Joe McKnight Ruptures Achilles' Tendon

Chiefs RB Joe McKnight ruptured his Achilles' tendon in Thursday's practice.

What a tough blow for McKnight after he had a career-game last Sunday against the Dolphins. Taking over as the Chiefs' primary passing-down back with Jamaal Charles (ankle) sidelined, McKnight caught six passes for 64 yards and two touchdowns. Coach Andy Reid used him like Dexter McCluster. McKnight will head to injured reserve. He's not under contract for the 2015 season.

unbelievable..

3 in less than 4 weeks?...

There was a poster on another site who went to all fan-allowed events (or so he claimed and wrote detailed accounts) that said LAST YEAR that the conditioning was the worst he's seen, worse than previous administrations. People blasted him for it and after a few inside joke references to it in other threads, he left or stopped posting. Was it true or someone just being negative?

I tell you again, you bring all our badness! Just kidding. Football-wise, it's ok, but personally, I wanted it to work out (although there aren't too many that I don't personally want to work out). Sometimes, I will put up with not personally liking a player if he can perform. But this time, I wanted both.

I tell you again, you bring all our badness! Just kidding. Football-wise, it's ok, but personally, I wanted it to work out (although there aren't too many that I don't personally want to work out). Sometimes, I will put up with not personally liking a player if he can perform. But this time, I wanted both.

It is sad coming off of a career game for him.  Reminds me off Kimble Anders.  That was heart breaking.

It's crazy.... there are rarely ever three Achilles tendon tears in the entire NFL - over the course of the whole season.  To have three on one team in the span of less than four-weeks is statistically improbable.

I don't think it's a conditioning issue as the team has appeared to be battling at the ends of each of the first three games and have not looked physically over-matched from a conditioning standpoint.

I feel bad for Joe and truly hope this is the last of the season ending injuries this Chief's team sees this year.  

The NFL and NFLPA are the culprits for this with their limitations they've placed on team's off season regimens.

I am leaning to this as well.  The guys are being babied too much for the physicality of the sport.  The bodies can't take it once they get full speed. 

I've said this before but there are several players who were saying the same thing last year.

It is sad coming off of a career game for him.  Reminds me off Kimble Anders.  That was heart breaking.

Yep. Anders was one of my favorites. He was good friends with a woman I worked with and I got to meet and chat with him several times. He was a good dude. Hated seeing his career end like that. 

Lots of weird news lately. Catapano was quietly placed on IR and lost for the year recently. It was disclosed he needed surgery to cure of GI problem in his gut. Then it was announced he suffered a concussion. This from a guy who has not been on the field at all during the preseason forward. 

Spontaneous Achilles ruptures are extremely rare. They are more common with older people who have taken oral steroids over a long period of time. For relatively young athletes, it is not at all common. 

Lots of weird news lately. Catapano was quietly placed on IR and lost for the year recently. It was disclosed he needed surgery to cure of GI problem in his gut. Then it was announced he suffered a concussion. This from a guy who has not been on the field at all during the preseason forward. 

Spontaneous Achilles ruptures are extremely rare. They are more common with older people who have taken oral steroids over a long period of time. For relatively young athletes, it is not at all common. 

If it is the same problem that Brock Lesner had, he could be out a while.  Lesner was laid up for over 2 years and lost a ton of weight before surgery to fix the problem.  He had diverticulitis (sp?), which can literally eat holes through your intestines if infection persists.

If it is the same problem that Brock Lesner had, he could be out a while.  Lesner was laid up for over 2 years and lost a ton of weight before surgery to fix the problem.  He had diverticulitis (sp?), which can literally eat holes through your intestines if infection persists.

I do too & yes it sucks

It's crazy.... there are rarely ever three Achilles tendon tears in the entire NFL - over the course of the whole season. To have three on one team in the span of less than four-weeks is statistically improbable.

I don't think it's a conditioning issue as the team has appeared to be battling at the ends of each of the first three games and have not looked physically over-matched from a conditioning standpoint.

I feel bad for Joe and truly hope this is the last of the season ending injuries this Chief's team sees this year.

There are 14 in the nfl so far this year. Quick Google search says average of 5.2 per year over the last 5 years.

Most tears are from ball sports and racket sports evidently.

There are 14 in the nfl so far this year. Quick Google search says average of 5.2 per year over the last 5 years.

Most tears are from ball sports and racket sports evidently.

Whew, finally a single digit handicap. I was worried about my Achilles stress ripping 3 irons.

Archived