With the 30th pick in the 2022 draft, the Kansas City Chiefs select...

reesebobby

Chiefs Wire

Chiefs improve defense, add weapon in latest Draft Wire 3-round mock draft

Charles Goldman
Wed, February 2, 2022, 1:56 PM

c4e0d444b218a877c84c897cb88a2a7d

The Kansas City Chiefs are hard at work on draft preparations already, with scouts in attendance at both the East-West Shrine Bowl and the Senior Bowl this week. They’ll continue gathering information to help the team make the best additions possible in the upcoming 2022 NFL draft in April.

With the Chiefs’ season coming to an end, we’ll be focusing more and more on the draft in the coming weeks, but our friends at Draft Wire have already been hard at work. They released their latest three-round mock draft, shortly after the conclusion of the divisional round of the playoffs.

In this mock draft, they managed to hit on some of the biggest needs for Kansas City in this draft, adding defensive line help early, plus a weapon for Patrick Mahomes and some help in the secondary. Keep in mind, the NFL won’t publish an official draft order with compensatory picks until after Super Bowl LVI, so this draft won’t include the extra third-round pick that the Chiefs are projected to receive for losing Ryan Poles to the Chicago Bears.

All that said, here’s a look at the latest mock draft from Draft Wire:

Round 1: Cincinnati DE Myjai Sanders

248994b26a18a0cb1be4afdc3484462e

Kareem Elgazzar-USA TODAY NETWORK

Chiefs GM Brett Veach already confirmed that the defensive line will be a big emphasis for Kansas City this offseason. Getting more edge rush help seems like a good place to start and Cincinnati DE Myjai Sanders is certainly one of the top players at the position in this draft class.

Here is what Draft Wire’s Luke Easterling had to say about his decision to select Sanders for Kansas City:

“This defense is at its best when Chris Jones is able to work inside, and the Chiefs can rely on others to get pressure off the edge. Sanders has a fantastic combination of size, length, power and athleticism, giving him a sky-high ceiling.”

The 6-5 and 258-pound edge rusher has long arms, a natural bend, ankle flexion and an explosive first step. He’s been extremely productive with, 119 tackles, 24.5 tackles-for-loss, 13.5 sacks, 12 passes defended, a forced fumble and a fumble recovery in the ACC over the past four seasons.

There is some question about whether Sanders would be a scheme fit in Kansas City. That said, it’s clear this is an area where they need improvements.

Round 2: Clemson WR Justyn Ross

fc4c69d32a5d64910c69ce70b7062b46

Kirby Lee-USA TODAY Sports

As a freshman at Clemson in 2018, Ross exploded as a dynamic playmaker in the Tigers’ offense. The 6-4 and 205-pound wideout averaged 21.7 yards per reception on just 46 catches. He’d finish his career at Clemson with 158 catches for 2,379 yards and 20 touchdowns.

The big question about Ross is his medical history. He missed his entire junior season after undergoing a congenital fusion on his spine, repairing two fused vertebrae and a bulging disc. He’ll need to be cleared at the NFL Scouting Combine by the training staff in Kansas City for this to be a draft pick they’d consider.

Round 3: Missouri CB Akayleb Evans

5b8e52704e5514fc2c2a7f213071f8f6

AP Photo/Mark Humphrey

Evans started his career at Tulsa before transferring to Mizzou as a senior in 2021. Listed at 6-2 and 188 pounds, Evans has the makings of a press man corner at the next level. He’s the type of guy who could come in and replace a player like Charvarius Ward who is slated to hit unrestricted free agency. Evans is already turning heads in Senior Bowl practice with his physicality, so expect his stock to rise throughout the pre-draft process.

6 hours ago, Iluvhouse24 said:

I don't think Johnson is gonna make it to us. He's now dominating at the Senior Bowl practices. He will test well too. 

Yeah but they announced this draft is gonna be like dirty santa.  Every pick can be stolen once.

2 hours ago, Iluvhouse24 said:

Like ahead of Karlaftis?

It's still early in the process obviously but I think so.  he put on a show.  We'll see how they test but he was dominant this year and then showed it again in practice.  Would not surprise me if he goes high.

7 hours ago, Palangi said:

I think George could sneak into round 1. If he shows healthy and ready at the combine. He has round 1 talent. 

I like him but with his weight amd injury history there will be legitimate concerns about how he'll hold up as an X.  He's not a slot and you'll have to scheme releases at the NFL level until he eats a few sammiches.   That screams day 2 to me if you're gonna play him at X where he belongs.  Really nice player though.  I like him in our system

8 minutes ago, sith13 said:

After reading about the Senior Bowl I think Boye Mafe from Minnesota is a solid target for us with #30. 6-4 265, basically the size Spags likes and looks to have dominated quite a bit of guys in the game. 

Boye got good hand usage and a very good burst too

2 hours ago, xen said:

I like him but with his weight amd injury history there will be legitimate concerns about how he'll hold up as an X.  He's not a slot and you'll have to scheme releases at the NFL level until he eats a few sammiches.   That screams day 2 to me if you're gonna play him at X where he belongs.  Really nice player though.  I like him in our system

With all the rule changes and not touching WR I think Pickens would be ok. He is 200 lbs. 

i think he is a fringe 1st round guy too. But there is a lot of potential for him. The ACL is scary but becoming so much more common and players are coming back just as good from it now. But definitely should be looked at

1 hour ago, Palangi said:

With all the rule changes and not touching WR I think Pickens would be ok. He is 200 lbs. 

i think he is a fringe 1st round guy too. But there is a lot of potential for him. The ACL is scary but becoming so much more common and players are coming back just as good from it now. But definitely should be looked at

Sure but as soon as teams figure out you can't get off press with strength or hand usage you'll be pressed constantly.  In a timing based offense like ours that's not good.  What I like about him is if he does get release he gets good separation after that and has a nice catch radius.  But those first 5 yards are a killer.  Dude has to get in a weight room