Chiefs ROY

Players voted.  Bolton did lead the team in tackles and tackles for loss as a rotational LB.   

We killed that draft like others have stated that 3 guys were in the running for that award and all three have a legitimate case.   That is an awesome problem to have.   I actually hope we have it again for the next 2-3 years.

9 hours ago, Lamardirts said:

Players voted.  Bolton did lead the team in tackles and tackles for loss as a rotational LB.   

We killed that draft like others have stated that 3 guys were in the running for that award and all three have a legitimate case.   That is an awesome problem to have.   I actually hope we have it again for the next 2-3 years.

Bolton had 30 more tackles than the next closest guy 👀

6 hours ago, Thegoatee said:

If we can draft three or four competent starters a year, we will be in the running every season. We seemed to draft guys that could play day one instead of projects. My advice: never draft projects again.

Tyreek (rb to wr) and Pat (lots of questions) were both projects.  So was Kelce (HS qb converted to TE and kicked off his college team)

Sneed was a safety his senior year.  Gay was a huge project.  

If you never take a chance on projects drafting as late as we do...

11 minutes ago, xen said:

Tyreek (rb to wr) and Pat (lots of questions) were both projects.  So was Kelce (HS qb converted to TE and kicked off his college team)

I’d argue you are mostly conflating risky picks with projects. Anybody who saw Mahomes in preseason as a rookie knew he was going to be something else and was far more ready than they imagined. None of these guys are like Ford, KPass, Speaks, LDT, DAT, Catapano, etc.

I realize most draft picks don’t pan out, but my goodness, we had some BAD draft classes in the Reid era. Heck, everyone taken along with Mahomes isn’t on the roster.

I really like Bolton, but  didn't think about Humphrey, all good points. I was so focused on any good defensive player. I love how Bolton tackles guys, he doesn't screw around. He's gotten beat, but it's always at an awkward position or when someone else misses also. I'm sure he's got beat one on one, but most of the time he mans up, and gets the player down. I liked how he attacked Derrick Henry. 

11 hours ago, xen said:

Trey Smith. Brian Waters was an undrafted DE. Every UDFA is pretty much a project. 

13 hours ago, Thegoatee said:

I’d argue you are mostly conflating risky picks with projects. Anybody who saw Mahomes in preseason as a rookie knew he was going to be something else and was far more ready than they imagined. None of these guys are like Ford, KPass, Speaks, LDT, DAT, Catapano, etc.

I realize most draft picks don’t pan out, but my goodness, we had some BAD draft classes in the Reid era. Heck, everyone taken along with Mahomes isn’t on the roster.

I'd argue you need to define what you mean by project then.  Sounds like you're just arguing we needed to draft better.  Most players are out of the NFL after 3 years so it's not that surprising

2 hours ago, xen said:

I'd argue you need to define what you mean by project then.  Sounds like you're just arguing we needed to draft better.  Most players are out of the NFL after 3 years so it's not that surprising

And some of those mentioned were 6th round type picks... I mean this is where you go for a project types or ones with huge upsides etc.

QB is an exceptional position and unless your team really sucks you generally have to give up multiple picks for one. However other than that a single pick should equal a single player as in the end every rookie is a project. However raw players should be selected later in the draft as the return on investment in terms of the cap is very critical in this environment. Anyone selected in the first 3 rounds should either be starting or have a decent place in the rotation and if you have to wait a few years for any of them to show up then it's a bad pick. Again QB is the exception and there's nothing wrong with the LT sitting out as a swing tackle for a year IMO. 

3 hours ago, xen said:

Project is so raw they need a lot of time to marinate. People who come from weird schools or have no position they natively fit and would have to learn something different. I think Gay was literally one of the best LBs, if not the best graded, but scared everyone with his mental / off field concern. Hill was radioactive, but would have been a much higher pick if he didn’t get deservedly banished.

Creed and Bolton were the types of guys that are ready to play or not. So was Smith, sans health concerns. If you want to waste a 7th on a Kpass, fine. But 2nd round? Speaks who didn’t have a natural scheme fit in the 2nd? Those were bad picks among many bad picks, but they were projects because they were not ready or capable.

I cringe at times when a player gets drafted and the description basically is "he's an athletic freak"....or he "fits the type" before anyone gets to whether or not the player was productive or whether he was good against the better competition. Bolton played in the SEC and led in tackles against top tier talent. I'll take that on a resume ahead of freakish athleticism.

36 minutes ago, dhitter said:

I cringe at times when a player gets drafted and the description basically is "he's an athletic freak"....or he "fits the type" before anyone gets to whether or not the player was productive or whether he was good against the better competition. Bolton played in the SEC and led in tackles against top tier talent. I'll take that on a resume ahead of freakish athleticism.

To your point. Bolton was too small, too slow, couldn’t cover. Whatever the knocks on him were. He has the instincts and just produces. So glad he fell to us.

2 hours ago, DieHard said:

To your point. Bolton was too small, too slow, couldn’t cover. Whatever the knocks on him were. He has the instincts and just produces. So glad he fell to us.

Quite a bit of stars had some red flags coming out. Hopefully Bolton will end up the same.