Interesting tidbit from the game I heard….

21 hours ago, DefensiveMan said:

This team wasn't ready to win it all this year. Next year Chiefs will reload, time for a few philosophy changes. They'll be better for years to come. Need a solid #2 receiver, safety who can come up and hit, corner, and D End. 

We need 1.5 DE’s … one stud & one decent back up.  They also need to re-sign Ingram.

51 minutes ago, Obi Won Mahome said:

We need 1.5 DE’s … one stud & one decent back up.  They also need to re-sign Ingram.

Kaindoh and Joe Jackson could be that .5. 
Jackson was picked up and put on the PS at the end of the year. 

Kaindoh is our rookie that got hurt

On 1/31/2022 at 8:29 PM, Thegoatee said:

Well, unless Mahomes audibles and changes formation to under center and hands off to the RB in that scenario, there isn’t any other move. Hard to throw when 3 of five targets are double teamed. Someone should bet Andy a million dollars and a chocolate cake that he cannot get a team to run for 2000 yards. See if he learns.

Are you sure the million dollars is necessary? I hate to be a cheapskate, but if he’ll do it for the cake, why pay more? 🤷🏻‍♂️

Back to the initial post... on what the fuck happened in that 2nd half:

WHAT CHANGED? At first, it looked like the Bengals were going to get run off the field by the Kansas City Chiefs in the AFC title game.

The Chiefs hopped out to a quick 21-3 lead by the end of the second quarter and didn't seem to be slowing down. The Bengals couldn't seem to do anything to stop Kansas City. Eli Apple, in particular, got absolutely toasted multiple times and the Chiefs' receivers were just running free downfield.

And then it switched. Kansas City totaled just 83 yards in the second half and overtime, including just *16 passing yards* from Patrick Mahomes. The Chiefs went from looking unstoppable to getting absolutely shut down. Apple went from getting toasted to offering Tyreke Hill and Mecole Hardman Super Bowl tickets.

It was absurd to watch, but according to Apple, the comeback was actually pretty simple: the Bengals knew what Kansas City was going to run, and they were pissed.

“They got cocky. They wanted to pass. They wanted Mahomes to have the ball in his hands to get rid of us. We knew the concepts that were coming at us. Before the snap, we had a tell of what they were going to do, and then it was about beating their guys to that spot and competing for the ball. And our D-Line played really great in making sure he wasn’t comfortable in the pocket when he was trying to scramble and stuff. They’re one of those teams that knows what they want to do. Especially when they’re in dropback mode. There’s only so many things they can do with different sets. It’s just about their athletes being fast and our athletes being fast, too. Who can keep up with who?”

The Bengals players absolutely took their celebrating into consideration through the comeback. Hardman’s dance, especially.

“They f----- up,” Apple says. “Any time anybody does that, it makes you mad as a defense. It makes you want to clean up stuff and make sure they don’t do that anymore. And they didn’t. After the touchdown they got on me, when I didn’t run to make that play on the pick — the pick-flat play — ‘17’ started hitting the ‘quan.’ I was like, ‘Yeah, it’s over. We can’t let that happen anymore.’

“Once you start getting stops, it’s like ‘You all f----d up.’ And they knew it.”

11 minutes ago, mex said:

WHAT CHANGED? At first, it looked like the Bengals were going to get run off the field by the Kansas City Chiefs in the AFC title game.

The Chiefs hopped out to a quick 21-3 lead by the end of the second quarter and didn't seem to be slowing down. The Bengals couldn't seem to do anything to stop Kansas City. Eli Apple, in particular, got absolutely toasted multiple times and the Chiefs' receivers were just running free downfield.

And then it switched. Kansas City totaled just 83 yards in the second half and overtime, including just *16 passing yards* from Patrick Mahomes. The Chiefs went from looking unstoppable to getting absolutely shut down. Apple went from getting toasted to offering Tyreke Hill and Mecole Hardman Super Bowl tickets.

It was absurd to watch, but according to Apple, the comeback was actually pretty simple: the Bengals knew what Kansas City was going to run, and they were pissed.

“They got cocky. They wanted to pass. They wanted Mahomes to have the ball in his hands to get rid of us. We knew the concepts that were coming at us. Before the snap, we had a tell of what they were going to do, and then it was about beating their guys to that spot and competing for the ball. And our D-Line played really great in making sure he wasn’t comfortable in the pocket when he was trying to scramble and stuff. They’re one of those teams that knows what they want to do. Especially when they’re in dropback mode. There’s only so many things they can do with different sets. It’s just about their athletes being fast and our athletes being fast, too. Who can keep up with who?”

The Bengals players absolutely took their celebrating into consideration through the comeback. Hardman’s dance, especially.

“They f----- up,” Apple says. “Any time anybody does that, it makes you mad as a defense. It makes you want to clean up stuff and make sure they don’t do that anymore. And they didn’t. After the touchdown they got on me, when I didn’t run to make that play on the pick — the pick-flat play — ‘17’ started hitting the ‘quan.’ I was like, ‘Yeah, it’s over. We can’t let that happen anymore.’

“Once you start getting stops, it’s like ‘You all f----d up.’ And they knew it.”

This is what I posted in the other thread.

2 years in a row kc forced their offense and the other team knew. And then laughed about it later 

14 minutes ago, Calichief said:

2 years in a row kc forced their offense and the other team knew. And then laughed about it later 

Yup. It didn't take a rocket scientist to see what they were doing. They absolutely dared the chiefs to run the ball. Not dink and donk, but run the ball. And we told them to shove it, were gonna pass, and YOU"RE GONNA LIKE IT!

And they did LIKE IT....All the way to the super bowl.

43 minutes ago, Calichief said:

Hill (and Hardman) need to quit being little bitches... two years in a row they been shut down in big games after talking shit.

For the love of God, we know you're good... keep your fucking mouths shut and act like you've been there.

11 hours ago, mex said:

If this were 100% true and it were a different team, I would like what happened, but it sucks when it’s on our team. But with everything it’s not 100% true as far as what the players wanted to do as opposed to what the coaches called, and even then, it seemed like the coaches would call that not because they wanted to impose their will alone but rather that’s what they’ve always done and as often failed at. Reid also did not run when he had quarterbacks/offenses/personalities unlike Mahomes/offenses/Hadrmin-Hill.

On 1/31/2022 at 9:39 PM, Thegoatee said:

RPO is trash. And they are super scared to let Mahomes run or QB sneak by design after his knee. No one talks about that. That knee injury changed how they use him as a runner. Only scrambles now.

This does make me laugh...  because its right...

The guy suffers a freak accident and they literally haven't let him QB sneak ever since.  I don't I've ever seen a player in this history of college or pro football dislocate a knee and never be given the exact same expectations when he returned.  I mean, how many QB sneaks had he done in his life before that one?  

That's one of those things that really makes absolutely no sense to me

4 hours ago, oldtimer said:

there are types of 3 coach's

A.  The Run opens up the passing game

B. The pass opens up the run game

C. The pass is part of the run game

We got  #3 and he aint gonna change. We could have Earl Campbell 2.0 and it wouldn't matter

#3 has been that a part of the NFL since the WCO came into vogue with Walsh.  How many superbowls has that offense or its derivatives won?

23 minutes ago, xen said:

#3 has been that a part of the NFL since the WCO came into vogue with Walsh.  How many superbowls has that offense or its derivatives won?

and how many of those teams had an above average RB?.

My post was more to the fact that ANDY being #3 all this  hair pulling out  dont matter ol Andy like's his burgers a certain way  and he likes his game plan a certain way  bottom line "it is what it is".

21 hours ago, xen said:

In fairness they did commit to the run during those 5 Super Bowls with Craig, rathman , watters, and others. But they were no doubt, pass first. Those coaches weren’t afraid to run. 

I do think they learned this time. Mahomes is so smart. He’ll see his errors, and that the run was there.

and I agree with you in our other chat, with this line, it’s time for some power running.

The WCO was created by Walsh when he was an assistant in Cincinnati under Paul Brown. From my understanding, they needed the short passing game in place of a running game they didn't have. I'm not sure if it was because of the lack of talent at RB or the oline. 

I'm not exactly sure what the Chiefs run. I know it's some version of the WCO, but I don't remember hearing so much about the RPO before Mahomes took over.  

7 hours ago, qnet said:

The WCO was created by Walsh when he was an assistant in Cincinnati under Paul Brown. From my understanding, they needed the short passing game in place of a running game they didn't have. I'm not sure if it was because of the lack of talent at RB or the oline. 

I'm not exactly sure what the Chiefs run. I know it's some version of the WCO, but I don't remember hearing so much about the RPO before Mahomes took over.  

At this point it's a hybrid offense but the base is WCO with spread and rpo concepts built in.  Don't know what you would call it but Bill Walsh would still recognize a lot of it.

11 hours ago, Calichief said:

In fairness they did commit to the run during those 5 Super Bowls with Craig, rathman , watters, and others. But they were no doubt, pass first. Those coaches weren’t afraid to run. 

I do think they learned this time. Mahomes is so smart. Hell see his errors, and that the run was there.

and I agree with you in our other chat, with this line, it’s time for some power running.

I don’t know how I feel about Hell watching over Mahomes. 

Yes, run the ball more. Mahomes needs to learn to play under center. We actually have the backs and line to be very good at that type of game. 

But our defense still can't knock down a tackling dummy. Their tackling is for shit!

That side of the ball needs BIG changes. If Veech pulls that off in one offseason like the o-line, then I'll be truly impressed.

On 2/10/2022 at 12:55 PM, xen said:

Well, Andy Reid is ultimately from the Bill Walsh coaching tree.  Problem is, he's apparently smarter than all of those that came before him who used short passes as part of the run, instead of the short passes being the only run game.  Not running the ball is no different than a passing game not using the deep quarters or the flats, it's all another part of the field that has to be defended.  Between the tackles is like the DMZ apparently.