Free agents

3 hours ago, dhitter said:

Maybe he didn't sign til then because he was asking for too much money and finally backed off in order to play somewhere in 2021. Or a team like Pittsburgh got desperate and signed him before camp. Either scenario would satisfy my hypothesis.

He has said he does not want to do OTAs etc. He will wait to sign.

• Replies 746
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 hours ago, xen said:

This is correct.  Those that follow analytics have know this for years.   Sack rates fluctuate greatly year over year however pressure percentage typically does not fluctuate nearly as badly and is a better indicator of a defenders ability to affect games.

Fwiw defensive back performance also fluctuates greatly year over year.

All true. 

Of course salary contracts only go UP each year, until the age of magic decline begins at the decrepit age of 32. :lol:

1 hour ago, SEMO said:

Good to have quality depth to create competition. I still say we need a pass rushing type with solid run defense of a DT in the draft. Would actually love to see us groom and keep d line studs under Reid and our draft picks.

2 hours ago, THEWIZARD said:

they must have several safeties they have targeted in the draft that they like. i always thought watts was a decent player, that for whatever reason they never let have any snaps in favor on sorenson. i bet he plays well for indy.

42 minutes ago, CranjisMcbasketball said:

they must have several safeties they have targeted in the draft that they like. i always thought watts was a decent player, that for whatever reason they never let have any snaps in favor on sorenson. i bet he plays well for indy.

The reason is he was missing assignments when he did play.  Watts wasn't on the field enough for the fanbase to realize or hate him for it but with more snaps I suspect that's what would have happened.

I thought he was decent, too, and good depth.  He really built up his chops on ST.  When he was called on to play on D, I thought he looked good.  Moved around well, had a grasp of what was going on and was able to get to right spot.  But his rookie contract was up.  I don't envy Toub.  He has to take these guys fresh and build them up, and it takes a few years.  Unfortunately, we have to go cheap and deep.  It is the price of having a several expensive star veterans.

2 hours ago, xen said:

The reason is he was missing assignments when he did play.  Watts wasn't on the field enough for the fanbase to realize or hate him for it but with more snaps I suspect that's what would have happened.

Yeah, you may be right, but thats what we heard about bolton, gay, thornhill. When they finally got to play they out performed the starters.  Playings vets over young players to get them ready for playoff games is a major weakness of our staff imo. In this case watts may never have developed, but its going to bite us some day.

11 minutes ago, CranjisMcbasketball said:

Yeah, you may be right, but thats what we heard about bolton, gay, thornhill. When they finally got to play they out performed the starters.  Playings vets over young players to get them ready for playoff games is a major weakness of our staff imo. In this case watts may never have developed, but its going to bite us some day.

Bolton, Gay, and Thornhill were performing well in their first couple of years. Watts has been with the team for four years and hasn't done anything to distinguish himself. 

Watts was decent in small doses but don't know how he would perform in a much bigger role. Wouldn't mind having him around for something like vet minimum but I'm guessing he's looking for a change of scenery to pursue a starting role. 

1 hour ago, sith13 said:

I guess we are set at RB but wouldn't rule out a Williams return if he can't find anything in FA.

“I guess” is the right way to put it. We dont have a #1 back on the team and have essentially swapped a very reliable smart rb in darrell williams for an unreliable rb in ronald jones. Also lost mckinnon. We desperately need to bring mckinnon back and save him for playoff duty like we did this year or draft a young guy in the mid rounds that had some speed and athleticism 

1 hour ago, CranjisMcbasketball said:

“I guess” is the right way to put it. We dont have a #1 back on the team and have essentially swapped a very reliable smart rb in darrell williams for an unreliable rb in ronald jones. Also lost mckinnon. We desperately need to bring mckinnon back and save him for playoff duty like we did this year or draft a young guy in the mid rounds that had some speed and athleticism 

agreed with the bolded