Free agents

• Replies 746
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, mex said:

Don't follow free agency much... is Clowney out of the question?  Man that would free up our ability to draft a WR.

He is above average imo. I believe he struggles against the run and is not a constant motor type guy as a pass rusher.

2 hours ago, Iluvhouse24 said:

Clowney is one of the best run defenders in the league at the edge position. 

Screenshot_20220403-043049_Chrome.png

Might be his sack total then. Either way we can get pressures from Ingram for cheaper. Clowney has only played 16 games once since 2014 too. Can't be of help if you can't play and if we have to choose between health concerns of both these players.....go cheaper route imo. From 2020 but you get the idea.

Most QB pressures without a sack in 2020

Player 2020 Pressures

Jadeveon Clowney 28

Melvin Ingram 28

Linval Joseph 26

Arden Key 24

Jalyn Holmes 19

Clowney and Ingram both profiled as relatively strong pass rushers on a per-snap basis. Ingram’s 12.8% pressure rate ranked 24th among 115 qualifiers at the edge defender position. Clowney’s mark of 10.8% ranked 43rd. Both players still got pressure at an above-average clip when on the field despite their goose eggs in the sack column.  

I just saw the Honey Badger on Instagram thanking the team for being voted the team MVP for the third time. I've been out of the loop for a few weeks on the Chiefs (a little). I didn't know he he was coming back or was just being grateful. I didn't see any threads on it, so I assume it's the latter. 

Seems to me that FA's that are currently unsigned are gonna fall mostly in one of two categories (possibly both). 1. Asking too much money. 2. Used up and no interest from teams. I think Gilmore and Ingram are both asking too much. It becomes a game of chicken as we march closer to the draft.

Bring back Ingram before the draft and we add a couple more in early rounds. No need to worry about Clowney and his health as well as his big contract demands that keep pushing him out of every team. 

BTW does "most QB pressures without a sack" mean useful QB rushes that disrupt the pass play or is it just a made up stat that serves no purpose? 

5 minutes ago, sith13 said:

Bring back Ingram before the draft and we add a couple more in early rounds. No need to worry about Clowney and his health as well as his big contract demands that keep pushing him out of every team. 

BTW does "most QB pressures without a sack" mean useful QB rushes that disrupt the pass play or is it just a made up stat that serves no purpose? 

the 2nd part

2 hours ago, dhitter said:

Seems to me that FA's that are currently unsigned are gonna fall mostly in one of two categories (possibly both). 1. Asking too much money. 2. Used up and no interest from teams. I think Gilmore and Ingram are both asking too much. It becomes a game of chicken as we march closer to the draft.

Ingram didn't sign with Pitt last year till jul 20th.  I doubt he is any big hurry this year either.   See how the draft and the rest of free angecy shakes out and pick your spot.  

1 minute ago, Okiechief1 said:

Ingram didn't sign with Pitt last year till jul 20th.  I doubt he is any big hurry this year either.   See how the draft and the rest of free angecy shakes out and pick your spot.  

Maybe he didn't sign til then because he was asking for too much money and finally backed off in order to play somewhere in 2021. Or a team like Pittsburgh got desperate and signed him before camp. Either scenario would satisfy my hypothesis.

59 minutes ago, arrowhead said:

This is correct.  Those that follow analytics have know this for years.   Sack rates fluctuate greatly year over year however pressure percentage typically does not fluctuate nearly as badly and is a better indicator of a defenders ability to affect games.

Fwiw defensive back performance also fluctuates greatly year over year.

9 minutes ago, xen said:

This is correct.  Those that follow analytics have know this for years.   Sack rates fluctuate greatly year over year however pressure percentage typically does not fluctuate nearly as badly and is a better indicator of a defenders ability to affect games.

Fwiw defensive back performance also fluctuates greatly year over year.

anallickits?Confused Joe Biden GIF by CBS News

3 hours ago, sith13 said:

DT got a "pressure without a sack" on Dave Krieg. Would have been his 8th of the game but Krieg threw a game-winning TD. So serves no purpose. 

4 minutes ago, azchief21 said:

DT got a "pressure without a sack" on Dave Krieg. Would have been his 8th of the game but Krieg threw a game-winning TD. So serves no purpose. 

Had to go way back for that one.

Mahomes vs Bucs. He was running for his life. Tell me that didn't matter.

1 minute ago, arrowhead said:

Had to go way back for that one.

Mahomes vs Bucs. He was running for his life. Tell me that didn't matter.

Good point AH but you have to counter that with how many "pressure without sack" that Mahomes got away from to make brilliant, game-changing plays. "Almost sack" didn't matter then.

2 minutes ago, azchief21 said:

Good point AH but you have to counter that with how many "pressure without sack" that Mahomes got away from to make brilliant, game-changing plays. "Almost sack" didn't matter then.

Sure it does. In the back of his mind he's thinking that dude has to be getting close, even if he's not. Every time there's the potential of a 300 pound man about to run thru you, it has to affect you. Happy feet. 

Some handle pressure better than others, but the numbers go down based on the stats.