With the 30th pick in the 2022 draft, the Kansas City Chiefs select...

reesebobby

9 hours ago, jetlord said:

With the needs at DE and CB, if the Chiefs draft a WR at #30, my head will explode. 

Depends what they do in FA, I guess.  I think it is imperative that they get a legit #2 receiver and if that is at 30, then so be it.

9 hours ago, jetlord said:

With the needs at DE and CB, if the Chiefs draft a WR at #30, my head will explode. 

Well if Ward is resigned is corner a big of a need? Ward, Sneed, Fenton. That’s your starter already. 

at DE it is a deep draft. I don’t think Jermaine Johnson will be there for us anymore. Grabbing a guy like Boye Mafe in round two euros be better than a Maija Sanders in round 1. Plus don’t forget we can resign Ingram and have Danna, Kaindoh, Joe Jackson, and Malik Herring. That doesn’t even account for FA. Herring would have been a draft pick has it not been for injury. And now he will be fully healthy. 

so if a Jameson Williams falls to us I wouldn’t hesitate to take him. Or Burkes. 

My thoughts are BPA, if a Deebo Samuel clone fell to number 30, I'd think he'd be a hell of a lot more impact full than a DE or CB. It's a scoring league and our D is more than a player away from making it elite whereas our O will always make us a contender. Won't be upset as long as don't reach for whoever we pick.

2 hours ago, Palangi said:

Well if Ward is resigned is corner a big of a need? Ward, Sneed, Fenton. That’s your starter already. 

Our pass defense was like 27th in the league.  And while that's not all on the corners, it partly is.  One could argue that they would have benefited from more pass rush, but you can also argue that our pass rushers could benefit from better coverage.  

On 2/6/2022 at 7:53 PM, Palangi said:

George Pickens 6’4” 200 WR Georgia. 

big time talent. Runs good routes. Will run in the 4.4s. Will be two years removed from his ACL. Has very sticky hands. Plays with an attitude

He is a nasty wr.   I like Metchie as well.   Not as big or nasty but a better route runner.  

I like reading what other 'experts' say too. Learn from what you all say and then of course learn why these people think it will be their possible pick. Until FA is over, hard to know what direction we may be looking.

https://www.arrowheadpride.com/2022/2/8/22923592/2022-kansas-city-chiefs-early-mock-drafts-jahan-dotson-cameron-thomas-daxton-hill-and-more

The NFL’s Mock Draft Season typically starts just before the regular season ends. It’s just that some teams — for example, the Kansas City Chiefs — don’t finish their seasons for a little while after that. While the Chiefs didn’t play as far into the postseason as many expected, their season is now over — and it’s time to start thinking about which players Kansas City might select with the 30th pick in the 2022 NFL Draft.

Let’s start our 2022 mock draft coverage with a roundup of what some national writers have said about what the Chiefs will do.

Todd McShay, ESPN, December 14

29. Kansas City Chiefs: WR Jahan Dotson, Penn State

Dotson is undersized at 5-foot-11 and 184 pounds, but he is fast, crafty and sure-handed. Sound like anyone in the NFL? Kansas City has had plenty of success with 5-foot-10, 185-pound burner Tyreek Hill. The only Chiefs receivers currently signed past this season are Hill and Mecole Hardman, and considering the offensive drop-off this year, they could certainly look to replenish Patrick Mahomes’ arsenal. Dotson caught 91 passes for 1,182 yards and 12 scores this season.

Additionally, the offensive line rebuild has worked — the Chiefs have the league’s third-highest pass block win rate (67.5%) — but depth could be a problem going into 2022. Ohio State’s Nicholas Petit-Frere or Central Michigan’s Bernhard Raimann should get a closer look.

Mel Kiper, ESPN, January 19

29. Kansas City Chiefs: DE Cameron Thomas, San Diego State

The Chiefs fixed their offensive line last offseason, but they still have issues on the other side of the ball. They ranked 30th in the NFL in yards per play allowed (5.9) and 31st in rushing yards allowed per carry (4.8) this season. They also had just 31 sacks, which ranked 29th. This is a defensive line that could use an infusion of young talent.

I like Thomas a lot because of his versatility — he lined up at both tackle and end for the Aztecs and created havoc at both spots. He had 11.5 sacks and a whopping 27 total tackles for loss in 2021. He’s powerful in the run game and has some bend as a pass-rusher. He’d be a menace for offensive tackles if he lined up next to Chris Jones.

Daniel Jeremiah (1.0), NFL.com, January 21

30. Kansas City Chiefs: WR Jameson Williams, Alabama

This just seems too perfect to not happen. Williams will slide after tearing his ACL in the College Football Playoff National Championship. God help the rest of the AFC if this speed merchant lands with Patrick Mahomes.

Chris Trapasso, CBS Sports, February 6

30. Kansas City Chiefs: EDGE Jermaine Johnson II, Florida State

Kansas City needs more youth and talent at the edge-rusher position. Johnson is a long, powerful rusher who had a huge 2021 with 17.5 tackles for loss and 11.5 sacks.

Ryan Wilson, CBS Sports, February 7

30. Kansas City Chiefs: CB Daxton Hill, Michigan

Hill is part of a Wolverines defense that could end up seeing three players go in Round 1 next spring. He’s underrated nationally, but watch him play and it becomes clear pretty quickly that he’s in the running for one of the best defensive backs in this class. He’s listed as a safety but can line up anywhere, and in Kansas City, the only defensive backs with experience under contract for next season are Juan Thornhill, Rashad Fenton and L’Jarius Sneed.

Joe Marino, The Draft Network, February 7

30. Kansas City Chiefs: S Daxton Hill, Michigan

With the edge rushers snatched up, the Kansas City Chiefs can turn their attention to the secondary. In this scenario, they land the top safety on the board, which is a critical need if Tyrann Mathieu isn’t back.

Daxton Hill is a versatile defender that is reminiscent of Darnell Savage. He is an outstanding athlete that is physical with good ball skills. He can play in deep zones, man coverage from the slot, and be that “rat in the hole” defender for Kansas City that made Mathieu so impactful.

On 2/8/2022 at 7:15 PM, xen said:

If Jameson Williams falls he's my guy.

I lean ore toward London or Burks, big guys that can fight for the ball.  The Chiefs have two speedsters already so the big possession guy would seem to round out the WR room.  Whomever the Chiefs use as a WR3 won't play much next season unless it's a free agent.  Reid just doesn't throw rookie WRs into the mix in his complex system that much.  That's a main reason I think a DE or CB is more valuable at #1.  The Chiefs are at a peak with an opportunity to win every year now.  Scoring isn't the problem in most games (unless it's the second half of an AFCCG).  Stopping Diggs, Chase, HIggins, etc. should be a top priority.  

On 2/8/2022 at 8:15 PM, Biggjliv4 said:

My thoughts are BPA, if a Deebo Samuel clone fell to number 30, I'd think he'd be a hell of a lot more impact full than a DE or CB. It's a scoring league and our D is more than a player away from making it elite whereas our O will always make us a contender. Won't be upset as long as don't reach for whoever we pick.

We would likely wait for that Deebo Samuel clone to learn this playbook for 2 years before having any impact. Any early investment in a WR would be a waste as we have seen for years. 

Arguably both Hill and Hardman are Deebo Samuel clones but in reality it's just a matter of using a player with specific skill set in a hybrid role. Tried that with DMC and then with DAT only to have both guys fail. Reid can experiment with both Hill and Hardman instead of wasting a pick IMO and add a real WR via FA.

17 hours ago, jetlord said:

I lean ore toward London or Burks, big guys that can fight for the ball.  The Chiefs have two speedsters already so the big possession guy would seem to round out the WR room.  Whomever the Chiefs use as a WR3 won't play much next season unless it's a free agent.  Reid just doesn't throw rookie WRs into the mix in his complex system that much.  That's a main reason I think a DE or CB is more valuable at #1.  The Chiefs are at a peak with an opportunity to win every year now.  Scoring isn't the problem in most games (unless it's the second half of an AFCCG).  Stopping Diggs, Chase, HIggins, etc. should be a top priority.  

Of course defense should be a priority, but I'm old enough to remember when having an X who could consistently beat press in the playoffs made our offense a beast and won us a superbowl.

8 hours ago, xen said:

Of course defense should be a priority, but I'm old enough to remember when having an X who could consistently beat press in the playoffs made our offense a beast and won us a superbowl.

Hey, I'm even older and I remember when a terrific defense won a SB about 52 years ago   🙂   I also remember about three years ago when a defense failed to get a stop the last two drives of an AFCCG and the Chiefs didn't get to the SB.  How about a game five weeks ago when the Chiefs couldn't defend a receiver or generate a pass rush and lost a game while scoring 31 points?  My contention is that the drop off between a rookie WR and Pringle/Harding/Forston/ etc. is less than the drop off between a rookie DE and Dana/Kaindoh/??? or a rookie CB and Hughes/Baker/????.  TBH, this whole discussion is pointless until we know who the Chiefs might resign or nab in FA.  Just before the draft is the time to iron this out. 

2 hours ago, jetlord said:

Hey, I'm even older and I remember when a terrific defense won a SB about 52 years ago   🙂   I also remember about three years ago when a defense failed to get a stop the last two drives of an AFCCG and the Chiefs didn't get to the SB.  How about a game five weeks ago when the Chiefs couldn't defend a receiver or generate a pass rush and lost a game while scoring 31 points?  My contention is that the drop off between a rookie WR and Pringle/Harding/Forston/ etc. is less than the drop off between a rookie DE and Dana/Kaindoh/??? or a rookie CB and Hughes/Baker/????.  TBH, this whole discussion is pointless until we know who the Chiefs might resign or nab in FA.  Just before the draft is the time to iron this out. 

I'm not the one that is saying I'd be pissed if kc drafts a WR.  I said both are important.

On 2/9/2022 at 2:27 AM, Lamardirts said:

I feel like Veach is going to address wr in FA because of the learning curve in our offense.   The real question would be if we sign Allen Robinson, Juju, OBJ, etc would we also draft Jameson if he fell in round 1?   

i think they will look at both, FA and the Draft...get as many weapons as you can for Patrick...hell look at Cincy

4 minutes ago, KC Warpaint said:

i think they will look at both, FA and the Draft...get as many weapons as you can for Patrick...hell look at Cincy

in that regard I dont think you can use Cinci as a model.  It was an extremely good move and by luck of the draw being able to  draft Burrows' favorite WR in what was also Juggernaut Offense in College. That was nothing more IMO than being in the right place at he right time and making the right decisions.  Patrick has weapons and JMO her but using big $$ or High Draft pick  for another one  is futile. Why cant we only have  Patrick score 21 points to win instead of 32?

Defense will win this SB  and will hold Cinci  under 20 points

On 2/13/2022 at 12:00 PM, oldtimer said:

in that regard I dont think you can use Cinci as a model.  It was an extremely good move and by luck of the draw being able to  draft Burrows' favorite WR in what was also Juggernaut Offense in College. That was nothing more IMO than being in the right place at he right time and making the right decisions.  Patrick has weapons and JMO her but using big $$ or High Draft pick  for another one  is futile. Why cant we only have  Patrick score 21 points to win instead of 32?

Just about nailed it, I agree.

On 2/13/2022 at 10:00 AM, oldtimer said:

Exactly.  In spite of Mahomes meltdown in the second half of the AFCCG, the Chiefs would have won with a pass rush equal to TENN or LAR and another high quality DB.

On 2/8/2022 at 9:15 PM, xen said:

If Jameson Williams falls he's my guy.

it was mentioned on one of the NFL shows yesterday that the bengals need to figure out a better way to keep Burrow protected and the discussion was about should they have taken Sewell with their 1st round pick instead of Chase, it was agreed that you do not pass on a special athlete which is why they went with Chase att...could this be the same scenario for us regarding williams?

4 minutes ago, KC Warpaint said:

it was mentioned on one of the NFL shows yesterday that the bengals need to figure out a better way to keep Burrow protected and the discussion was about should they have taken Sewell with their 1st round pick instead of Chase, it was agreed that you do not pass on a special athlete which is why they went with Chase att...could this be the same scenario for us regarding williams?

If you want to hose all the extra attention paid to tyreek and kels, you have to have someone else that defenses fear.   None of our other skill players check that box.