Mocking the pre-combine

Palangi

CEH trade for a 5th round pick

1. Travon Walker DE Georgia 6’5” 275- prototype DE for Spags. I believe he will be a better pro than college player. Athletic freak    

2. Tariq Woolen CB UTSA 6’3” 205- athletic and long. Will run in the 4.3s. Has sticky coverage.    

3. Alec Pierce WR Cincinnati 6’3” 210- athletic kid with good speed and length. Was the deep threat for Cincinnati. High points the ball really well. Can run the route tree.       

3. Obinna Eze OT TCU 6’7” 335- big athletic kid that transferred from Memphis. Has played left and right tackle. But competes for RT.    

4. Leon O’Neal S Texas A&M 6’1” 210- physical athletic kid. Can play deep or close to the line.    

5. Zaquandre White RB 6’ 215 S Carolina- fast kid with good lateral moves.     

7. Marquan McCall DT Kentucky 6’3” 340- big thick physical kid. Has good explosion on his first step.    

7. Austin Decalus OL LSU 6’5” 325- played RT in college but moved into guard. Can be a swing guard. With the possibility of replacing Thuney a couple years if we need the cap relief.     

7. Kenderick Duncan LB Louisville 6’3” 225- big physical safety in college. Transferred in from Georgia Southern. Moves to play SLB. Linking him up on TEs. Has the coverage skills for LB to excel at this. And the size and strength to be physical too.      

8 minutes ago, jetlord said:

Good draft order.  Might want to find a cover LB a little earlier, but looks good overall.  Do you like Walker over Karlaftis?  Spags likes big guys at DE but speed/agility seem to be more effective.  

Athletic Freak..sometimes is a term used for  "needs a lot of coaching" really want to spend a #1 on that?..just asking

Karlaftis. I was just reading up on him  as he was mocked to KC..seems like an under performer.  yet both are Spags  DE body types.

5th of CEH.. CEH  will be the starter  game one..mark it down. He may not be  a starter game 5 on but I don't see them cuttn bait

7 minutes ago, oldtimer said:

Athletic Freak..sometimes is a term used for  "needs a lot of coaching" really want to spend a #1 on that?..just asking

Karlaftis. I was just reading up on him  as he was mocked to KC..seems like an under performer.  yet both are Spags  DE body types.

5th of CEH.. CEH  will be the starter  game one..mark it down. He may not be  a starter game 5 on but I don't see them cuttn bait

One can wish with CEH. Just like to see us get more dynamic. 
Omeh was an athletic freak coming out of penn state. He has a really good rookie year in Baltimore. Walker was more productive than Omeh in college. And is a day 1 state once drafted. He is a beast against the run. And has a lot of upside as a pass rusher. I don’t think Georgia really put him in position to show this as he played a lot of 4 tech and 4i tech. As most the lineman at Georgia do. Which is why I have some hope for Herring too. Also Myles Garrett was considered an athletic Freak too. I’d also take him. 

Walker has more length than Karlaftis and is faster. So yes I prefer Walker

21 minutes ago, jetlord said:

Good draft order.  Might want to find a cover LB a little earlier, but looks good overall.  Do you like Walker over Karlaftis?  Spags likes big guys at DE but speed/agility seem to be more effective.  

I don’t think coverage LB is as important for us. We have two studs at LB that need to be on the field. And when we go sub packages (which is a majority of the time now) e we shouldn’t be talking either one off. Safeties will be brought in for that role. So bringing back Watts to do this. Or going with O’Neal if we draft him. Key or Anderson I’m sure will also be looked at this. I still think DOD could fill this roller if only given a chance. 
talking a bigger college safety and developing him into a coverage backer seems the best idea. And taking a guy like that should be in the 7th round as a project. 

3 minutes ago, Palangi said:

I don’t think coverage LB is as important for us. We have two studs at LB that need to be on the field. And when we go sub packages (which is a majority of the time now) e we shouldn’t be talking either one off. Safeties will be brought in for that role. So bringing back Watts to do this. Or going with O’Neal if we draft him. Key or Anderson I’m sure will also be looked at this. I still think DOD could fill this roller if only given a chance. 
talking a bigger college safety and developing him into a coverage backer seems the best idea. And taking a guy like that should be in the 7th round as a project. 

It's hard to see DOD having an increased role.  He's had enough time and whether it's his skill level or the way Spags handles him, I don't see anything changing.  A lot depends on whether HB comes back which I doubt. 

1 minute ago, jetlord said:

It's hard to see DOD having an increased role.  He's had enough time and whether it's his skill level or the way Spags handles him, I don't see anything changing.  A lot depends on whether HB comes back which I doubt. 

I don’t expect anything different with DOD either. Just wished they would have given him chances. I think he has flashed when given the opportunity. Much more than Neimann ever has

Just now, Palangi said:

I don’t expect anything different with DOD either. Just wished they would have given him chances. I think he has flashed when given the opportunity. Much more than Neimann ever has

That's a pretty low bar.  🙂

On 3/1/2022 at 2:11 PM, Palangi said:

I don’t know how anyone could think Nieman should be playing in front of DOD.  The speed difference alone is easy to see.

Also, I totally agree that DOD has shown flashes whenever he’s been in on defense.

2 hours ago, Obi Won Mahome said:

I don’t know how anyone could think Nieman should be playing in front of DOD.  The speed difference alone is easy to see.

Also, I totally agree that DOD has shown flashes whenever he’s been in on defense.

But..but..but..Neiman knew the defense and could get the players set.  Don't we all remember how organized the pass defense was last season?  🙂

9 hours ago, jetlord said:

But..but..but..Neiman knew the defense and could get the players set.  Don't we all remember how organized the pass defense was last season?  🙂

Seeing Spags constantly trot out Nieman in front of Gay, Bolton, and DOD & seeing the same result every damn time (1st downs or TDS for opposing offense) made me want to punch the f-ing television.  

It was inexcusable.  There’s no way in hell you can tell me Nieman was better than either of the 3 LBs I mentioned above.

59 minutes ago, Obi Won Mahome said:

Seeing Spags constantly trot out Nieman in front of Gay, Bolton, and DOD & seeing the same result every damn time (1st downs or TDS for opposing offense) made me want to punch the f-ing television.  

It was inexcusable.  There’s no way in hell you can tell me Nieman was better than either of the 3 LBs I mentioned above.

I feel ya brother

On 3/3/2022 at 6:03 PM, Obi Won Mahome said:

I don't know about Spags individually but a lot of players' coaches have trouble benching crappy veterans in favor of youngsters and keep looking for ways to utilize the useless guys over and over.