegoatee said:

I hope Mahomes has freedom to do that. Tom Brady would feed it to the RB 40 times if it guaranteed a win. I will at least give Brady that credit.

Only way it happens is if they scrap the rpo.  They think that counts as a rush offense.  

Just now, moons314 said:

Only way it happens is if they scrap the rpo.  They think that counts as a rush offense.  

RPO is trash. And they are super scared to let Mahomes run or QB sneak by design after his knee. No one talks about that. That knee injury changed how they use him as a runner. Only scrambles now.

7 minutes ago, moons314 said:

Why would the chiefs need a halftime to adjust?  If a couple million watching internet tv could identify that a robber defense could be shredded on the ground, surely a coach with Andy Reid’s experience, resume and reputation could recognize it and adjust in game.  Or our OC that was a pretty good nfl rb.  I mean , what could Reid do in 7 minutes in the locker room that couldn’t be done between possessions while the defense is on the field? 

This is what I don’t get either. 

19 minutes ago, Thegoatee said:

I hope Mahomes has freedom to do that. Tom Brady would feed it to the RB 40 times if it guaranteed a win. I will at least give Brady that credit.

Did you read Jason Whitlocks article.  About Mahomes talent and how talented players rarely become obsessed with details like the Brady’s do.   Guys who aren’t as talented but take preparation to another level.    Brady would hand it off 100% of the time if it meant they win.   I hope Mahomes learns this earlier than later because with his ability he is one of the few capable of reaching goat status.   Not sure he will get there but he has the tools and ability.

1 hour ago, Lamardirts said:

Did you read Jason Whitlocks article.  About Mahomes talent and how talented players rarely become obsessed with details like the Brady’s do.   Guys who aren’t as talented but take preparation to another level.    Brady would hand it off 100% of the time if it meant they win.   I hope Mahomes learns this earlier than later because with his ability he is one of the few capable of reaching goat status.   Not sure he will get there but he has the tools and ability.

I watched him rant about it. He made some good points, but I've never liked the Brady comparisons a lot of people keep making. It will be very hard for him to reach goat status, if you're counting superbowls. 

The Chiefs should have never gone away from the run to begin with.  Unless they saw 8 in the box,  they should have kept running it until the Bengals stopped it or at least tried to .  I hope this is a hard lesson learned by Reid.  They preach for the quarterback to take what they give you.  I sincerely believe that the guy calling the plays has to adhere to that very same philosophy.  

9 hours ago, Thegoatee said:

RPO is trash. And they are super scared to let Mahomes run or QB sneak by design after his knee. No one talks about that. That knee injury changed how they use him as a runner. Only scrambles now.

I agree.  There is zero risk of Mahomes actually running the ball so why would anyone even think that he will.  If they want to run a RPO send in Bell to do it.

8 hours ago, qnet said:

I watched him rant about it. He made some good points, but I've never liked the Brady comparisons a lot of people keep making. It will be very hard for him to reach goat status, if you're counting superbowls. 

Favre comparisons are much more accurate .. Brett and Mahomes are nearly the same and IMO will have nearly identical careers. Gunslingers be gunslingers

4 hours ago, oldtimer said:

Favre comparisons are much more accurate .. Brett and Mahomes are nearly the same and IMO will have nearly identical careers. Gunslingers be gunslingers

Talent wise ….yes.  Mahomes by far has a better head on his shoulders.  He’s done far more at a younger age.  This was a crash course year.  Sure he reverted back to some bad habits but overall he demolished 2 deep defenses.  This 8 man wrinkle is another chapter in his progression.   He will figure it out, mature as a human (he is still 26).  He could even be the goat if he his coach would push him and protect him from himself.    In all actuality, we act like Mahomes is the 20 year vet sometimes and the HC has 5 years experience.

The fact Andy wouldn’t adjust or call plays to help his frustrated/rattled qb is fireable for anyone not as good generally speaking as Andy.   

3 hours ago, oldtimer said:

I hope not either but look at all the HOF qbs that have  multiple SB appearances but only 1 or 2 SB wins some zero wins

We are a fg away from Mahomes going to 3 out of 4.   Y’all think that window is over?  Dude is just getting started.   This was a rebuild/retool year and it took COVID to screw the cap and prohibit us from adding a legit to pair with Mahomes (we tried).   Juju screwed up last off-season and would have made himself a crap ton of money here with what we faced and needing a player just like him.  

Future is bright!  Mahomes is a different cat.  This will eat at him all off season and he will be so much better for this season in the long run!

15 hours ago, moons314 said:

Need to get rid of it asap. When you gave Brady a 2-score lead all you got was runs with snaps under center and play action all game long which always works as long as your QB can do a good analysis. 

It's somewhat overlooked but our OL has been really dominant in run blocking but we barely utilized it all year long and only found success whenever we focused on it. 

15 hours ago, Lamardirts said:

The Bengals played their normal two deep safety looks in the first half on purpose to adjust at half and not give the Chiefs the ability to adjust to their adjustment.   They did the same in the first game.  Instead of adjusting during the first half they rode it out and then made the changes with dropping 8 guys in coverage far more frequently.    

No one goes as crazy or exotic or off script as dc’s facing our O.   That should tell us the level of fear and respect they have for us.   Mahomes is getting a crash course in his first 4 years that probably take most qbs a decade to see.   

He is going to be better for this in the long run.  Get him another weapon, reload some young talent in the draft and cut some dead weight and we are going to dominate next year.   This was our ugly, bad, down year and we made the AFCCG and should have won.  

This team has a bright future.  One bad half isn’t going to close out window!

Oh and run the football.

8 hours ago, oldtimer said:

Hope that doesn't happen, but I can see that. We may never know, but he seems more coachable and will listen if Reid talks to him. Favre seemed like he wouldn't and it took a strong presence like Holmgren to reel him in.  All the coaches after Holmgren didn't seem to hold him accountable. 

I just want Patrick to be himself, and not have to live up getting seven SB's like Brady. That's were I was coming from. 

10 hours ago, oldtimer said:

Not nearly the same except the gunslinger mentality.  Favre's third year as a starter he asked the backup, in all seriousness, what a nickel defense was.  Patrick already plays at an advanced level in identifying defenses pre and post snap.

36 minutes ago, xen said:

Not nearly the same except the gunslinger mentality.  Favre's third year as a starter he asked the backup, in all seriousness, what a nickel defense was.  Patrick already plays at an advanced level in identifying defenses pre and post snap.

Hopefully he will get some more freedom and audible to some run plays. Learn to take what’s there. But that has to start with the coaches.

The bengals were playing against the nfl script that the chiefs need to take notes on in the playoffs.

they saved their best defensive look for the 2nd half and hoped they wouldn’t have to make too large of a comeback.

the chiefs try to blitz out to massive leads, the problem is the nfl wont allow that, the refs are under instruction to keep the game close in the first half for tv ratings purposes.

so while the chiefs played well enough to be up by 28 points at half, they were only up 11 and left no surprises to unleash later on.