https://currently.att.yahoo.com/news/chiefs-chosen-play-germany-obvious-155905480.html

The National Football League on Wednesday announced that a 2022 regular-season game would be played in Munich, Germany.

That would be the first-ever regular-season game in Germany, and it would be held at Allianz Arena, the home of European soccer powerhouse Bayern Munich.

Over the next four years, two games will be played in Frankfurt and two in Munich.

When the NFL schedule is released in May, there is good reason to believe the Chiefs could play in Munich.

First, Chiefs CEO and chairman Clark Hunt has publicly expressed interest in having the Chiefs play a game there.

“The NFL is in the process of enlarging its fan base,” Hunt told the German magazine Bild in 2019. “It holds regular league games in London and now also in Mexico. I know that the NFL is open to games in Germany, and not just as a one-off event, but over a longer period of time. It will definitely still take a while, but it is being worked on. Completely selfishly: I hope the KC Chiefs will be one of the first teams here.”

In 2019, a delegation from Bayern Munich visited Hunt and Arrowhead Stadium, and later played at a game at Children’s Mercy Park. The Bundesliga champions and the Chiefs have routinely shared messages of support on social media.

It’s no surprise to see Chiefs players in this video from Bayern:

There’s another reason to believe the Chiefs could be headed to Germany.

In December, the NFL announced 18 teams had won marketing rights in eight international countries. For Germany, rights were awarded to the Chiefs, Patriots, Panthers and Buccaneers.

That list of teams could provide a clue as to who the Chiefs might play in Munich if that happens next season. The Tampa Bay Buccaneers are one of the Chiefs’ 2022 opponents.

The teams are due to play in Florida, so if that ended up being the matchup in Germany, it would mean the Chiefs wouldn’t lose one of their home games in 2022.

5 hours ago, WichitaZRide said:

I think this is the way it should be.  We have 17 games, every team should have one neutral site game vs an extra home or away.  It doesn’t have to be foreign either…. It would have been pretty cool for the chiefs/packers game to have been in Vegas or Dallas

I think that makes sense. Play that extra game in a city with no NFL team. Never been a fan of international games but I think this one could have some merit.

14 hours ago, Burpo The Mad Clown said:

They’ve been trying this for decades. Euros don’t care about football. I doubt they ever will. 

There's a decent sized market in Germany of NFL fans.  Probably leftover from the old developmental league there.

I'm a little surprised the Chiefs haven't scheduled a game in St. Louis. It would be a good gauge whether St. Louis would support another franchise if there is further expansion. We could then get a couple of St. Louis Blues games at the Sprint Center. I keep hearing KC is wanting NHL Hockey. 

40 minutes ago, Dan4pres said:

I'm a little surprised the Chiefs haven't scheduled a game in St. Louis. It would be a good gauge whether St. Louis would support another franchise if there is further expansion. We could then get a couple of St. Louis Blues games at the Sprint Center. I keep hearing KC is wanting NHL Hockey. 

🤣

On 2/10/2022 at 10:08 AM, West said:

Good to Know we will not lose a Home game.

I hope the Chiefs get the bye week following this trip as the jet lag is tough coming back.

w

As one who has been to Europe some hundreds of times, I find the jet lag not so much of a problem after coming home.  It's the first day after going east bound that drags one down. 

I'm not a fan of the international games, but if the NFL is insisting on it, maybe there could be a way to host 16 neutral site games (every team plays in one) that include European sites, Canada, Mexico, maybe Asia, and college sites.  This would eliminate some teams have the extra home or road game every year, plus it might be interesting to see games in traditional college stadiums in areas that don't have NFL teams like Alabama or Clemson.  Probably not a good idea, but for some reason it bothers me when some teams get the benefit of an extra  home game in a year.  I know it is supposed to alternate every year but you know somehow Goodell will make it an advantage for teams like the Patriots.  This would be a way to balance it.