Addition by subtraction

My greatest concern entering the off-season is not poor drafting,  failure to be aggressive in free agency,  or letting key current players slip away. My greatest fear is excessive "loyalty" making us retain players that should be shown the door. 

Veach has already declared his intention to retain both Brown and HB. I have no problem with committing to Brown long term. I think he is already almost as good as Fisher,  and I  think he can keep our QB safe. However,  regardless of HB's flexibility of play and leadership abilities, our defense is unacceptably porous. Granted,  that may be more Spags, etc. than HB, but nevertheless he is the "face" of the defense and that face has to change,  to say nothing of his price tag being too much for value received. 

Plenty of others need to go,  also. Obviously, Neiman is a wasted roster spot. "Dirty Dan" has his big moments but they don't outweigh his routine performance. Hitch can go,  too.  His best days are behind him and he just needs to make way for young up and comers like Bolton and Gay. DOD could go with little notice and Watts has had enough time already,  too. Clark simply is not worth his price tag. Gotta go. I would keep Ingram and Reed for one more year. 

On the other side, Demarcus Robinson should emphatically go, making a spot for a real #2. RT is still an issue since Niang seems too brittle. I actually like all the RBs,  but that doesn't matter anyway as long as Reid is around. Noah Gray has shown nothing yet, but could have another year to show he has more upside than the BellDozer. 

So, my long list of subtraction is HB, Clark, Ben,  Dan, DOD,  Watts, Hitchens, and DRob. That sounds like a lot,  but it's not really a rebuild. One major replacement at each level of the defense. Overall,  perhaps easier than replacing the entire offensive line like last year.   Okay,  fire away! 

4 hours ago, AlwaysChiefs said:

My greatest concern entering the off-season is not poor drafting,  failure to be aggressive in free agency,  or letting key current players slip away. My greatest fear is excessive "loyalty" making us retain players that should be shown the door. 

Veach has already declared his intention to retain both Brown and HB. I have no problem with committing to Brown long term. I think he is already almost as good as Fisher,  and I  think he can keep our QB safe. However,  regardless of HB's flexibility of play and leadership abilities, our defense is unacceptably porous. Granted,  that may be more Spags, etc. than HB, but nevertheless he is the "face" of the defense and that face has to change,  to say nothing of his price tag being too much for value received. 

Plenty of others need to go,  also. Obviously, Neiman is a wasted roster spot. "Dirty Dan" has his big moments but they don't outweigh his routine performance. Hitch can go,  too.  His best days are behind him and he just needs to make way for young up and comers like Bolton and Gay. DOD could go with little notice and Watts has had enough time already,  too. Clark simply is not worth his price tag. Gotta go. I would keep Ingram and Reed for one more year. 

On the other side, Demarcus Robinson should emphatically go, making a spot for a real #2. RT is still an issue since Niang seems too brittle. I actually like all the RBs,  but that doesn't matter anyway as long as Reid is around. Noah Gray has shown nothing yet, but could have another year to show he has more upside than the BellDozer. 

So, my long list of subtraction is HB, Clark, Ben,  Dan, DOD,  Watts, Hitchens, and DRob. That sounds like a lot,  but it's not really a rebuild. One major replacement at each level of the defense. Overall,  perhaps easier than replacing the entire offensive line like last year.   Okay,  fire away! 

Veach didn't declare his intention to retain Matthieu. He did with Brown. He outright said "we will get him done."

With Badger he used a lot of GM speak. He said he loves playing here and we love having him here. But he didn't say anything definitive at all, and not with nearly the same degree of certainty in which he addressed the Brown extension. 

https://youtu.be/hLV_s-e4BtQ

3 hours ago, Iluvhouse24 said:

Veach didn't declare his intention to retain Matthieu. He did with Brown. He outright said "we will get him done."

With Badger he used a lot of GM speak. He said he loves playing here and we love having him here. But he didn't say anything definitive at all, and not with nearly the same degree of certainty in which he addressed the Brown extension. 

Matthieu loves playing here. KC is his home and the team are his brothers.  He loves the fans and knows no other he would love more.  And if he doesn't get top dollar at 30, he'll be proclaiming his love for whatever team is willing to pay him whatever he demands to compensate him for all this love. 

1 hour ago, SarcasticOne said:

Matthieu loves playing here. KC is his home and the team are his brothers.  He loves the fans and knows no other he would love more.  And if he doesn't get top dollar at 30, he'll be proclaiming his love for whatever team is willing to pay him whatever he demands to compensate him for all this love. 

So you're saying he'll be playing for the Ravens next year.

7 hours ago, Iluvhouse24 said:

Yeah, I also think it's more like a statement with Brown whereas wishful thinking with HB. 

48 minutes ago, mex said:

Analyzing our issues this season.... I'm pretty sure this is an important issue that must be addressed:

I thought we did a good job of pressuring the QB in the second half of the season. May not have the sacks to back it up but the defense found some nice rhythm. Reverted back to the first half of the season in the playoffs though, so could be an opponent thing.   

12 minutes ago, Iluvhouse24 said:

Just came to post this myself. Veach pretty much said he intends to attack d-line the same way he did o-line last offseason.

ok then I understand DE  is deep in this draft but who wil be there with #30 or #60 OOOOOR do we smell a trade up?

58 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

ok then I understand DE  is deep in this draft but who wil be there with #30 or #60 OOOOOR do we smell a trade up?

I think it's deep enough to get a guy that contributes day 1 at 30. But we all know Veach is super aggressive and having that new compensatory third rounder could allow us to move up a few spots in Round 1 if he's worried his guy won't make it to 30.

But it's also like you said...if they don't resign Badger, safety moves up close to the top the list of priorities. It's not a deep safety class, but that doesn't mean there isn't one we like around that 30 spot.

I think this defensive line may get 3 of the 5 picks we have in the first 4 rounds. It's really the only way we can stay where we need to be cap wise and still spend what we need to keep our offense lethal. 

The defense is the side where we need the infusion of youth and speed anyway. Go extend McKinnon and Darrel Williams and sign a solid X receiver who can't be stopped on 3rd downs. Then dump all the rest of your resources into defense. We will go into next season as SB favorites again. 

1 hour ago, Iluvhouse24 said:

I think it's deep enough to get a guy that contributes day 1 at 30. But we all know Veach is super aggressive and having that new compensatory third rounder could allow us to move up a few spots in Round 1 if he's worried his guy won't make it to 30.

But it's also like you said...if they don't resign Badger, safety moves up close to the top the list of priorities. It's not a deep safety class, but that doesn't mean there isn't one we like around that 30 spot.

I think this defensive line may get 3 of the 5 picks we have in the first 4 rounds. It's really the only way we can stay where we need to be cap wise and still spend what we need to keep our offense lethal. 

The defense is the side where we need the infusion of youth and speed anyway. Go extend McKinnon and Darrel Williams and sign a solid X receiver who can't be stopped on 3rd downs. Then dump all the rest of your resources into defense. We will go into next season as SB favorites again. 

yea, yea!!

I like your strategy!!

10 minutes ago, jetlord said:

A compensatory third round pick would move the Chiefs up about five or six notches in the first round.  I'd rather keep the third and fill more needs rather than taking a chance on a slightly higher rated DE.

I agree, we need as many cheap quality draft picks to fill out our roster. Every year I think we will have an area that will be a liability. Personally, I'd rather use our 1st to shore up WR so the offense can stay a strength and resign McKinnon. Also, run the damn ball. Lol

1 minute ago, Biggjliv4 said:

I agree, we need as many cheap quality draft picks to fill out our roster. Every year I think we will have an area that will be a liability. Personally, I'd rather use our 1st to shore up WR so the offense can stay a strength and resign McKinnon. Also, run the damn ball. Lol

Might bring in JuJu, but WR isn't as big of a need as DE, CB, or probably S in my book.  While a big, possession receiver would do much for the offense, Pringle and Harding along with Fortson can keep the scoring up while a lack of pass rush or pass defenses will cost the team more games.  JMHO

7 minutes ago, jetlord said:

Might bring in JuJu, but WR isn't as big of a need as DE, CB, or probably S in my book.  While a big, possession receiver would do much for the offense, Pringle and Harding along with Fortson can keep the scoring up while a lack of pass rush or pass defenses will cost the team more games.  JMHO

Yup, I agree. A "real" DE with the first pick would be awesome! 

35 minutes ago, artsy said:

Yup, I agree. A "real" DE with the first pick would be awesome! 

The depth at DE in this draft is simply a good reason to add another guy later on but a solid DE that can set the edge and rush the passer is the #1 need at this point.

2 hours ago, jetlord said:

A compensatory third round pick would move the Chiefs up about five or six notches in the first round.  I'd rather keep the third and fill more needs rather than taking a chance on a slightly higher rated DE.

This.  Rounds 2 and 3 are more important than the first imo.  These are where we find guys like Bolton and Gay.  This team is now in a position where it needs to stock and use all of its picks to churn the roster, not trade them away.  We have long term stability at the most important positions, which in my mind means we now use the Patriot model of roster comp, stockpiling picks and signing middle tier free agents.  I'll be very disappointed if we trade a bunch of picks to move up. 

5 hours ago, oldtimer said:

I think a guy like Boye Mafe in round 2 would be good. 

don’t forget Kaindoh coming back. And maybe e get depth from the joe Jackson signing we made at the end of the year

3 hours ago, jetlord said:

WR is not as 'big' a need as DE CB or S, but all that depends on who's on the board at the time. BPA is still a factor whether we like it or not.

Personally, I'd love to see Chris Olave available in the 3rd rd. Garrett Wilson is getting all the hype, and deservedly so, but Olave will be under everyone's radar. He's a solid possession receiver and YAC guy that Patrick could turn into an immediate all-pro. JMBO, of course.

1 minute ago, mex said:

WR is not as 'big' a need as DE CB or S, but all that depends on who's on the board at the time. BPA is still a factor whether we like it or not.

Personally, I'd love to see Chris Olave available in the 3rd rd. Garrett Wilson is getting all the hype, and deservedly so, but Olave will be under everyone's radar. He's a solid possession receiver and YAC guy that Patrick could turn into an immediate all-pro. JMBO, of course.

Olave is not that far under the radar bro.  Unless he's seriously injured or tanks his testing hard or shows up at the combine on heroin, he won't be there in the third.  Will have to see the testing first but he may be the best all around wr in this class.

Just now, xen said:

Olave is not that far under the radar bro.  Unless he's seriously injured or tanks his testing hard or shows up at the combine on heroin, he won't be there in the third.  Will have to see the testing first but he may be the best all around wr in this class.

I tend to agree... just curious where have you been seeing him in mocks? I know Wilson and several other receivers have been consistently rated above him.

It boils down to how many teams are looking for WRs early. My guess is we might be surprised how far he slips because everyone looks for QB, CB, DE, and LT early and often.

6 hours ago, Palangi said:

I think a guy like Boye Mafe in round 2 would be good. 

don’t forget Kaindoh coming back. And maybe e get depth from the joe Jackson signing we made at the end of the year

Did you see the Chiefs signed Roderick Johnson to a futures deal? That OT we were both talking about last offseason. Could be some competition for RT.