Free agents

KC legitimately needs a #3 pass catching option. Nobody on the roster is reliable like Kelce or Hill or particularly talented. That is probably the only thing they should seek in FA or draft with the offense outside of RT depth to compete with Niang.

They need to draft and sign DT, DE, S, and CB as well as replacing LB depth.

• Replies 746
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, oldtimer said:

Have  the Chiefs not already  thrown a few draft picks at the TE  that have either failed or yet to pan out? Are they supposed to spend another day 1 or 2 pick with soo many more urgent needs?

I think Fortson was primed to be that guy.  I think Mahomes trusted him and the FO liked his growth.  We will see how fast he can come back from injury.  Gray is another one that never reached the hype of the offseason.   I agree, TE is at the bottom of the totem this offseason.   

1 hour ago, Lamardirts said:

I think Fortson was primed to be that guy.  I think Mahomes trusted him and the FO liked his growth.  We will see how fast he can come back from injury.  Gray is another one that never reached the hype of the offseason.   I agree, TE is at the bottom of the totem this offseason.   

Yup. Sign a FA WR and FA DT, draft best DE/CB/Safety on the board with each pick and fill the rest of the depth with young, hungry, cheap FA's. 

38 minutes ago, CranjisMcbasketball said:

This idea that we “just need a #3 receiver” is flawed. Hill and Kelce are aging and have never been hurt, not to be negative but they will regress or be hurt one day, and if that happens we are SCREWED

The same is true for pretty much everyone on the roster and in that perspective the drop off between a back of the roster guy vs a street FA may actually be the least at RB and WR as opposed to other non-ST positions. 

We definitely need another receiver but can't really put it as the high priority to overpay someone with the assumption that someone is going to get injured. In terms of aging we still have a few years until both guys are off the roster so there is no urgency to pay someone now as opposed to finding the younger/better option in 2-3 years when the move will have a much more impact. 

23 minutes ago, sith13 said:

The same is true for pretty much everyone on the roster and in that perspective the drop off between a back of the roster guy vs a street FA may actually be the least at RB and WR as opposed to other non-ST positions. 

We definitely need another receiver but can't really put it as the high priority to overpay someone with the assumption that someone is going to get injured. In terms of aging we still have a few years until both guys are off the roster so there is no urgency to pay someone now as opposed to finding the younger/better option in 2-3 years when the move will have a much more impact. 

I think we need to spend some money on one tho. Ridley or JuJu or Williams from the chargers. Kelce and Hill are older and we know what happens when the injuries start happening. Also, one of those Rookie WR (Powell and the guy from last year) gotta step up and compete for playing time. 

1 hour ago, CranjisMcbasketball said:

This idea that we “just need a #3 receiver” is flawed. Hill and Kelce are aging and have never been hurt, not to be negative but they will regress or be hurt one day, and if that happens we are SCREWED

Most teams do not have much depth beyond three primary targets. KC only had two targets and a bunch of guys who would struggle to do anything on other rosters/teams. My assumption is Hardman/Pringle get demoted to #3 or #4 WR and fight for a spot roster spot. They specifically need to get a proven #2 guy at WR and bring in developmental players who may one day become a new top 3 option long term. But I don’t expect them to sink a bunch of capital on 3 or 4 proven WRs/TEs just this year. Too many holes on defense. They need to replace Watkins (never did last year) and replace Robinson. Hill, Hardman, Pringle are the only three existing WRs that should be considered retention material.

1 hour ago, Thegoatee said:

Most teams do not have much depth beyond three primary targets. KC only had two targets and a bunch of guys who would struggle to do anything on other rosters/teams. My assumption is Hardman/Pringle get demoted to #3 or #4 WR and fight for a spot roster spot. They specifically need to get a proven #2 guy at WR and bring in developmental players who may one day become a new top 3 option long term. But I don’t expect them to sink a bunch of capital on 3 or 4 proven WRs/TEs just this year. Too many holes on defense. They need to replace Watkins (never did last year) and replace Robinson. Hill, Hardman, Pringle are the only three existing WRs that should be considered retention material.

Fair opinion 

2 hours ago, sith13 said:

I do see your rational, the reason i would disagree is, imo, QB, WR, and D line are 99% of what matters to winning a superbowl, and a dropoff at these positions is crippling, whereas a dropoff to below average at any other position relatively speaking doesn’t matter

2 hours ago, artsy said:

I think we need to spend some money on one tho. Ridley or JuJu or Williams from the chargers. Kelce and Hill are older and we know what happens when the injuries start happening. Also, one of those Rookie WR (Powell and the guy from last year) gotta step up and compete for playing time. 

I like Robinson,  who never had a QB in Chicago, too. Think he may be the best of the bunch imo.

By the Way. let me preface by saying, i think PFF sucks now. but i kinda share this particular opinion.

2022 NFL Free Agency Rankings: Offensive Tackles | NFL News, Rankings and Statistics | PFF

they rank orlando brown 29th of 83 offensive tackles. with a predicted annual salary of 

5 yrs — $21m avg/yr

meanwhile you can get some tackle in the 30-40 ranked range for 10 mil a year or less.

food for thought

11 hours ago, artsy said:

I definitely think we should be targetting a Juju or Williams type WR in FA. No doubt about that since it takes ages to develop WRs in this regime and we have bigger needs that can only be addressed with the earlier picks. Get a solid guy in FA and get some production right now.

However I don't think we should be looking for a star WR that will cost over 15 million per year as that would be a very bad investment.

17 hours ago, CranjisMcbasketball said:

By the Way. let me preface by saying, i think PFF sucks now. but i kinda share this particular opinion.

2022 NFL Free Agency Rankings: Offensive Tackles | NFL News, Rankings and Statistics | PFF

they rank orlando brown 29th of 83 offensive tackles. with a predicted annual salary of 

5 yrs — $21m avg/yr

meanwhile you can get some tackle in the 30-40 ranked range for 10 mil a year or less.

food for thought

Is the his ranking for the whole year?  He was in a new system playing on a line with new starters at every position.  Not an authority on OLines but it seems like they were coming together later in the season.

15 minutes ago, THEWIZARD said:

Is the his ranking for the whole year?  He was in a new system playing on a line with new starters at every position.  Not an authority on OLines but it seems like they were coming together later in the season.

it is for an entire year, and that is a valid point you made.

Here is a player I like in free agency. Joseph Noteboom. backup tackle for the rams, played better than whitworth imo. noteboom earned a 76 grade this season (in limited snaps). orlando brown earned 75.3. they were both 3rd round picks in the 2018 draft. brown was pick 83, noteboom was pick 89 In other words, they are statistically the same person. one of these players is going to earn 20 mil a season and tie the team to cap hell for 5 years for being an average tackle. the other is going to get a reasonable deal that will be easy to move on from in case of poor play.

i 100% know which direction i would go, and its noteboom or a similar type player.

16 hours ago, CranjisMcbasketball said:

it is for an entire year, and that is a valid point you made.

Here is a player I like in free agency. Joseph Noteboom. backup tackle for the rams, played better than whitworth imo. noteboom earned a 76 grade this season (in limited snaps). orlando brown earned 75.3. they were both 3rd round picks in the 2018 draft. brown was pick 83, noteboom was pick 89 In other words, they are statistically the same person. one of these players is going to earn 20 mil a season and tie the team to cap hell for 5 years for being an average tackle. the other is going to get a reasonable deal that will be easy to move on from in case of poor play.

i 100% know which direction i would go, and its noteboom or a similar type player.

Its seems to me that grade might be a little skewed....just sayin.  Hard to compare a "backups" stats to a full time starter.  But, what do I know???

On 2/23/2022 at 5:16 PM, CranjisMcbasketball said:

I do see your rational, the reason i would disagree is, imo, QB, WR, and D line are 99% of what matters to winning a superbowl, and a dropoff at these positions is crippling, whereas a dropoff to below average at any other position relatively speaking doesn’t matter

You must not have watched the Super Bowl when we lost to Tampa Bay.

Alternative offseason game plan.

Signing Gronk would be fun in big packages.

Sign Allen Robinson

Alternative offseason.  

Sign Gronk 

Sign Devonta Freeman

Resign Jerrick Mckinnon

Go 12 personnel with Kelce, Gronk, McKinnon, Hill, and Robinson.

Who is stopping that personnel?

4 hours ago, Lamardirts said:

Sign Allen Robinson

Alternative offseason.  

Sign Gronk 

Sign Devonta Freeman

Resign Jerrick Mckinnon

as much as I like that idea the idea of having to score 38 points to win a game buy 3 or 7  is too much for my heart to beat. I'd much prefer 21 -10

1 hour ago, oldtimer said:

as much as I like that idea the idea of having to score 38 points to win a game buy 3 or 7  is too much for my heart to beat. I'd much prefer 21 -10

Yeah there were way to many games that caused my blood pressure to rise!   Just throwing out different ideas

13 hours ago, Lamardirts said:

Sign Allen Robinson

Alternative offseason.  

Sign Gronk 

Sign Devonta Freeman

Resign Jerrick Mckinnon

I like it. 

9 hours ago, Holmes4six! said:

I like it. 

I think that is a BB style plan.   When your team is a dominant passing team to find a way to be potent running the ball as well as passing.  That plan would create matchup nightmares are every position.   Dominant players would be getting one v one matchups every play and if teams wanted to do what the Bengals would do then a coach like BB would run it down their throat.   It's my only knock on Andy.  His refusal to deviate at times has cost him at least 1 Lombardi maybe 2.