HB for what it's worth

21 minutes ago, sith13 said:

Nice to see them taking the financially conservative approach on this one. IMO HB bringing in a 4th in FA is more valuable than the draft pick he saves us for the same contract. 

are you saying we'd get a 4rth round comp pick if he goes? How's that work?

6 minutes ago, Lamardirts said:

We aren’t getting any comps this year as we will be buyers.  

Not really sure about that. Broncos kept signing FAs only to get high picks for those that left, so there are some discrepancies with the whole thing. However regardless of the shenanigans I think we lose Ward, HB, Reid and sign a WR that would basically negate Reid and a big money DB that would cancel out either one we lose. 

4 minutes ago, DieHard said:

HB will be offered more than we can are willing to pay IMO. Not a Huge loss. 

FIFY.

That being said all things being equal he'd probably just prefer to come back . Sure will be interesting to see what the market is for an aged/ lost a step and arm tackling but smart Safety 

5 minutes ago, DieHard said:

HB will be offered more than we can pay IMO. Huge loss. 

No, huge win. I believe his downward slide in his play has begun. We cant afford to pay players 30 years plus, at certain positions, premium money and expect to retain others. This will lead to possibly a comp pick and we can use this money to sign other areas of need. Now, I know it will suck to lose his leadership and knowledge of the defense, but others will have to pick up this role. We are in already for a few years of this defense, so it wont be to bad to have someone know it well enough to do this role. Also the fact we can use the draft/FA for a younger player wont be so bad, especially if the cost is right.

12 minutes ago, kkuenn said:

No, huge win. I believe his downward slide in his play has begun. We cant afford to pay players 30 years plus, at certain positions, premium money and expect to retain others. This will lead to possibly a comp pick and we can use this money to sign other areas of need. Now, I know it will suck to lose his leadership and knowledge of the defense, but others will have to pick up this role. We are in already for a few years of this defense, so it wont be to bad to have someone know it well enough to do this role. Also the fact we can use the draft/FA for a younger player wont be so bad, especially if the cost is right.

This

1 hour ago, kkuenn said:

If we can get a good safety that can play slot, deep, rush the passer, box safety and emotional leader of the D, we will be fine.  But that is what we are losing. Our safeties are not very good. Thornhill is average at best. Dan and Watts are not starters. So financially we are better off without him, but not on the field. He is a damn good safety. I am not saying give him a big contract, but I find it hard to say honestly he is not a big loss.

2 hours ago, oldtimer said:

FIFY.

That being said all things being equal he'd probably just prefer to come back . Sure will be interesting to see what the market is for an aged/ lost a step and arm tackling but smart Safety 

I'm hoping the market is enough to lure him away to somewhere else.  I like the guy, but I believe his play is going to slide a lot, and I wasn't impressed with his play last year.  Yes, he's good at being the field general, helping people get lined up correctly and all that, but on the physical side, his play just isn't trending in the right direction.  Bringing him back, even if its for 80% of what he thinks he's worth, is the kind of move that teams make that hurt them down the road.  For the entirety of the Brady era, this is a move that the Pats wouldn't have made, they'd absolutely let him walk and immediately go a different direction.  I really hope we tell him "thanks but no thanks" and close the door on being here no matter what.  The defense needs to get younger and better, and a 30 year old declining safety doesn't accomplish either of those objectives. 

20 minutes ago, moons314 said:

I'm hoping the market is enough to lure him away to somewhere else.  I like the guy, but I believe his play is going to slide a lot, and I wasn't impressed with his play last year.  Yes, he's good at being the field general, helping people get lined up correctly and all that, but on the physical side, his play just isn't trending in the right direction.  Bringing him back, even if its for 80% of what he thinks he's worth, is the kind of move that teams make that hurt them down the road.  For the entirety of the Brady era, this is a move that the Pats wouldn't have made, they'd absolutely let him walk and immediately go a different direction.  I really hope we tell him "thanks but no thanks" and close the door on being here no matter what.  The defense needs to get younger and better, and a 30 year old declining safety doesn't accomplish either of those objectives. 

Remember that time Belichick signed Rodney Harrison to a 6 year contract when he was 2 years older than HB and coming off injury.

a47.jpg

1 minute ago, DieHard said:

I would be good with S or DL at 30. I know we need WR but the other position seem more desperate.

A top safety to replace HB in the first, an edge to replace Clark in the second, and a cover LB to replace Nieman in the third with a WR to replace Robinson with the other third would be a successful draft IMHO.   As always, it depends on FA and how the board shakes out. 

2 minutes ago, jetlord said:

A top safety to replace HB in the first, an edge to replace Clark in the second, and a cover LB to replace Nieman in the third with a WR to replace Robinson with the other third would be a successful draft IMHO.   As always, it depends on FA and how the board shakes out. 

I would agree with that. Might favor DL over LB. We need starters for 2 DE and 1 DT. I would like to see at least 2 DL out of the top half of the draft. 

Its becoming apparent that our needs  exceed what we can get in the draft...Veach is a great GM but the 2021 Draft is not the norm.

If we pass on HB, we need to replace both Hitchens and HB- the 2 leaders of the d.

w

I have always wondered this though: if HB was a transformational player, why is he going to be on his 4th team before age 30?

He wasn’t anywhere near as good last year and seemed like he was getting caught up in nonsense too much. I am perfectly fine letting a team break the bank for him that isn’t KC.

6 minutes ago, Thegoatee said:

I have always wondered this though: if HB was a transformational player, why is he going to be on his 4th team before age 30?

He wasn’t anywhere near as good last year and seemed like he was getting caught up in nonsense too much. I am perfectly fine letting a team break the bank for him that isn’t KC.

thats a great question and part of me thinks just maybe his reputation out of College was such that teams took a chance where underwhelmed for the cost and moved on.

2 minutes ago, Thegoatee said:

He had one year in Houston, 4 in AZ and 3 in KC. I don’t know about transformational, but definitely one of the most versatile safeties. And I agree that we can’t break the bank for him. Pretty durable also with missing only 1 start in the last five years. He should get paid somewhere.