Defensive staff restructuring

1 hour ago, azchief21 said:

Sounds like Spags is staying :(

Given the statistical turnaround after week 6 or 7, I don’t see why Spags would be leaving unless he wanted to? I’d like to see what he does with the defense without hopefully being saddled with Frank Clark and Anthony Hitchens contracts, even if it takes a couple of years to fully clear them.

14 hours ago, Thegoatee said:

Given the statistical turnaround after week 6 or 7, I don’t see why Spags would be leaving unless he wanted to? I’d like to see what he does with the defense without hopefully being saddled with Frank Clark and Anthony Hitchens contracts, even if it takes a couple of years to fully clear them.

I’m not pointing to Spags being released or anything but that defensive stretch mid season was awesome and also was a result of a couple things that we need to keep in mind. 
1. Ingram joined and jones back in middle. 
2. opponents and QBs faced. 

59 minutes ago, DefensiveMan said:

Daly did well with the D Line why would he switch to LBs?

From what I understand Cullen is nothing but a DL coach for something like the last 2 decades. May be Daly is more versatile? Definitely don't want to switch to a 3-man front though, seems to limit available FAs, prospects quite a bit. 

7 minutes ago, Iluvhouse24 said:

A line with two 9 figure players on it and finishes 29th in the league in sacks. That could be viewed as room to improve.

He has been doing a good job of coaching up the prospects but yeah the big money guys aren't really working well as a group. 

18 hours ago, Thegoatee said:

Playoff defense sucked. No adjustments. Gave up an average of 4 TD/game. I'm not hyped about him but I'll not be ranting to have him fired. He's average. Could do a lot better but we could do worse.

27 minutes ago, azchief21 said:

Playoff defense sucked. No adjustments. Gave up an average of 4 TD/game. I'm not hyped about him but I'll not be ranting to have him fired. He's average. Could do a lot better but we could do worse.

Meh, Mahomes gifted the Bengals a TD on his horrid INT to a defensive linemen and they adjusted to stop Chase from running wild. Josh Allen is the worst nightmare for our scheme when we don’t have a LB or safety who can spy and run him down. We have a lot of big money guys holding this team back. Clark, Jones, Hitchens, and HB are like 1/3 of the salary cap and none have earned their check this year. I am not necessarily a Spags fan, but the Chiefs need to sign free agent deals and trades better and if Spags still doesn’t improve, then certainly move on. But I don’t think you dump coaches who got you to two super bowls. 

21 minutes ago, Thegoatee said:

Meh, Mahomes gifted the Bengals a TD on his horrid INT to a defensive linemen and they adjusted to stop Chase from running wild. Josh Allen is the worst nightmare for our scheme when we don’t have a LB or safety who can spy and run him down. We have a lot of big money guys holding this team back. Clark, Jones, Hitchens, and HB are like 1/3 of the salary cap and none have earned their check this year. I am not necessarily a Spags fan, but the Chiefs need to sign free agent deals and trades better and if Spags still doesn’t improve, then certainly move on. But I don’t think you dump coaches who got you to two super bowls. 

21 minutes ago, Thegoatee said:

I'm not hyped about him but I'll not be ranting to have him fired.

Spags hasn’t done anything to be fired but his scheme is getting old and for those wondering what he could do with different players remember  Frank is a Spags player. Hitchens is a huge Spags guy.   Spags made personnel calls to keep less talented guys off the field in favor of more cerebral and leas talented guys.   

My issue is we have an opportunity to lock up some guys long term and Spags isn’t young.  We lock a lot of guys that are pretty Spags scheme specific and see no results the we are potentially flushing multiple years down the drain.   The goal for the D shouldn’t be “good enough” or “complimentary d” but “top end D”.   

Spags had big money guys, a healthy d, and his guys and the D was pretty avg.   I’m not sure I have a lot of faith he can do more next year with less.  D doesn’t seem really passionate.    Like I said he wasn’t terrible by any stretch and shouldn’t be fired but I was hoping he would retire and we could get someone like Vic Fangio.

9 minutes ago, Lamardirts said:

Spags hasn’t done anything to be fired but his scheme is getting old and for those wondering what he could do with different players remember  Frank is a Spags player. Hitchens is a huge Spags guy.   Spags made personnel calls to keep less talented guys off the field in favor of more cerebral and leas talented guys.   

My issue is we have an opportunity to lock up some guys long term and Spags isn’t young.  We lock a lot of guys that are pretty Spags scheme specific and see no results the we are potentially flushing multiple years down the drain.   The goal for the D shouldn’t be “good enough” or “complimentary d” but “top end D”.   

Spags had big money guys, a healthy d, and his guys and the D was pretty avg.   I’m not sure I have a lot of faith he can do more next year with less.  D doesn’t seem really passionate.    Like I said he wasn’t terrible by any stretch and shouldn’t be fired but I was hoping he would retire and we could get someone like Vic Fangio.

I agree with you. Spags hasn’t done anything to justify being fired per say, but i have zero optimism the defense will be good next year. No adjustments ever, playing no talent veterans instead of developing younger players. Its kind of a moral killer for him to return

34 minutes ago, CranjisMcbasketball said:

I agree with you. Spags hasn’t done anything to justify being fired per say, but i have zero optimism the defense will be good next year. No adjustments ever, playing no talent veterans instead of developing younger players. Its kind of a moral killer for him to return

I just tired of week in and week out hearing about the Oline we were going up against and how they were missing guys and our guys should feast and then back ups stone walling our guys and our higher paid guys not getting home.  I think Chris Jones has to be put in better situations and maybe that means getting two legit edge rushers to pair with him so qbs have no where to escape when he collapses the pocket.   I know Melvin was a huge ungraded but I’m curious if he was so dominant or we were so used to really bad DE play than an avg DE looked really good to us.   

One thing I’m happy with is Veachs focus on fixing the Dline.  So that will definitely help Spags by having some younger more talented guys but then we have to wonder if he will play those guys instead of washed out less talented guys that merely know his system better.   Time will tell.   Outside of HB the dead weight that needs to be cut probably can’t make us any worse and will in most likelihood made us better.  Fingers crossed!

4 hours ago, Lamardirts said:

I just tired of week in and week out hearing about the Oline we were going up against and how they were missing guys and our guys should feast and then back ups stone walling our guys and our higher paid guys not getting home.  I think Chris Jones has to be put in better situations and maybe that means getting two legit edge rushers to pair with him so qbs have no where to escape when he collapses the pocket.   I know Melvin was a huge ungraded but I’m curious if he was so dominant or we were so used to really bad DE play than an avg DE looked really good to us.   

One thing I’m happy with is Veachs focus on fixing the Dline.  So that will definitely help Spags by having some younger more talented guys but then we have to wonder if he will play those guys instead of washed out less talented guys that merely know his system better.   Time will tell.   Outside of HB the dead weight that needs to be cut probably can’t make us any worse and will in most likelihood made us better.  Fingers crossed!

true, while i was looking over the d line free agency situation it was very hard to come up with ways to improve it, not a bunch of talent there. maybe some trades are in the works. who knows