Hitchens released

4 minutes ago, jetlord said:

Isn't it to the Chiefs advantage to cut Clark after June 1?  Expect it then.

There is an exception that you can cut a player pre June 1st as if it was a post June 1st cut.  I guess it depends how aggressive Veach wants to be this offseason because that pushes the dead cap until next year (~6m).    I'm not so sure they won't try and find a way to rework his deal.  Pay him around 14-15 million which is only a 3 million more than his dead cap hit.   It keeps a veteran DE on the team for a relatively speaking bargain.   Ingram isn't going to sign anytime soon and with cutting Clark it forces Veach to find a DE before the draft.   I'm ready for all new changes but if we are forces to pay $12 million in dead cap money Frank is a 1st and 2nd down run DE.  

36 minutes ago, Dan4pres said:

My greatest fear is that we let Matthieu walk and re-sign Sorensen because he is a “veteran presence” in the DB room. Spags will push to get/retain a vet and I’m not sure he thinks Thornhill applies. If we let HB walk, we need to get a guy in FA

I just don't understand how in the hell the chiefs can justify resigning Sorenson! However, I would'nt be shocked if they did...

The only thing that could influence the Clark situation is likely his trial. There may be some favorable cap situation for the Chiefs if he's found guilty of something based on his contract and that could push the move a bit further. Other than that every team has the right to name 1 player as a June 1 cut without actually waiting for the date so Clark is the likely receiver of that honor unless Veach doesn't want to push the cap hit back a year.

4 hours ago, Lamardirts said:

There is an exception that you can cut a player pre June 1st as if it was a post June 1st cut.  I guess it depends how aggressive Veach wants to be this offseason because that pushes the dead cap until next year (~6m).    I'm not so sure they won't try and find a way to rework his deal.  Pay him around 14-15 million which is only a 3 million more than his dead cap hit.   It keeps a veteran DE on the team for a relatively speaking bargain.   Ingram isn't going to sign anytime soon and with cutting Clark it forces Veach to find a DE before the draft.   I'm ready for all new changes but if we are forces to pay $12 million in dead cap money Frank is a 1st and 2nd down run DE.  

I’d rather have a couple of young guys FORCED to play, make mistakes, and grow than watching Frank Clark do next to nothing and get dominated by all manner of average to bad tackles in the NFL. I see zero positives to keeping Frank.

I think Clark's real strength is his run stopping ability by setting the edge. We will likely take a step a back in that regard regardless of who else we plug in there. If someone can provide more of a consistent pass rush, hopefully our LBs can handle more of the load in the run game. 

I wonder if there is any thought of moving Sneed to Safety. His game really reminds me more of a younger Matthieu than anything. You can plug him anywhere and he’s a pretty sure tackler. He was a safety in college afterall. If HB isn’t retained, I’d like that move and try to get a FA or draft a CB. If we don’t resign Ward (and I doubt we resign Hughes) the CB room may need as big of an overhaul as the DL.

8 hours ago, Dan4pres said:

I wonder if there is any thought of moving Sneed to Safety. His game really reminds me more of a younger Matthieu than anything. You can plug him anywhere and he’s a pretty sure tackler. He was a safety in college afterall. If HB isn’t retained, I’d like that move and try to get a FA or draft a CB. If we don’t resign Ward (and I doubt we resign Hughes) the CB room may need as big of an overhaul as the DL.

Moving Sneed to S which is a real possibility creates a hole at CB.   Either way we need to find and invest in the secondary in the draft and FA.

13 hours ago, Dan4pres said:

The idea of Sneed at safety isn’ta bad one. He kind of does it already as the slot corner. I think his play making ability would stand out more too. 
i also think Ward will be resigned and brought back. And we would be fine with Ward and Fenton as the starter. Baker is solid depth.  And will be a year removed from his injury now. 
I also think they really like Bootle as a slot guy too. He is very quick and aggressive. He showed skills as a blitzer similar to Sneed. 

But yes they do need to draft another guy early. I would say with one of our 3rd rounders