Brown to get the tag.

I think this is the smart way to go. First of all if there's cap space for now there's no reason to waste time with your own guys as you can always look into details over the summer. More importantly I think Brown staying on the tag unless he wants a team friendly deal makes a bit more sense to me. He's definitely much better compared to the beginning of the season but it doesn't hurt to have him earn the big paycheck if he wants something closer to the top. 

This isn’t a big deal.  We can’t let him hit free agency.   This is merely to buy time to work out the long term deal.  If those stall then it might be an issue but at 17 million and being our LT can’t imagine he is going to be super mad.   

12 hours ago, CranjisMcbasketball said:

Who protects the franchise when he’s here?

He does.  When Mahomes hangs in the pocket, Brown does just fine, especially later in the season.  HIs weakness is on speed rushers going around the end when the QB makes deep drops.  The Chiefs have adjusted and can live with Brown long term.  Not sure what your problem is with him that makes you want to get rid of the only LT the Chiefs have.  Would a rookie do better or is there a FA the Chiefs could get cheaper?  

4 minutes ago, jetlord said:

He does.  When Mahomes hangs in the pocket, Brown does just fine, especially later in the season.  HIs weakness is on speed rushers going around the end when the QB makes deep drops.  The Chiefs have adjusted and can live with Brown long term.  Not sure what your problem is with him that makes you want to get rid of the only LT the Chiefs have.  Would a rookie do better or is there a FA the Chiefs could get cheaper?  

This! 

4 hours ago, jetlord said:

So we agree but come to different conclusions.

i dont want to teach mahomes to play in the pocket because our LT is burnt by speed rush. I want a LT owns speed rush but is weak on bull rush or inside moves. Then mahomes can do what he does best and escape the pocket and roll outside.

i dont want to pay a LT 25 mil a year that is opposite of our QBs strengths.

i want to tag and and trade orlando to the bears for a 2nd and 4th or something. Try to find a similar talent LT(wont be too hard) and if that fails move thuney to LT for a year.

35 minutes ago, CranjisMcbasketball said:

So we agree but come to different conclusions.

i dont want to teach mahomes to play in the pocket because our LT is burnt by speed rush. I want a LT owns speed rush but is weak on bull rush or inside moves. Then mahomes can do what he does best and escape the pocket and roll outside.

i dont want to pay a LT 25 mil a year that is opposite of our QBs strengths.

i want to tag and and trade orlando to the bears for a 2nd and 4th or something. Try to find a similar talent LT(wont be too hard) and if that fails move thuney to LT for a year.

Mahomes has to learn to play in the pocket regardless of who his LT is. He can't play sandlot football for 60 minutes.

I posed this question to another member here a few months ago. So I will ask you too...

Offensive lineman are taught to work together and create a pocket. This is something that takes place as early as they have real coaching available. High-school, college, NFL. They are taught to block certain way. Just like QBs are taught to play within that pocket. That's what an offensive line is for. To protect the QB. 

So if Mahomes is gonna bail constantly bail on the pocket, what are you teaching your offensive line to do? How can you teach an offensive line to block for a QB who goes off script constantly?

Conversely how can you coach Mahomes that way? How can you coach a player to not worry about what his line is doing? Not to learn how to climb the pocket, but to run around like a madman and wait for someone to break away from coverage. 

@Iluvhouse24

everything you said is correct. Simply put if mahomes is going to bail on the pocket, and this is something I don’t want to coach out of him, why pay top dollar to try to make a pocket?

im not saying eric fischer was a god, but when he got beat it was ugly and mahomes could see it and adapt.

with brown, when he gets beat its around the edge and mahomes gets annihilation without warning. This is what i want to avoid.

its all about how we want to spend our cap dollars, and im in the wide receiver and d line camp. Not average LT payed at elite LT camp

6 hours ago, DieHard said:

Brown is probably a little above average, but he is young and visibly improving. If you got rid of him, I don't know where you get his replacement or how much that would cost. Worst case we franchise him twice.  $17 then $20.4. There is no way I would let him walk until I had to. 

If they think it's not going to lead anywhere then 2 years is enough time to look into a young replacement that can be groomed from the swing tackle role. The prices seem fair to just see how he progresses but honestly I think he gets the big deal next year if he performs consistently at a strong level throughout the season.

35 minutes ago, sith13 said:

If they think it's not going to lead anywhere then 2 years is enough time to look into a young replacement that can be groomed from the swing tackle role. The prices seem fair to just see how he progresses but honestly I think he gets the big deal next year if he performs consistently at a strong level throughout the season.

Agreed. It buys some time. I think he gets it this year, but I don’t know.