1 Year Prove It Contracts

I don't remember who we were discussing, but in another thread a troubled player was being discussed.  It was being discussed to bring him in on a 1 year "prove it" deal.  

I am sure that it has worked out for us, but I'm not sure how to find the information.  What are some examples of guys we brought in that had some major question marks that we did a 1 year contract on and then had a successful subsequent contract?  I'm just trying to decide if that's a thing or not.  And I acknowledge that it might be.  

2 hours ago, reesebobby said:

I don't remember who we were discussing, but in another thread a troubled player was being discussed.  It was being discussed to bring him in on a 1 year "prove it" deal.  

I am sure that it has worked out for us, but I'm not sure how to find the information.  What are some examples of guys we brought in that had some major question marks that we did a 1 year contract on and then had a successful subsequent contract?  I'm just trying to decide if that's a thing or not.  And I acknowledge that it might be.  

Believe it was the WR out of Atlanta that was cut. I know Williams and Breeland signed 1 year deals before but they did extend afterwards, just not long term. Honestly can't think of any 1 year deals that led to long term extension of a home run type deal.

Just now, reesebobby said:

I actually thought about Damien.  But he only played 1 more year and only started 6 games that 2nd year.  If he's the best there is, then I'd say the 1 year prove it thing is not a real thing.   

1 year deals are a real thing. It just happens a guy makes good on the deal and signs big elsewhere. We then get a comp pick for it. It works out for us either way. I am sure there are examples of many 1 year guys who hit it big in contract or doing well for playing after a deal like this.

Just now, kkuenn said:

1 year deals are a real thing. It just happens a guy makes good on the deal and signs big elsewhere. We then get a comp pick for it. It works out for us either way. I am sure there are examples of many 1 year guys who hit it big in contract or doing well for playing after a deal like this.

1.  I didn't say they aren't a real thing.  I said if Damien is the best example then they are not a thing.

2.  Give me an example of a 1 year guy that we got a comp pick for.  That would also be interesting and helpful.

11 minutes ago, reesebobby said:

1.  I didn't say they aren't a real thing.  I said if Damien is the best example then they are not a thing.

2.  Give me an example of a 1 year guy that we got a comp pick for.  That would also be interesting and helpful.

Right off the top if my head that lineman who went to the Giants I believe? He did well here and many wanted him resigned. I just can't think of his name.

Not chiefs, but a 1 year deal that turned to a great run for a team was Kurt Warner and Arizona. He signed a 1 year deal, out played Leinart and too them to a SB. Just an example I can think of. I followed Warner because I went to school with him.

6 minutes ago, kkuenn said:

Right off the top if my head that lineman who went to the Giants I believe? He did well here and many wanted him resigned. I just can't think of his name.

Not chiefs, but a 1 year deal that turned to a great run for a team was Kurt Warner and Arizona. He signed a 1 year deal, out played Leinart and too them to a SB. Just an example I can think of. I followed Warner because I went to school with him.

Ok.  So we have Damien and an unnamed lineman that went to another team that might have been the Giants.   :)

Let's keep em coming.  

32 minutes ago, reesebobby said:

Ok.  So we have Damien and an unnamed lineman that went to another team that might have been the Giants.   :)

Let's keep em coming.  

That linemen was a mid season pick up too. God it was not Schwartz but I cannot recall his name. I mean I am giving you what to remember. Maybe you can Google compensation picks and who we took, then figure out for who it was for and if a 1 year deal. I am done trying to do legwork.

Wiesnewski, he signed a 1 year deal and then went to Steelers only to return back to us. 

I cannot remember that mid season starter though on the line that we all wanted back but he signed elsewhere. I thought it was the Giants but could have been philly.

I think they are petty import. McKinnon was nice to have. Remember when we had that string of safeties we had that played well and left. They don’t usually end up getting a pay day from us. They either suck or demand more than we want to pay. I think we will need one or two of those this year.  But yes there are some Longs and Gordons in there as well.

14 minutes ago, jetlord said:

Wasn't Ogbah here on a one year deal?  Wish the Chiefs could have kept him.

Ogbah was a great one year signing that helped us in the comp formula.    In hide sight that 2/15million was a bargain and I'm sure Veach wished he would have taked him on that deal. 

Jarran Reed started slow before being decent at the end.

Alex Okafor.

Bashaud Breeland I think was orginally a one year deal that worked out pretty well for the Chiefs.

None of those guys outside of Ogbah and Breeland were very good but they help filled a spot.

Suggs, Wis, and Ingram also technically one year guys that helped.   

I don't mind the one year deals but if they prohibit younger players from seeing the field then that can be a problem.  Always tricky when you are SB contenders to find the balance in developing young players while putting the best 11 on the field.

Ogbah was good for half the year, then blew his knee.

2 year deal would have been risky in that light.

I hope he’s ok to come back

39 minutes ago, Lamardirts said:

Ogbah was a great one year signing that helped us in the comp formula.    In hide sight that 2/15million was a bargain and I'm sure Veach wished he would have taked him on that deal. 

23 hours ago, kkuenn said:

That linemen was a mid season pick up too. God it was not Schwartz but I cannot recall his name. I mean I am giving you what to remember. Maybe you can Google compensation picks and who we took, then figure out for who it was for and if a 1 year deal. I am done trying to do legwork.

Geoff Schwartz. I think he was a good signing for the Giants as well but got injured early