Hitchens released

Speaks volumes that the eye test of the fanbase matched Hitchens outcome very quickly. His instagram rant, while I understand the pressure and unrealistic stuff fans throw at guys, gives me some insight into what his “best” was perceived as in his own mind. Underperforming complacency relative to salary. I wish him well, but I am also glad KC has moved on.

I respect that he was a respected veteran than mentored some younger players snd knew Spags system.  However, it was a horrible contract from the get go and us restructuring it made it worse in the end.  Glad it’s over and thankfully the FO saw what was glaringly clear.  I think moving on from HB (even though HB can still play well) needs ro happen if we are going to keep this window open for the foreseeable future.  Plus it allowed Hitchens a chance to catch on elsewhere which is classy.

6 hours ago, xen said:

Not much of a debate.  He can still play.

I think his play has slipped a little but he is still a good player.   Problem is when an offense can gameplan around you and you cannot make enough impact plays to warrant your 15-20 million dollar a year contract then its hard to extend/resign that player for big money.   I think spending his money on a Randy Gregory or stud DE offers more bang for the buck.    HB is the luxury this year that we unfortunately cannot afford, plus he probably nets us a potential comp 3rd pick next year.  

Hitchens was an average player capable of occasionally playing at an above average level. His best attribute was leadership but based on salary he needed to play like a top ten LB....which he obviously did not. I am cautiously excited to see who else goes and who takes their place.

1 hour ago, oldtimer said:

playing "well" is in my mind. He plays soft and is slow which happens with age but I have no interest in  getting him back. I guess we'll see what the Chiefs think.

I think he would be considered playing "well" if he was getting paid no more than half of what he got. In a realistic scenario I think Chiefs should just let HB, Dirty Dan, and Niemann find their path in FA and may be HB brings in a 4th or something. 

2 hours ago, sith13 said:

I think he would be considered playing "well" if he was getting paid no more than half of what he got. In a realistic scenario I think Chiefs should just let HB, Dirty Dan, and Niemann find their path in FA and may be HB brings in a 4th or something. 

yep